Thaughts toshare with excal- designers/ developers/customers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

lisa,
I'm not saying your suggestion is foolish, just saying Excalibur is probably a lot more concerned with function than looks. The factory stock is not perfect, but it's a darn good compromise. I think if you want a "custom" stock it is available at a very reasonable price from Mark Henneger. I have no idea how many stocks Mark has made & sold, but I'm sure it's a very small percentage of Excalibur owners that have them. I had one of Mark's stocks and it was top quality and a beautiful example of craftsmanship. It was not for me, though. As I said, I like the durability of the synthetic stock, and soon had it back on the bow. I just couldn't bring myself to put Mark's stock through the torture I give a hunting crossbow.
The new thumbhole stock will probably have a different "feel" than the standard stock, and take care of many of the people who don't like the standard stock. As for me, I'm happy with the old synthetic stock that came on my Phoenix, and have no desire to change. If I were buying another Excalibur tomorrow it would be with the standard synthetic stock.
wabi
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Lisa, Excalibur advertises CROSSBOWS FOR HUNTERS BUILT BY HUNTERS I don't want a wooden stock its heavier and a lot harder to carry and will get beat up,
I can barely afford one now the changes you want would keep them out of reach of a lot of people.
Sounds like you are into target shooting maybe you should get someone to build you a stock like you want.
I think Excalibur makes a target model thats low poundage but I don't
know the options on it.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bows are just like cars and trucks... the factory being excal puts out a darn good product that you can afford. Then its up to you to buy extras or add ons for your own likes. I like the wooden stocks, but I dont think excal should put them out from the factory. They would cost to much and I probably wouldnt have bought my exocet if it was 200 more bucks. I want something that works and you dont have to add 3-5 things to make it bette right then. I want something thats a good bang for the buck. I think we are missing the point that this is a bow and not a rifle/shotgun. Its never gonna have that feel to it, and it if ever does then they might as well close bow season and make it a gun season :D

The only thing I would like to see different in the xbow department is the sound. Granted it doesnt bother me a whole lot, but I would love to see a quite xbow like my compound long bow.

its nice to have a big accessory market for these bows, but like I said, those should stay accessories. If someone wants them then they can buy them seperate 8)
wallymax

Post by wallymax »

I aggree that the bow is front heavy, but I believe the only way to correct that is to add more weight which I would not like. The stock is annoyingly noisy which could use some improvement, something economical. Would love a rubberized feel as peviously described, maybe a forestock that extends to the trigger as also mentioned. I'm left handed so I've never experienced the luxury of a cheekplate. Quite often I'm so cold, I have to visually confirm I'm still holding the thing.

Regarding a cammo finish, I don't own any cammo underwear, although I would love some cammo Birkenstocks, but in some of my stands the deer come in from behind or the side very close, within 5 yds. I agree when you're aiming at something, the cammo does not seem significant, except for maybe the limbs, but even just with the limited experience I've had, I,ve had to remain motionless for minutes with an animal standing 5 yds beside me, waiting for them to move away from me so I can line up a shot. Thats when I like everything to be cammo. Can't hurt. Especially if you're dealing with turkeys.

My two deer this year were taken at about 5 and 15 yds. One was with the crossbow and the other with my .308, which isn't camoflaged.
Country

Post by Country »

Id like to see eveything in camo like that $1700 Ten Point. My son and I use camo tape on the excals we have.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Warning: The following is entirely the opinion of the author and is not intended to be advanced as fodder for contention. Let us live in peace.

Well, I might as well jump in here and give an alternative viewpoint, just for variety! :D

I acknowledge synthetic stocks for what they are: tough, stable, practical, efficient, and economical. No need to argue those points. I have known some women who were also tough, stable, practical, efficient and economical ... but who were nonetheless ugly, hard, cold, and no fun to hold. I trust my point is comprehended.

Truly beauty is in the "eye of the beholder."

I can live with the Excal stock ... but it will never move me.

And here's another alternative viewpoint: I believe it's OK to drag the finest striped maple or flamed walnut through the brush ... wooden stocks are meant to be used, and they wear their battle scars with a certain grace that, again, can never be matched by plastic. Nothing is so interesting as a wooden handle that bears the marks of long usage and care ... that's why they hang such things up on walls as decorations. Wood has the character that only living things can have, and it serves as a tablet that records the imprint of other living things.

Wood is good.

Alas, though ... ours has become a synthetic world.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest. Now I'm out of the wooden closet.

It's tough to be a wood lover nowadays. :wink:
Grizz
Country

Post by Country »

A very poignant statement Grizz. Maybe your feelings and mine are related to age. The new geberation will never be able to appreciate what a fine wood stock or hand carved wood decoy is to behold.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I wish the whole bow was camo,Rail,Scope,Rings,everything.
I go to great length to camo myself and I want my equipment that way as well.
I know it prpbably doesn't matter but I like camo.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
lucky strike

STOCK

Post by lucky strike »

THE ONLY ADDITION I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS A SMALL HANDLE
MIDPOINT ON THE FOREGRIP THAT COULD BE ATTACHED ON EITHER SIDE OF THE STOCK FOR CARRYING THE BOW VERTICALLY THROUGH HEAVY COVER,OR WHEN CARRYING A BLIND AND NOT BEING ABLE TO USE THE SLING, THE BOW GETS AWFUL HEAVY WHEN YOU HAVE TO WALK A LONG DISTANCE UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS.OTHER THAN THAT ,NO COMPLAINTS!!
LS
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

I'm very happy with my phoenix as is right now. upgrades are always nice. But when you walk far to get into your stands, extra weight isn't that good, for the hunting people were the same works i guess, and accuracy doesn't seem to be a problem for excals. I guess for those who have them for competition is diferent, but i guess for us hunters they are just great. :D
navaman

Post by navaman »

i think Grizz summed it perfectly. i especially enjoyed the stock/women anology :lol: but also as he stated there's just something about wood. even though i saw what the field can do a pretty handmade wooden stock, i'm just a breath away from orderering a new walnut blank to make another beauty. it goes against my sense of good judgement but i am a carpenter and i've really got a deep love and appreciation for wood.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Im with Grizz... wood is nice, but to nice to bring into the woods. Unless its hellova cheap lol. When I was getting a new inline, I wanted the plain jane model and not the top end purty one. But I ended up getting the top end purty one since he gave it to me for the same price as the basic one LOL. But if I had to pay for it, I would opt for the basic model so the purty one wouldnt get cut up in the woods. Unless its gonna sit for display. I dont think the Indians were picky about the looks and comfort of their bows. They just wanted a stick that shot other sticks well :lol:

But no ones bashing Lisa.. I respect her opinion and again talk like this is always helpful to see what everyone wants