Thaughts toshare with excal- designers/ developers/customers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lisa

Thaughts toshare with excal- designers/ developers/customers

Post by lisa »

Thaughts to share with excal- designers and developers and users:

Some months ago I baught a new exocet 200. I use it only for target shooting and due to my experiences of years in competitive rifle shooting I had some thoughts considering the bow which I want to share with you.
I am from Austria (Americans always mix it up with Australia) Europe, so please excuse my limited capacity in in English language.

Recently I have purchased one of your x bows.
Why? Because I prefer the concept of this recurve system over the wheels,
Keep it simple – as you say. the trigger-safety-rail-riser-damper-system is rugged reliable and precise. I am very satisfied with it. The second real important thing is that I believed in your service – which I gladly did not need until now.
-that is what I am still shure of when I have the bow right in my hands today – and I still would go with an excal if I had to make my decision again.

But I had some thoughts how to make the bow even better, give the users even more reason to prefer an excal over all the other brands and that is why I write these lines- hoping the right ears will hear it.

The main thing which could be improved is the stock,

You have made changes this year but most of the people i´ve talked to really think these were just minor . –the stock is rugged, good finish now
- - but the bow over all is to front heavy!
- - It is slippery where it contacts your shoulder ( we call it the stock cap) and the
- -stock is to low where it contacts your cheek while aiming.
– which makes it difficult to obtain a proper firing position freehands (which is the case with all crossbow brands – not only with yours)
- the actual stock is built with a cavity just in front of the trigger what doesn´give the opportunity to bring back your holding hand enough (left hand if you´re a right hander) to support your left elbow enough with your hip which is crucial for a calm
firing position freehands.

My thoughts are now:
Why could not excal (my favourite system now) improve and give the users something
That no other brand does.

Make a wooden stock (look what mark henegar actually (guy in the excal-forum) does – and people more than like it – so that it is not possible for him to meet all the requests for his custom made wooden stocks)
as an opportunity for the actual one – and let the customer choose if they purchase their new bow with wooden or plastic stock.
Manufacture it with an adjustable cheek cap (in height) and an
-adjustable stock cap ( in height and length) made of a material with much grip(e.g. rubber),
-do a little alteration in the front part of the stock so that you can bring back your holding hand down until just below the trigger (if the shooting person wants it)
-Make a notch in the rear of the shaft to add additional weight to eliminate front heaviness (as an option for the shooting person)

I am shure that an inovational wooden stock which shuts down noise and vibration for the user and therefore makes shooting more comfortable and is a optical high light would meet the many customers desires.
This would make even more people go with your x-bow, due to my conviction that in 95 percent the bow is used for is target shooting although it is advertised as a hunting crossbow.
And what is good for accuracy and comfort in target shooting is good for accuracy in
hunting.

Hope this hits the right ears,

With best regards,

lisa
Digger

Post by Digger »

Excalibur has been there done that. They stoppd making wooden stocks in 1992. the new stock are lighter, less expensive and more solid and not prone to breakage, chipping or wood rot.
You would cause the cost to skyrocket by doing accesseries like that.
I have two of Mark Henegar's stocks and it would be cheaper tobuy these.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I have two Excalibur bows, so I'm not intending to knock them. I agree that the stock could do with some improvement.

Personally, I think the camo is a waste of money. It's only a cosmetic thing that hunters demand, so that's why it's there, not that it's ever any help in taking game.

What I would REALLY like to see is a rubber over-moulding such as the Hogue finish on firearms stocks. It's easier to grip. It's warmer in the cold. It would dampen vibration and seem quieter shooting to the hunter. If you bump a branch with it, it won't go "CLUNK".

It would be every bit as effective as a hunting tool just in flat black. However, for the folks who want matching camo for their underwear and their Xbow stock, it could be done in camo.

