Muzzy 4 blades 100gr.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout . . .good points. The issue I have right now is that manufacturers are not making their products to accommodate a bow shooting at 350+ FPS. No bolt is specifically listed for that speed. None of the manufacturers I've contacted will admit to having that product. Do you know of one? Some do not list the draw weight, most limit the draw weight to 200#. And as you probably know, I'm pulling 225#.

I'm part of a small target audience . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Muzzy 4 blades 100 and 125 grain bolts fly great up to 300 fps, when you start shooting them 330-355 they start to lose some of the accuracy. The blades are just a little too long for some of the really high xbow speeds.

I am not saying you can not use them at that speed but at 50 yds best groups I could get was around 6 inches, with the nitron broad head I kept them all well within 3 inches consistently.

As far as muzzy's flying like field tips, I think if you put the target out to fifty yards you sill see they tend to drop a few inches compared to a field tip. It is longer than a field tip so it scoots your FOC forward and will drop a little more on its trajectory.

I like the muzzy's, I killed a doe this season with one out of my exomag. qtr towards shot from a tree stand. Broke the leading shoulder double lung and dropped her just about where she stood. Bent one blade easily replaced.

Out of a vixen at 285 fps it will fly as good as anything I would say. Like Sumner was saying, it is when you increase the speed and distance the flaws begin to show up.

I have shot 4 broad heads from my xbows. So far at 50 yards my nitron is the best, it is just as accurate as a NAP shockwave mechanical and has the extra benifit of cut on contact fixed blade. :)
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

sumner you are getting obsessed with accuracy. My kind of guy. But I bet you still have not tried the nitron??

I will mail you one to try if you want to. Let me know.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

shurite . . .at first glance, it looks like I am a little crazy. However, try and imagine your first experience with shooting an Exomax that is loaded with a broadhead that is defective. I thought at the time, I had lost my ability to shoot/hunt/survive! Ha! Now, I'm trying to limit my errors. I know a couple of inches isn't an issue. However, four inches off on a broadhead coupled with a couple of inches off for human error and it's a problem. I want to get a set-up that is within an inch at 60 yards with a solid rest. I don't think that should be too hard. If it's that accurate at 60 yards, then I'll have ample room for human error, wind, rain and about anything else at 30 yards.

I have not tried the Nitron . . .would love to give it a test fly. I'll pm my address if you are serious.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I will get one on its way Sumner. Looking for a nice little box that is good and sturdy.

Hey I am the same way, I figure if I am going to take the time to practice I want to be the best I can be.

I think you will like the nitron. It looks small but it has a 1 1/8 or 1/16 cutting edge. The make a 125 grain also.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

shurite . . .I'll be looking forward to shooting it.

The short stocky broadheads are suppose to be the best for high speed shooting. Maybe my nightmare will end when I shoot the nitron.

I'll let you know the moment it hits my mailbox . . .and The Block!

Thanks!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen