Feeders/Cameras

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

Feeders/Cameras

Post by fuel80guy »

Does anybody here have any experince with feeders/cameras.
Im looking to make a feeder from a large plastic 45 gallon drum.
Im not sure if i wanna make it a gravity feeder or mechanical.
Any input on feeders and cameras would be great. :)
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I don't have any experence with cameras but have been using feeders for years, you don't want plastic barrels the squirrels will eat thru them.
I use a metal barrel with a daylight dusk feeder motor, I put 3 legs (2by 4) so you can set it down without damage to the motor, build a squirrel cage out of pig wire around the motor. They usually leak so find a trash can lid the right size, put on top and hook a few bungi cords to it.
Hope this helps.
Tar Heel
PS if you have Bears hollar for more instructions
The old man from the mountain
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

You can make a cheap gravity feeder out of flexible drain pipe available for cheap at most hardware or farmers supply stores. Just attach it to a tree or fencepost with fence wire. Fill it with cottonseed instead of corn if hogs are a problem. Also, don't forget to bend the top over to keep out rainwater.
A.W

Post by A.W »

BigTiny wrote:You can make a cheap gravity feeder out of flexible drain pipe available for cheap at most hardware or farmers supply stores. Just attach it to a tree or fencepost with fence wire. Fill it with cottonseed instead of corn if hogs are a problem. Also, don't forget to bend the top over to keep out rainwater.
I built a couple of these but I put a screw on cap at the top with an eye-bolt. That way I can unscrew the top to refill and use the eye-bolt to tie a rope on and hang from a branch....Anchored at the bottom with a stake.

If the deer want more seed the just butt it and some more drops down.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

HERE IN KANSAS, I USE 9V BATTERY FEEDERS, HANG THEM IN A TREE & IF THERE ARE NO COWS OR HOGS, I USE A METAL BARREL ,,ABOUT 10 INCHES UP FROM THE BOTTOM CUT A 12 INCH VERTICLE SLICE THEN TAKE A HAMMER KNOCK THE TOP PART OF THE SLICE IN JUST BIG ENOUGH TO LET A DEER GET IT MOUTH IN. TURKEYS CAN ALSO FEED. PUT SHORT LEGS ON THE BARREL TO KEEP THE BOTTOM OFF THE GROUND. DRILL HOLES IN THE BOTTOM TO LET THE RAIN THROUGH,,,,,,,,CAMERAS I USE STELTH DIGITAL THEY ARE NOT THE BEST BUT IF ONE GETS STOLEN YOU HAVENT LOST MUCH. ACTUALLY MY BROINLAW & I HAVE 6 THEY DO A GOOD JOB.

HATCHET JACK
they say he is still up there.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

FUEL 80,, IF YOU USE CAMERAS, PUT THEM IN A MALE LOCUS TREE,( THAT IS THE ONE WITH ALL THE THORNS IN THEM) NO ONE WILL CLIMB A MALE LOCUS TREE,,, I FELL IN TO ONE LAST SPRING HAD TO GO THE THE HOSPITAL HAVE IT CUT OUT THEN GET A SHOT, THEY CAUSE BLOOD POINING.

H.J.
they say he is still up there.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i was cutting up a locus tree last year and had a thorn go through my jeans and into my leg a full 2 inches. Never got a shot but probably should have, hurt like hell. As for the cameras, go with digital. I have three 35mm and they work great but pricey when it comes time to develop. Also make sure they are quiet. I've seen deer circle around cameras even without a flash. I only use them to see what deer are around not so much where they are.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I go the cheap and simple way.
I use a 4 ft. x 3"or 4" dia. pvc pipe set vertically into the ground or into a concrete base. Concrete is not neccessary but after awhile the deer will try to dig up the pipe. Drill a 1" dia hole about 2" above the concrete base. This can be done on 2 sides. Fill up the pipe with corn, soybeans, or deer feed and place an upsidedown coffee can or small bucket on top to keep out the rain and you all set. A little corn will come out each hole in the bottom until it self blocks the hole. As the deer feed it will self supply until empty. This also works for hogs but you have to put the pipe deeper into the concrete. If you have bears you can forget it as they will carry the whole kit and kaboodle off!!:D
Jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.