That's what I would like to see.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Digger. That tiger maple stock should be standard with each Excal....At no extra cost. :shock: :lol:
Last edited by A.W on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
A.W

Post by A.W »

deleted

ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

A.W wrote:Digger. That tiger maple stock should be standard with each Excal....At no extra cost. :shock: :lol:
That's typical Scotsman talk. After all, the cost extra of Tiger Maple isn't too much for a company to absorb, if you consider $500 not too much. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
shewe

Post by shewe »

some good ideas lisa. welcome to the forum. i love my exocet....but the stock does leave a little to be desired..... :?
laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and they laugh louder.
wabi

Post by wabi »

As a hunter I like the Excalibur stock - as it is. I prefer the lighter weight for hunting, and the dimentions are "universal" enough that it's easy to adapt to whether wearing lightweight clothing or heavy cold weather gear.
I'm sure fit and balance doesn't fit all people and all situations, but I think Bill T. has a useful product as it comes from the box.
As for synthetics, I'll take a good synthetic stock over a wood stock for hunting every time. Wood is more comfortable to the touch, more pleasing to the eye, and usually makes for a better balance - but synthetics are as close to indestructable as you can get, and my hunting equipment sometimes gets rather rough treatment! I've drug my Excalibur through brush and briars that made me look like I'd been fighting a wildcat, I've carried it in heat, wet, and blizzard - like weather. I've cared for it, but not babied it, and it still looks like new! I'm sure a wood stock would be battle-scarred by now!
wabi
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Lisa,
Your English may not be perfect; but your thinking is pretty darn good. I agree with you on the options. We all love our excal, but factory made options would be great. I can get options when I buy a new pick up truck. Why not here.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

australian crossbows makes an adjustable cheek piece. I have three-the first couple tended to move since they only had one bolt. the new ones have two-they are very good
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

gotta say I'll agree with wabi. I have a nice semi shotgun with wood that I'll only use in a controlled environment. All my hunting rifles & shotgun are stainless with synthetic. I would've destroyed the finishes of a wood stock out in the harsh conditions we often find ourselves in.
Not to mention it would be too much money for excalibur to stock & sell these items. That's what aftermarket dealers are for...
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335
navaman

Post by navaman »

wabi wrote:As a hunter I like the Excalibur stock - as it is. I prefer the lighter weight for hunting, and the dimentions are "universal" enough that it's easy to adapt to whether wearing lightweight clothing or heavy cold weather gear.
I'm sure fit and balance doesn't fit all people and all situations, but I think Bill T. has a useful product as it comes from the box.
As for synthetics, I'll take a good synthetic stock over a wood stock for hunting every time. Wood is more comfortable to the touch, more pleasing to the eye, and usually makes for a better balance - but synthetics are as close to indestructable as you can get, and my hunting equipment sometimes gets rather rough treatment! I've drug my Excalibur through brush and briars that made me look like I'd been fighting a wildcat, I've carried it in heat, wet, and blizzard - like weather. I've cared for it, but not babied it, and it still looks like new! I'm sure a wood stock would be battle-scarred by now!
i agree with everything you said. i took the time to make a real nice stock for my vixen and just one hunting trip made me appreciate the factory stock. it's back on the crossbow now and will stay there.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
A.W

Post by A.W »

ComfyBear wrote:
A.W wrote:Digger. That tiger maple stock should be standard with each Excal....At no extra cost. :shock: :lol:
That's typical Scotsman talk. After all, the cost extra of Tiger Maple isn't too much for a company to absorb, if you consider $500 not too much. :wink:
You picking on me again?

taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

I own a Exocet 200,and love it.But improovement on the stock is a must.Why not fill the stock with foam so it wont make that much noise when toucing branches on a still hunt? That would be great cause your afraid to walk in the wood hunting, with branches around you that will reveal that you are there.For a deer we are kind of GPS that tell exactly where we are.Amist that ,it's a wonderfull Xbow to shoot.
Taureau noir
lisa

Post by lisa »

read all of your replys with interest.
and i know that this forum is a forum of excal lovers - so am i

but i have to ask you a question: is saying our crossbow is good - so why change, a good position?

- at least i dont think so.
- things always can be improved

dont take me wrong - i´m still very satisfied with my exocet 200

and what i posted were just thaughts to share - as i said.

lisa