Securing (locking) a tree stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Securing (locking) a tree stand

Post by Pydpiper »

I am going to pick up my first ladder stand tomorrow, it will find a nice location when the time is right..
While it is on the tree is there a way to make it too much of a hassle for someone to steal? It will be in a fairly safe location (if there is such a thing..) but I don't want to have to worry about it all the time..
Anybody have any success deterring thieves?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Not to sound negative but locks only keep honest people honest . I had a ladder stand cable locked to a tree this year and the dishonest shotgun carrying thief still got the stand .It took three BB shots but they finally blew off the lock (they left the empties) . A thief is a thief and this was on private land . Up until this year this is the first time the cable lock didn`t work for I have even used them on grca land .
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a bicycle cable lock on mine.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Interesting points of view, thanks.
I am getting a 2 man ladder stand so I can bring my son up with me, he is 4. For that reason I am getting a brand name, for that extra bit of mental comfort.. If it were for just me I would be happy duct taped to a branch. In this instance I am going to get something with a reputation, but I will definitely keep that in mind.
I was hoping someone would come along and say that I could cable each section.. I could and would hear a gunshot from my home, but my intention is to be in the stand :D . We will be going with 4 wheelers to set it up so a few extra chains won't be a biggie..
I would absolutely hate to have to take this thing apart each day I hunt, but if that's what it is going to take..
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Um, no. I wasn't serious about the duct tape.
I was making reference to the fact that if it was for myself I would compromise my purchase on a different scale.
I am buying the cheapest 2 man stand I can buy, what else can I do? Unfortunately these stands are not manufactured by the same companies that can provide you with single ladder stands or climbers, once you get to the two man they all start sounding the same, and unfortunately, costing the same. No matter what brand I buy there will be a brand new stand in the woods, strapped to a tree. I am just trying to determine the best way of protecting that investment, I certainly don't hunt with my cheque book.. Actually, I have never hunted.. :D
This is all a learning path for me..
Besides, I have way too many other uses for my duct tape. :D
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

What got me was the cable lock was worth half as much as the stand . It was a 69 dollar special from basspro and the lock was 25 dollars from ctc . The lock was suppose to be tamper proof but I guess they never thought about 2 3/4 BB`s .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a master lock here hanging on a storage door in my shop, supposed to be as close to being resistant to picking/breakage/theft as you could get, I lost the key. I drilled 1/4 hole in it one day with a cordless drill and it popped right open. I feel your pain.. :wink:
I thought maybe if I used 4 or 5 of them it would lessen the odds, but by the sounds of this I may just come back to find a small part of the stand remaining, surrounded by some broken locks.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Pydpiper don`t get me wrong they do deter thieves it is just if they want it they will get it , one way or another . As I said it took three shots at close range with the person standing with barrel but inchs from the lock to blow it apart.
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

wabi wrote:I use a bicycle cable lock on mine.

Me too.

The only one I've ever had stolen was before I got the cable lock.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Is a cable more resistant to chain to theft out there?

I keep thinking about a snowmobile I see for sale on a local country road, chained to a hydro pole by a chain with links about an inch thick..
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Most aggree; a lock will only stop an honest person!

We had stands stolen before and it makes you even more upset when they tresspass to take them.

Now a change of purchases will deter them.

All of our stands take two men and a strong boy to put up.

Hopefully the would be thief will get a hernia stealing them;or they knock themselves senseless; they are approximately 90#each and awkward.

Oneshot..........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Pydpiper wrote: I would absolutely hate to have to take this thing apart
and the person thinking of taking it would say the same thing. The more a stand weighs the harder it would be for someone to take anyway.

but like said above, if someone wants it they will get it. Chains and locks are pointless, since they make bolt cutters :P

also, sometimes the cheaper stands might be the best bet. They all have to meet safety standards and I'd rather someone steal my 100buck stand than a 300dollar one :shock: One reason I usually get the 40buck fixed stands. Most hunters wont even climb up in them. Plus im tall, and 80% of people cant even climb up the pegs to mine anyway 8)

best bet for a stand not being stolen is to keep it hidden. Dont leave tape and crap for yardage markings or finding your way to the stand. Most hunters will walk right by a stand and not even notice it, if its hidden well. Hope that helps some
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Well I have to give you my opinion on this thread.

I own about 14 treestands portibles and latter stand. I have owned these for years and most times leave them in the woods. I know hunters that tresspass see them all the time, but this is what I started to do with every stand of mine that heads for the Outdoors.

Every stand is set with a Chain wielded onto the stand around the seat area. The chain is measured where at most times the locking point is right with any ratchet straps or any main part of the stand on the other side of the climbing side. Latter stand lock close to the tree Claw above the plat forum.

Yes, Bolt cutters will take most of these stands off, but if someone is walking around with bolt cutters in the woods, then he is a thief before he takes any stands. As for shooting off the locks , well if you are going to shoot it off , then the damage to the stand will not be worth taking the stand, so Why shoot it off. If you want to take a close shot while on the stand to save the stand , Be my guest :lol: its your life not mine :wink:
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I totally agree, locks, cables & chains won't stop a thief.

I have two tree stands. Both stands are located a 3/4 mile from the nearest road. They are only a few hundred yards from the house. We have problems with trepassers on the property during the hunting season. One year during the hunting season a farmer/land owner constantly patrolled the area to keep trepassing to a minimum, but he is a hunter also and did not get much time to hunt that year.

One is a two man ladder and the other is an older model treelounge. That tree lounge is so darn heavy I don't think any one else would want it. But I do lock it to a tree with cable & master lock. As AJH mentioned if they are going to shoot it off they will ruin the stand.

Likewise with the ladder stand. ($89) That top portion of the two man ladder is so large it is not easy to carry. They more likely would steal the ladder sections. If someone wants to steal it no locks, cables or chains will stop them.
Last edited by Sierra on Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
rutman

Post by rutman »

I have been running the same program for years. I share most of my hunting permissions with several different gun and bow hunters. I don't mess with their stuff and they don't mess with mine. I did however, catch one of them hunting from one of my baited stands once. I just said your in my stand tonight, stay in it, this had better be the last time you are ever caught even walking near any of my set ups.... :evil:
I use alot of chain on portables paddolocked to the tree. The I use 7 removable steps at the bottom of the tree. This isn't fool proof but nothing is. Either they have to have the same steps or bring a ladder and bolt cutters. I think it would be easier to spend that much time and effort at work and buy a new stand. I am still batting 1000 to date though. :D
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!