Any other woodburners out there?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Any other woodburners out there?

Post by DrDan »

I must admit, one of my favorite things about winter is stoking my woodstove. For years and years I was always cold in my house while listening to my forced air furnace suck up gas all night long. Last year, I installed a woodstove (Earth Stove with thermostat damper) and this house has been so comfortable ever since... Guy next to me cleared a woods to build a pole building and I get about 5 cords of cherry and it smells so good burning. Just love it and don't really even mind getting up once a night to chunk it full of wood. I usually get arthritic if I been laying over 4 or 5 hours so I get up and have a drink of water or OJ and fuel the stove and when I go back to bed it is nice sleeping the rest of the night. Just got a couple cords of red elm and wow that stuff burns hot and slow. Also like hickory, oak and locust.

Just wondered if any of the rest of you have a stove in your house. I don't really like giving my money to the oil and gas people.

DrDan
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I don't have one yet but it's in the plans for the next house. Does having a wood burning stove effect your house insurance?

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
TYE

Post by TYE »

I love the smell of a wood stove :)
BUCKSHOT

Yep

Post by BUCKSHOT »

We have one for sure!
It's a lot nicer for heating the house when the power goes out!
I find it is a lot of good healthy work and family time in the bush!
Cost a little extra for the insurance but not too bad!
After being out in the cold it pays to have a little Nap by the stove! :wink:
Enjoy the Harvest!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Many years ... both coal and wood experience, without any sort of backup heat. Freestanding airtight and outdoor furnace. I'd like to see all the wood I've cut, split, stacked and stoked.

Don't do it anymore. Dust and ash is bad for my bronchitis. And it's so temperate here in east NC anymore that burning wood is difficult ... have to choke 'er down so much that it's problematic ... creosote buildup is inevitable.

Think I'll sell firewood to the romantics from now on, once I get in the new house. I like the effect, but it's bad for me.
Grizz
Lucky Lar

Post by Lucky Lar »

I 've been burning wood as our only heat source since 1980.
My son and I have a pole skidder and a saw mill so I always got lots of slab wood or tree tops to burn. I love being out in the woods doing all that stuff. I made a living with the skidder cutting logs and pulp wood for a couple of years. That was hard dangerous work. I didn't like that.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I wish I had a woodstove in the house..
I heat my shop with wood, and also have a woodstove on the deck. I seem go go through enough wood to justify another way to burn it..
MADMAX2

WOOD STOVE

Post by MADMAX2 »

He who cuts his own wood gets heated by it twice!!There is no other heat that will give the warmth of a wood stove.We even bring a halve a cord of the good stuff (HARDWOOD) up moose hunting with us to northern ontario for the stove in our wall tent. Only thing up there to burn is gofer wood,ya put a piece in and ya have to go for more.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

My parents have a wood furnace with oil backup. Also a wood burning cook stove. I love going home and feeling that penetrating heat of the cook stove in the spam. Sure warms you up after being outside in the winter weather.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I have an airtight Vermont Hearthstone stove down at my cabin in PA,and it has served us well over 14 seasons of hunting and also when we go down over the winter.
These are a cast iron frame,with granite sides and top that hold the heat for hours.
It has a glass door front,so you can watch the fire burning away.
Puts out 40,000 BTU,and heats the place up in no time.
Just love getting out there with the chain saw,and my little electric powered hydraulic splitter,and cut away!
Bob Vandrish.
the elf

Post by the elf »

Bob Vandrish---------can you please provide more details about your electric splitter ? size log length and thickness etc. and amperage requirements etc. Thank you . Elf.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Mine is a Delta woodsplitter,4 ton capacity.
I use a 50 foot,12 gauge extension cord,as all wiring in PA is 12 ga or larger.
I do not know the amp rating,but would estimate it at less than 10 amps.
They now have 5 ton capacity,and mine will do a 12-14" diameter log,up to 20" long,without any problems.
My neighbour down there was so impressed that he bought a 5 ton unit that I bought for him here in Canada,and took down to him-it is even better than mine!
IMHO,these are the best thing since sliced bread!
You can find them at Rona,Home Depot,and Can Tire stores,and you are looking at around $500,in most cases.(Northern Tool have them in the US)
I paid a bit more than that a few years ago,but Delta had a captive market back then,and priced them accordingly.
A very efficient little unit!
Bob Vandrish.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My Grandad is 90 yrs old and still cuts, stacks, splits, and stokes. Incredible. I cut a couple of loads of wood for him on my last hunting trip to VA. That's hard work.

Keep those wood stoves . . .it will keep you young!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

sumner4991 wrote:My Grandad is 90 yrs old and still cuts, stacks, splits, and stokes. Incredible. I cut a couple of loads of wood for him on my last hunting trip to VA. That's hard work.

Keep those wood stoves . . .it will keep you young!
Cutting stacking and splitting at 90, now that is impressive.. :D
Allan

Post by Allan »

DrDAn,
I have been cutting fire wood since I was about 12 years old. It started as a summer (fall ) job. I have since bought my own home and it is heated 90% with wood. We burn about 20 to 22 face cords. We used to use dutch elm as a primary wood source. It was the most popular dead wood on the 100 acres. Throughout the years an old field was taken over by tamarack (larch). These trees grew fast and straight. We have used many for building and many more for fire wood. Tamarack burns slow and gives off a lot of heat, but not much flame. I do prefer splitting tamarack compared to elm. Butternut and maple split easily also.

MADMAX2 I disagree with you. He who cuts his own firewood gets heated 3 times
1 cutting it in the fall
2 putting it in the wood shed/basement/porch/whatever, in the summer
3 Burning it in the winter.

The problem is that one usually doesn't want to be heated in the summer (when I put it in the wood shed).

But it is the best feeling walking from -22 C after outdoor chores, into a toasty house that is about 25 C. Kinda makes you want snoooze.