Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taureau noir

Muzzy 4 blades 100gr.

Post by taureau noir »

Anyone tries a Muzzy 4 blades 100gr.Was it performing ^
Taureau noir
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:D Worked for me last Nov. 4th, took an 8 pointer, but it was only 15 yards. Shot them @ 30 and 40 yds. flies very much like my field points within 1/2 inch. :)
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

Curmudgeon,thanks for the info
Will try it this coming spring,easy to get up here.
Taureau noir
Duey

Post by Duey »

That's the only broadhead that we use and we got 4 deer this year 15 to 30 yards. They fly like my field tips .
Duey
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

I personally think the Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade is the best of the best. I have hunted with archery equipment since my first hunt in 1954. I have used countless styles and brands of broadheads on longbow, recurve, compound, and crossbow. I came across Muzzy in 1988, I think it was, when I was still shooting a recurve. When the 90 grain 4 blade became available, I tried it and thought I had found the perfect broadhead. When the 100 grain 4 blade became available, I FOUND the perfect broadhead. I can literally put them through the same hole as a field point at 30 yards. I don't dare shoot two at the same aim point.
I never was as good as I used to be.
navaman

Post by navaman »

how do they compare to slick tricks in performance and price ?
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

So far, I have learned that about any broadhead flies "like a field tip" for someone.

If you really want to find out if a specific broadhead truly "flies like a field tip", then take a cold windy day . . .shoot a field tip, then put on a broadhead and shoot from fifty yards. If you hit the same hole as the field tip, then let me know your set-up.

If you are shooting less than 30 yards, pretty much all the broadheads, "fly like field tips" . . .well, depending on your definition.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

Never tried it cause was brainwashed on thunderhead 125 gr, for decade with my bow .Assuming your right, I,for sure will try them in spring.Till then, just dream.
Taureau noir
navaman

Post by navaman »

just found out. the price is right ! now we wait for the hunter's report
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I cannot speak for the 100 grain 4-blade but the 130 grain 4-blade flies very well on a carbon shaft and hit nice with my Barnett Quad 300. I'm going to also use them on aluminum shafts in a lighter weight.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
Rich

Post by Rich »

The Muzzy 4 blades flew very well out of my Exocet and Phoenix. The did not have the same POI as my field tips (about 2.5 " to the left). They maintained 1" groups out to 50 yards. Didn't seem to get the same amount of blood as I was accustomed to with a Thunderhead 125 though, all deer were recovered though.

Rich
speedball

Post by speedball »

never had any luck with the muzzys, i tried both the 90 and 100 grain 4-blade and flight was erratic at best, i am considered by my hunting friends as fanatical on my broadhead set-ups with tuning and re-tuning with the spin-tester (wheels), and weighing each bolt for almost exact consistancy, i found my 4-blade head and its slick tricks, with fantastic flight and devastating wounds and the introduction of n.a.p. quality blades from Germany from Solengen blade works, this head will be my 100-125 choice, i have taken 6 deer with them and the bolts broke way before the broadhead, just my opinion here guys,speed :) :idea:
gone huntin never to return................
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

Sumner

I can't, on a regular basis, put arrows through the same hole at 50 yards with any combination. I can scrape shafts, shoot off fletching, and even got a robin hood on one occassion. I have the factory sights on my bow. I might someday try some experimental shooting with a scope, but not hunt with one.

I have a 2005 Vixen, excel string, limbsavers on the limbs, limbsavers at the limb bolts, limb savers on the frame near the riser. My arrow is a 20 inch, 2219 shaft, inserts in each end, 5 inch shield cut feathers with a slight right offset, 100 grain points or Muzzy broadheads. I can take 3 arrows with field points and 3 arrows with the 100 grain Muzzy and practice blades, shoot off my picnic table, and place all 6 arrows in a 5 inch targ-dott at 50 yards.

My boy has an exomag. He removed the dissapator bars and installed limb savers as on my Vixen. He has a 3x9 variable scope that was on his .243 coyote rifle. With the same 6 arrows(not the exact same arrows but the exact same specks, I make them for him) shooting from a rifle rest he can't shoot at the same spot at 50 yards. They won't go through the same hole but they wil all stay "well" inside a 3 inch targ-dott at 50 yards.
I never was as good as I used to be.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Beaver . . .that's some great shooting! I've been on a broadhead tirate, so please excuse my attitude a little. I just recently found out why the Wasps I got in the Right Stuff Package were flying all over the place. The tips were cut off center and were defective out of the package. They wouldn't group at all. I have decidated this summer to finding a broadhead/shaft/fletching combo that will fly "just like a field tip". Anyway, what I've learned thus far . . .

1. Make sure your bolts are straight
2. Carefully inspect your broadheads for defects
3. Use a spinner . . .look for any wobbles
4. Check the bolt for balance and weight consistancy

I'm shooting a Exomax and slight defects will show up in a large way at 50 yards. However, I made 1.5 inch groups at 40 yards in the windy weather yesterday. Got 1/2 inch groups at 30 yards. This is a great improvement for me. I was shooting the NAP mechanicals. I'm still not sold on mechanicals being better than fixed blades . . .the "straight" Wasps shot just about as well.

Shooting at speeds in excess of 300 FPS simply requires the shooter to closely inspect the broadhead, shaft, fletching . . .pay attention to the little stuff. Which looks like, by your shooting, you do a good with.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout . . .good points. The issue I have right now is that manufacturers are not making their products to accommodate a bow shooting at 350+ FPS. No bolt is specifically listed for that speed. None of the manufacturers I've contacted will admit to having that product. Do you know of one? Some do not list the draw weight, most limit the draw weight to 200#. And as you probably know, I'm pulling 225#.

I'm part of a small target audience . . .

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen