SHOT THE STRYKER TODAY ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rutman wrote:4. My present bow makes my left hand sieze up and go to sleep after a long sit so weight is important. Why would anyone want a heavier bow?
I forgot all about that also.... if you dont have a rest or somewhere to hang the bow, then I usually have to rest it on my leg, which suks after 20mins since my leg is numb from the weight. Then that makes the whole hunting in the stand experience crap cause you have to move to get feeling back LOL.

like everyone though, some want the fastest made.. but normally they end up going back to the one thats not the fastest, but works better in day to day situations.. I think thats why some went back to the phoenix and the exocet for hunting
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Kind of like asking "why do people own a 44 mag or a 7MM". I've never owned them, but, I like holding that power in my hand. I like feeling the raw power at discharge, it's a thrill.

Look at the "thrill" factor and you will find most of the answer. Ego is the remaining . . .

Owning a crossbow has nothing to do with the ability of existing weapons. . .overall we like the speed, accuracy and power and want more of it. Otherwise, we would all be sporting a well balanced spear. :(
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I think hunters should be careful to hunt with a weapon that is capable of getting the intended job done ... and I think that is a reasonable target for regulation ... a hunter should carry an arm that can cleanly kill the hunted animal, so as to prevent inhumane wounding.

If a weapon is more than capable of getting the job done, what's the problem, and why does anyone care? I don't understand all this vehement objection to the Stryker.

If someone wants to hunt our 125 lb. Eastern Carolina deer with a Wesley Richards double in .600 Nitro Express, I don't care.

I don't care if the round over-penetrates.
I don't care if it makes more noise than necessary.
I don't care if it pounds their shoulder into sausage meat.
I don't care if they have an ego the size of Texas.
I don't care if they think using it makes them cool.
I don't care if they just like it and want to use it.

And I don't care if someone wants to shoot a Stryker.

I don't understand why so many do care.

:?

I believe that if I choose to buy an Excalibur recurve crossbow and find that I like it and enjoy shooting it, then other folks should respect my choice and grant me freedom to use the tool of my choosing ... and I'm going to grant the same freedom I expect to others.

If someone likes and wants to shoot a Stryker, they have my blessing to do so without my criticisms. It's a big world with lots of room for difference in such matters. :)
Grizz
rutman

Post by rutman »

Agreed! Opinions are no different than freedoms of choice. We are all entitled to them. Those questions just reflect mine!. I do care and am interested in seeing and hearing new ideas or I wouldn't spend any of my time on forums like this one.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

We all have to ask ourselves one question; do we want a bow shooting 400+ fps. Sumner4991 brought up the subject of a well balanced spear to hunt with. Well thats exactly what we used to do until someone came up with an idea to launch that spear with a stick and string which we now call a bow and spear hunting on that day became extinct. I hunt with a bow so it forces me to get close and personal with the game I am hunting. These new super speed bows are only rationalizing long range shooting to hunters; especially new and inexperienced hunters. I own two rifles, a sluggun and a muzzleloader that I use for longer range non personal hunting. Bowhunting is supposed to be hard. Thats why we get a special season and even special hours in most states (1/2 hour after sunset). I know it will bring up heated debates on how fast is too fast and everything else in between. But like everyone else on this forum I love to bowhunt more than any other type of hunting and I do not want to see more and more regulations or less and less of a special season due to the fact that these new super bows are more comparable to a firearm than a bow. We really need to keep the bow in bowhunting.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I

I believe that if I choose to buy an Excalibur recurve crossbow and find that I like it and enjoy shooting it, then other folks should respect my choice and grant me freedom to use the tool of my choosing ... and I'm going to grant the same freedom I expect to others.

If someone likes and wants to shoot a Stryker, they have my blessing to do so without my criticisms. It's a big world with lots of room for difference in such matters. :)
well said... we all have opinions and this is a message board where people will post their opinions. I personally dont want it, but thats my opinion. If someone else does, let them spend the cash to get it. I was expressing that its down sides outweigh the pluses for me. But for someone else it might be different..

this is no more than a ford vs GM battle LOL.. to each their own :D BTW, chevy's kick fords azzes though :D
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Crazyfarmer ...

I'm going to have to stick with GMC. :wink:
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Just a few comments for clarification:

I do care about preserving our common heritage of hunting (all methods, all weapons).

I do care about promoting our various enthusiasms (all methods, all weapons).

I do care about hearing what others think (thus my love for this forum).

I do care about mindful interchange between thoughtful people (see above).

What I was getting at was that I don't care if someone wants to buy and shoot and hunt with the newest, biggest, baddest, fastest, whatever-est on the market. If that floats their boat, that's all right with the Grizz.

I do have an opinion about the Stryker (don't we all), and I guess I might as well toss mine out for consideration.

I think it's a carefully crafted response to the "performance edge" market in a field that's seeing steadily expanding growth. Crossbows are becoming more acceptable in general, and are catching the interest of many vertical archers who grew up entirely within the high-performance compound age. The Stryker is clearly geared toward these younger shooters, and older ones who are always looking for the latest greatest so-called performance advantage ... the sort who trade their compounds in every year.

I know many of you make quite a lot out of it, but I don't think the Stryker is all that big of a deal, or that it is really plowing any new ground. So Bowtech took a compound crossbow, tweaked the cam design a little, played with the riser design, lengthened the power stroke, dressed it up snazzy and sent it out in the market to play ... so what?

It's still a crossbow. It still shoots bolts. They're still going to drop like a bad habit past moderate yardages. The Law of Diminishing Returns will certainly apply. I don't think it is all that much of a threat ... to deer or to bow seasons.

I believe retrospect will prove the Stryker and it's like to be a lot like the big super-magnum rifle cartridges. Lots of flash, lots of noise, lots of whump on both ends ... but incapable of doing the intended job much better than old standards that perform without lightning, thunder and pain. And, as is the case with many riflemen with "magnumitis," most who depend on the perceived advantages of a bow like the Stryker will probably prove themselves incapable of using it as effectively as a less awesome tool.

Let the Stryker have it's day, and it's fans their fun. I think the old saying will prove true again: "This too shall pass."

When the inevitable overkill offerings have faded into memory, solidly designed tools that have done the job for years will still be around to carry the day ... and take us forward ... back to the future, if you will.

There will always be something to say for simplicity, reliability, and efficiency. Worry not.
Grizz
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Good post there Grizz :D
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Jim ...

You like GMCs too? :D
Grizz
Swede

Post by Swede »

I agree with sumner4991....

I am a recurve man and I guess I will stay that way but I think most of us are attracted to speed. I do remember so many postings I read in this forum talking about the power and speed of the Exomax.

I am looking forward in trying the Stryker...but I am sure I will stay with Excalibur.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Jim ...

You like GMCs too? :D
actually my wife had a couple suburbans-the last one was so bad she went to arbitration and GM had to buy it back-got a ford excursion after that. She thinks its OK. Me, I drive a used lexus with 150K on it

Never could put that sort of miles on the fords I had when I was younger and poorer :D
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizz for pres;) Since Hillary is running you might as well 8) :D I'd vote for you over her LOL

GMC does have the better front end though :lol: