Mechanicals for 315 FPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Mechanicals for 315 FPS

Post by Pydpiper »

I realize this has been covered before, many times but any search I do brings up stuff that is a bit too old, this is a fast changing technology and I want what is current..

So, For an Exocet shooting 315-320 FPS, I would prefer something that doesn't use bands and can somehow be modified for practice shooting, like tying it up. I don't even know if that exists..
I want to get out hunting for Coyotes, and am looking for any advantage I can find.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I haven't tried them on a animal yet but I bought a pack of Rage broadheads, I read some good stuff about them, they open on impact and the entrance hole is big, they stay open in the animal and do a lot of damage while he is running if you do not get a passthru. They do have a band but it does not go around the blades it goes under them.
They come with a practice head, they are expensive about $34.00 for three. The two blade works better and cuts a bigger hole than the three
blade.
A guy that runs a archery shop and check out station posted on another
forum that the deer shot with the two blade rage had some awsum entrance holes and the three blade was impressive but not as big as the two. Hope this helps.

Tar Heel (martinfaw)
The old man from the mountain
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The Rage look good.. It says in the add I found on Google it doesn't use bands, are they saying that because it is hidden?
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Dear Pydpiper,
I have shot both Rage and Spitfire. Both do a great job. I must say I like Spitfires a lot. The Rage need a bit more work before I have the confidence I do with Spitfire. The Rage three blade enterence hole is plenty big enough believe me.

I was on line the other day as noticed Spitfire has developed a mechanical especially for us X bow hunter with a 170 grain head for even more penetration. Additionally, it is a cut on contact cam blade system rather than their tradtional over the top opening system. I have not tried them yet but they appear impressive. I have huge confidence in their ability to deliver. That being said, I have shot coyotes with the 125 Spitfire and man it does fine. Pass through is not an issue. Ultimately both will work well and take a coyote out quickly.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

I haven't tried them; but I'm thinking of getting some Wasp Jak-Hammers SST.

Bass Pro Shops wrote: 3-blade mechanical broadhead combines expanding stainless steel .036"-thick blades with SST stainless steel Smart Tip™ that cuts on impact. Blades stay closed with O-rings.
From what TYE told me; apparently the mechanisms in the ones that don't use the bands get old, and don't hold the blades in very well over time. This makes them more likely to flash open in mid flight, skewing the accuracy. if you use the bands you keep replacing the bands, therefore the "mechanism" never gets old.

you can tie the blades in with fishing line, or copper wire, for target practice.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am not dead set against the band style, especially if thats all thats out there.
The NAP ones look good as well, anyone try those?
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Pydpiper wrote:The Rage look good.. It says in the add I found on Google it doesn't use bands, are they saying that because it is hidden?
Sorry they are not bands but o rings.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Dear Rage_A_Holic,
No disrespect to TYE, but how would the cams get old. If he is shooting his hunting head after many shots at target practice he is using a dull bladed that has been banged around. Or they are getting old from poor storage. However, a cam that has never been activated will not weaken with age. I also think you need to ask him how many deer he has taken with mechanicals. There are few of us here that have killed scores of deer with them. The people who use mechanicals are the experts in the strengths and weaknesses of mechanicals. We speak from experience and not what someone told us or some unproven idea. Clearly, the technology in mechanicals is evolving. Rage is forcing other companies to rethink their product. Competition is good as it means better products. Now with NAP has come out with a X bow head at 170 g., we X bow folks are beginning to get the attention we deserve as a significant force in the market place. No more hand-me-downs from the vertical bow markets.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

kendo kid . . .you are right on. I've shot the NAP's, but, until I've killed deer with them, my opinion of them is limited to target practice. If I had killed one deer, better opinion. If I had killed 50 deer, then it's a much better opinion.

Also, I hadn't really looked at crossbow hunting as a "little brother" to the verticle bow. However, from what I'm being told . . .we should see a lot more product in 2007 and 2008 designed specifically for crossbows. Especially the higher draws and speeds. We'll see, so far, so good. :D

Pydpiper . . .I've read a lot of good things about the Aftershock line of broadheads. I ended up with the NAP's because of the deep discount I got. They fly very well, even in windy conditions. However, I have not killed anything with them, yet.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

I and my bro and nephews use the NAP shockwave from 3 different brand of bows, We really like them and they can be found very reasonable at e-bay. You can go to an eye glass place a get a set of O-rings for eyeglasses very cheap and they work great, if you you have to you can double band the broadhead. We got about 10 sets of the shockwaves last fall from e-bay , some as cheap as $8.00 for a set of 3. we also took 5 deer this season with them, 4 pass thrus . They come in 100/125 gr. Hawk :?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks!
Is there more than one type of NAP?
I had seen one on-line, then the bow shop I just left had some that looked very different.. Perhaps I am looking at too many, but I am pretty sure they were different.
I will look into the Aftershock too..
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

There are several . . .here are the links . .

http://www.newarchery.com/

www.aftershockarchery.com
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
taxman

head

Post by taxman »

i have never had the ROCKET STEELHEAD's let me down. the VERY BEST mechanical-IMO
shewe

Post by shewe »

i've had good luck with the wasp jackhammers....though they do require an o ring (two o rings for an xbow) you can use a thin wire to shoot for practice that will keep the blades closed. :)
laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and they laugh louder.
Camper

Post by Camper »

I'm with TAXMAN on this one, I use Steel Rocket Heads and never had a failure. Great big wound channels in and out!
Plus they are accurate as well.
I use the 125gr 2inch diameter ones, I can't think of the name right now but Rocket makes them and they work!

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper