Flemish Strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tee

Flemish Strings

Post by Tee »

Have a question about Flemish Strings.

I notice that Excalibur quotes their performance figures using a Flemish string. Also from what I have learned on these forums (Thanks) I gather that most or all of you consider Flemish strings to give better performance.

What is it about Flemish strings as opposed to the continuous loop strings, that gives the better performance??

Any opinions?? Facts??
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I cant help with the mechanics of why... I just found under my testing that the FFF string gave me a good 12-15fps over the excel strings. I was shooting a 420gr bolt so I wanted a little more speed(304ish) over the excels 280ich fps.

The only downside to the FFF is the break in.. normally it takes about 20-30shots to break that string in so it doesnt move on you.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My stock Excel strings were doing 299 FPS with 435 grain arrows, that is plenty fast! I switched to a FFF (comfys) and jumped 15 FPS. I am now shooting 435 Grain arrows 315FPS, that is a big arrow going really fast.

I didn't find a noise difference going to the FFF, it is a bit more "crisp" but no louder. There is a bit of comfort slowing the arrow down by means of a more forgiving string for those of us who occasionally dry fire, but it is all about balance. I am not a big guy on speed, but I just love consistancy.
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

The flemish string that is giving such speed gains is made from a fast flight material. The standard flemish string is made from dacron.

On my Vixen I have limb savers 7 inched from the string grooves, limb savers 2 inches out from the limb bolts, limb savers on the rail just behind the riser, crossbow string leeches, and I shoot an arrow of 440 grains.
With the fast flight flemish, I get an average of 255 fps.
With the standard excel string, I get an average of 250 fps.
With the dacron flemish, I get an average of 243 fps.

When I first got my Vixen, I chronoed it with the excel string, no limb savers, and nothing on the string. it shot an average of 260 fps with a 460 grain arrow. The limb saveres and string leeches greatly reduced noise and completely eliminated any felt viberation.

After MUCH testing and experimenting, I settled on the excel string simply because of its diameter and pressure on the deck, limb savers, and string leeches.
I never was as good as I used to be.
navaman

Post by navaman »

i have a question. the vixen is rated at 286 fps but is that with a FFF string?
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

navaman wrote:i have a question. the vixen is rated at 286 fps but is that with a FFF string?
YES :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
navaman

Post by navaman »

i was hoping to get me another 15 fps. oh well. thanks GaryL
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Cal

Post by Cal »

navaman wrote:i have a question. the vixen is rated at 286 fps but is that with a FFF string?
I was wondering the same thing? So should I look at the "advertised" FPS without the optional FFF at 15 FPS less???
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Cal wrote:
I was wondering the same thing? So should I look at the "advertised" FPS without the optional FFF at 15 FPS less???
If you want the advertised speed you'll need to use a FFF string and a 350gr bolt.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.