Best Deer Hunting Books You Have Read

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OwnerITO

Best Deer Hunting Books You Have Read

Post by OwnerITO »

Title kinda speaks for itself. I am not new to hunting at all but I am new to really learning all I can about deer hunting and would like some input on the books you have read that may help me with bagging a deer this year. Thank you in advance, Owner.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

probably one of the better all around books I have read and re-read is Whitetail Hunting Tactics of the pros edited by Lamar Underwood. It is a good all around book with sections on Understanding Whitetails, Most likely to succeed strategies, The Rut, Hunting Tactics, Deer Drives, Coping with Conditions, Tracking, and Shooting Suggestions.

I thought it was pretty good all around. I am looking forward to seeing some of the other suggestions.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

i am new to hunting and would also like some book ideas i asked for some for christmas but my mom couldnt find any............sujjestions on where to find them? thanks
OwnerITO

Post by OwnerITO »

The books that I have read so far are Big Bucks The Benoit Way (forget author). It covers alot about tracking but has some good points about deer hunting throughout it. I am reading The Advanced Deer Hunter's Bible at thye moment. It is an excellent book so far. Took a quick brouse through it and it covers all the basics and I am learning quite a bit. I also read a book by Leonard Lee Rue III. I forgot the title but it was very good as well. I guess he has some other books out and his website is www.rue.com so I will check that out as well.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Gaint Whitetails: A liftetime of lessons

by Mark and Terry Drury

This the best book I have read. It tells you everything you need to know about deer and how to hunt them. The rest is up to you and how you use the advice they give. They have detailed pics of bucks they have hunted as well as the kill shots in that book. I give the book a 9 outta 10 since nothing is perfect
tracer

Post by tracer »

I believe it's important to learn all you can about the animal you are going to hunt. A good start is an excellent book by Dr. Leonard Lee Rue III, called: Way of the Whitetail. He explains in detail, the deer's five senses and the deer's year, month by month. Awesome photos of deer through out the book. I purchased the book at Bass Pro.I also suggest you read as many hunting mag. as you can,( eg. North American Whitetail, Deer and Deer Hunting ) and pick up a few hunting DVD's.
navaman

Post by navaman »

"The Deer Hunter's Encyclopedia" by Leonard Lee Rue III copyright 2000 published by The Lyons Press
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Digger

Post by Digger »

Big Bucks the Benoit Way: Secrets from America's First Family of Whitetail Hunting (Hardcover)
by Bryce M. Towsley (Author)

Benoit Bucks: The Second Generation (Hardcover)
by Bryce M. Towsley (Author)

How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life (Paperback)
by Larry Benoit (Author), Peter Miller (Author)

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
the elf

Post by the elf »

Well said Mr. Stout!
tracer

Post by tracer »

Two of the best hunting magazine writers are Deer & Deer Huntings: Charles J. Alsheimer and Steve Bartylla who writes for several mags. including: north american Whitetail. This is my personal opinion, and the result is hanging on my wall. I do agree with bstout, that the mag. cover pics. are some times a little over the top. Another good hunting magazine published right here in Ontario is : ONTARIO Monster Whitetails .
Big John

books

Post by Big John »

I found "The Deer Hunters Almanac" by Sid Evans and the Sports Afield Editors, to be a very good read. Extremely informative.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I will have to say you can read all you want but the best teacher is yourself. The pro's generally dont want to be called pros, since they are just good hunters like ourselves. They just happened to get lucky and get on TV. To become a good hunter, you have to take what you learn year from year. A book can only tell you so much :lol:
maple

Post by maple »

pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Bowhunting Forests & Deep woods by Greg Miller, great book, for those who have hunted already for a few years.
widowman

Post by widowman »

"Come November" by Gene Wensel