Snowshoeing after Coyotes and Jack Rabbits ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Snowshoeing after Coyotes and Jack Rabbits ...

Post by R.J. »

Had a hearty breakfast ( steak and eggs ) with Greylag and his neighbor Joe ...

Using some tips I picked up from Outdoorz ... we headed out to scout out some Coyote cover , chase Jack Rabbits , and scout the geese flights for the late season in Feb .

Ist property we headed into had some rolling terrain with some creek bottom deep cover .... similar to the cover I saw in the Winter Magic DVD I got from Outdoorz ...

Well things heated up in a hurry ! :lol: :lol:

Greylag and Joe are working a fence line to my North ... and I head down to the creek bottom cover , when out of the blue approx 10 mins into the adventure , I see deer moving West to East ? ... the wind is good for me so I pull out the camera and snap a few pictures as they pass between us ...

The deer stop and look back ? I continue to snap frames of them with my 200mm lens until they pass by...... I'm thinking " what spooked them ? " :?

Then , I put the camera away and start to walk again I look in the distance and see two shadowy figures slinking thru the next fence line approx 200 + yards away ... I look thru my 12 power scope and see they are coyotes tracking the deer ... ( question answered ) ...

No time for the camera ... they are coming hard , so I track them in the scope and as soon as the 1st one starts into the field he locks on to me and starts to turn ... too late I smack the trigger of my Remington 700 and bowl him over with a shot in the chest ... he leaps about 5 jumps back thru the fence line and crumples ...

I snowshoe the 200 yards and see the blood trail on the other side of the fenceline....

I snap a picture of him lying in the field while another deer watches in the background ( see her in the top of the frame ? )... it is a small doe and she sprints off to catch up with the others ...

It turns out to be a young male .... mangy from just behind the shoulders to the end of the tail ( it looked like a possum tail ) ... I took a couple of quick frames of the head and teeth since they were the only healthy looking part of him ... and waited for the guys to come down my way ...

We continue on .... move some Jack Rabbits off the fenceline and Joe connects with a beauty !

Hat's off to Vern and Joe .... they are both 68 years old and can still run most guys half their age into the ground on snowshoes ! :lol: :lol:

We had a great day out .... the fresh air will make us all sleep easy tonight !

PS : Outdoorz wasn't kidding about that creek bottom cover ! .... seems to be where the yotes were today ! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by R.J. on Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Digger

Post by Digger »

Looks like an enjoyable day with nature Rick, some nore great pics, Thanks
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Big John

snowshoes

Post by Big John »

Look's like an excellent time had by all. :)
Took care of a Yote, brought home Rabbit snacks, seen some Deer.
Sounds like it couldn't get much better! 8)

Thank's for the pic's again. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Hipwader

Post by Hipwader »

Awesome Awesome AWESOME...RJ your just like Merlin Perkins and the untamed world... :D
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

great pics
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

R.J., once again great pics of beautiful countryside, and this time you managed to shoot with both your cam and gun. :wink: Awesome.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Those are some amazing pics R.J!!! Those deer in full flight are one of the best pics you have taken!! AWESOME!!! Thanks for the entertainment, you always seems to suprise me!! :D
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks guys ... just great to be outdoors again and spend time with friends ! ... the whole deer coyote thing happend so fast , maybe 1 to 2 minutes tops ! ... and yep , I was able to juggle the gun and the camera successfully today ! :lol: :lol:

Here are 3 more pictures from today ...

My Remington Model 700 .223 cal

My snow shoe tracks after the last hike back to the truck... they seem a little closer together than the 1st hike in the a.m. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And a set of mouse tracks .... later in the afternoon .... his snowshoes seem much better than mine ... he is definately lighter on his feet ! :lol: :lol:

See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

WOW :!: Great pictures and as stated above, just like a movie or super good book .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

amazed again. thanx R.J.!!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Great pics R.J. :wink:

Do you ever go to work? :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Lucky Lar

Post by Lucky Lar »

I sure enjoy your pictures and story. Thanks!
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

Great pics and story R.J.!! Outstanding shot on that mangy yote!
My hat goes off to you!! 8)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I love these pictures... somedays it's almost as good as being there.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I am GREEN!! Coyotes and a jack. Great pics. I don't want to work any more. :cry:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"