String specifications for Astro Daco needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

String specifications for Astro Daco needed

Post by Pydpiper »

I have an old Astro Daco, Model #1000, 120# draw weight. The current string is about 31.5 inches, and it is the original, however a couple strands have been broken.
I know someone who is willing to make a new string, but he needs some info..

1. How many strands of what material?
2. Actual length?

Thanks, I would like to make this thing shoot again. It has only been fired a couple dozen times since new and I would like to get my son out in the bush with me.

David
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I would imagine that the Daco, being an older xbow doesn't have reinforced limb tips, and can't use the new string materials. Instead the string is made using Dacron. As far as determining the length and number of strands to use, all you do is measure the length and count the strands of the old string. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

The Daco requires a DACRON (B-50 or B-500) string
on 90 pound target bows 18 strands are normal so a 24-26 strand string would be fine on a 120-125 (for some reason I believe they were 125 not 120-I have one in my basement) Daco.

The main thing is to have a string that is neither too thin on underclaw release bows or so thick that it cannot fit between the track and the top of the receiver.
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys, this bow is marked at 120#..
It is a carved tip, not exactly evenly carved either :wink: .

I will have to disect the the served string tips to count strings, the frayed ends have been cut off for astetics as it hung on the wall..

So Dacron.. sounds good!
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Jim C is correct in the use of Dacron for the string material, if my memory serves me well today I believe the stock strings were 30 strands from the factory.

Daco built mainly 2 different crossbows, the Hornet which was their shorter of the 2 & I believe it was around 100 lb & the Scorpion which was 120 lb. Both bows used the same limb but pull was the difference, just like Excalibur :wink: & depending which bow you got the limb was marked with the draw weight, but if the limb was replaced (which was a common occurance) it all depended on what run of limbs you ended up getting what the weight marked on it was :oops:

The Daco limbs were also used on the original Excalibur Relayer 8)

David, if you plan on shooting the Daco be very careful & keep a close eye on the limb for fragmenting & slivers starting to lift as that is usually the first signs of the limb failing :cry: (I know from first hand experience :shock: )

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks for the safety tip Kirk!
This bow has a sticker on the limb that says it is 120#
I this think is just a disaster waiting to happen than I may not be using it too often.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

mtbyak wrote:Jim C is correct in the use of Dacron for the string material, if my memory serves me well today I believe the stock strings were 30 strands from the factory.

Daco built mainly 2 different crossbows, the Hornet which was their shorter of the 2 & I believe it was around 100 lb & the Scorpion which was 120 lb. Both bows used the same limb but pull was the difference, just like Excalibur :wink: & depending which bow you got the limb was marked with the draw weight, but if the limb was replaced (which was a common occurance) it all depended on what run of limbs you ended up getting what the weight marked on it was :oops:

The Daco limbs were also used on the original Excalibur Relayer 8)

David, if you plan on shooting the Daco be very careful & keep a close eye on the limb for fragmenting & slivers starting to lift as that is usually the first signs of the limb failing :cry: (I know from first hand experience :shock: )

Shoot Straight
Kirk
I have a hornet in the basement-the original prod delaminated on me in 1983 at Cornell-the replacement limbs are still in good shape and they are marked 120 pounds (The bow is essentially like new save for the front sight that is missing most of its parts-I have a scope mount someplace but I used the bow in a medieval demo since it looks pretty "primitive" :D

the string length was 31 inches but the brace height is slightly high based purely on my judgment so I would recommend 31.5. 24 strands of dacron would be sufficient given 18 strands is plenty for 90 pound target bows

18/24=.75
90/120=.75
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach