Last Jack hunt / 1st shed find of the season ..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Last Jack hunt / 1st shed find of the season ..

Post by R.J. »

Got permission on a new property ... dropped Vern and Joe at one end to walk the fencelines while I came up the middle from the other end ...

Vern at the North line ...

Joe at the South line ...

We moved 4 jacks and got 2 of them ... , Vern got his on a dead run with his .222

And I got my 1st of the day on a crossfield fence line at approx 95 yards with my .223 ( I snapped 1 quick picture before I ironed him out on the 2nd shot :oops: )

Of the 6 Jacks we got today 5 were big males ....

Back to the truck to warm up ...

Headed to another property .... I dropped Vern and Joe at another fence line and I went to the other end to work a small bush lot ... but I got a little too far to the RH side when I went to park ! :lol: :lol:

Never moved any Jacks at that location , but did see deer and I found my 1st shed of the season ( a LH side with 6 points ) ...

Vern dropped Joe and I off at the next property and drove the truck to the end of the concession ...

Joe got a beauty big male on the run with his 12 gauge after a long chase that nearly got Joe drowned in a snow drift !

Here are 5 of the Jacks before field dressing ...

On the last snowshoe pass , I had a Jack come screaming out of the cedars on a dead run from Joes direction ... at first I couldn't pick him up in the scope , but he crossed the creek and I bowled him over when he crossed an opening at approx 85 yards .... I felt " right on " when I shot buit was surprised to see him come out of the sumersault and run like his hair was on fire ? ( I figured I must have blown the snow from under him ?? )

I snowshed over the creek and found blood at the sumersault site .

Snowshoed approx another 65 yards and found him down the bank and on the creek ice ...

Had a great day , with the guys ... and almost forgot .... 2 pictures of a little cotton tail .... he was too small for the big guns , so he got a pass ! :lol:

I was on the gun more than the camera today , but here are some of the other Jack pictures ... 2 on the run and one sitting ...

Vern brings up the truck and we head back to eventually get super at KFC Tuesdays two pices of chiken for a toonie in Listowell ( something the retired guys knew about ! ) :lol: :lol:

Notice the slight bow in the RH side running board :oops: it's been misparked a few times .... :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
taxman

Post by taxman »

cool pics and story. you really have a knack for the camera
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

R.J. you not only have a knack with the camera, but you're also one heck of a hunter and shooter. Keep up the good work. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Great pics Rick, captions and story really good also.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Nice hunting pictures R.J. What do you guys do with the Jacks after you dress them out? There sure seems to be alot of them rabbits around those parts.

By the way, I like your truck, sharp looking.

Grey Owl
BUCKSHOT

Cool

Post by BUCKSHOT »

How has the weather been for you R.J.?
It's been colder than the hubs of Hell up here, -28 here yesterday morning!
I guess your truck would make a tough wall hanger so you might as well use it, eh! :wink:
Cool pics!
Enjoy the Harvest!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Great pics and story once again.
cool to see that deer have already started to loose their antlers.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

great pics, looked like an awesome hunt.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Greylag

Jack Hunt

Post by Greylag »

I can not only vouch that R.J. is good with the camera and a good shot, but he has eyes like a hawk, he can spot rabbits and game in fencerows and thick bush better than anyone that I have ever known.

It was a COLD but wonderfull day out, thank's again for the ride.

V.A.
Wishing all of you the wind at your back,
Good friends by your side,
and a lifetime of adventures ahead.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Great pics RJ. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Charlie Booze

Post by Charlie Booze »

Thanks for the Great pics and nice story to go along too, By the way a Nice TRUCK to. Miss the days of the jack drives, can't walk the fields the way my knees are , any more. So thanks again :lol:
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks guys ... We don't always get into that many Jacks , maybe they were out that heavy because of the pending storm ( which hit hard today ! )

We were going to cancel because the weather forcast was " big storm " ... but last report before I went to bed was " wind/ snow later in the day ...

It was windy and cold all day ( -19 C , with -25 C wind chill ) but we wrapped up and kept moving !

The blowing snow never started untill we were driving home ... so we lucked out with the weather and the Jack rabbit gods smiled on us ! ;D

As for the warp in the running board ... well lets just say the camera is flattering at that distance ! ;D It is my 1st full size crew cab and it has been thru alot since I picked it up in 2005 ( doesn't seem to fit in places my little trucks went ! ) ;D ;D

I have had the driverside quarter panel , passenger side fender , and cap reworked and painted due to misc offroad mishaps ! ;D ;D

There are many scratches , thru the paint to the primer on the driverside quarter panel again , but I'll wait a few seasons before I work on them ( mental note " don't buy a dark color truck again ! ) ;D ;D

Like I said ... the camera dosen't pick up the detail ... it usually is covered in mud and road salt .... cleaned it up 2 days ago and the extreme cold weather kept the road dirt down that day ... it does clean up nice though ... but a pain to keep clean !

Overall a very comfortable truck with the crew cab , for hauling our crew and our gear around all day ....

PS : Not that great on gas !

Greyowl wrote :
What do you guys do with the Jacks after you dress them out?
Well that's where Joe comes in ! :lol: :lol: , He is at " Chef status " in our circle of friends ! ... he has a whole regiment of preperation and is the best at cooking wild game that I have seen ....

Joe is planning a game dinner at seasons end .... I take pictures and post the recipes !

As for lots of Jacks around ... well it hasn't always been that way ... seems to be a bonus year so far !

Again ... here is another quick snip it of Jack rabbit trivia from the net ...

Wild populations.

The European Hare has become introduced and is now wild in Eastern North America, where it is sometimes known as the 'Eastern Jackrabbit'. It was imported from Germany by a farmer living near Cambridge, Ontario, Canada in 1912.

It escaped from the farm, successfully colonised fields and woodland edges, and quickly made the "Jackrabbit" a common sight in southern Ontario, New York State and New England. Natural predators such as eagles, owls, foxes, coyotes, and bobcats, together with humans and dogs, have kept the American population under control
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

thanks again RJ!!...i look forward to these posts from you,i can't get out hardly at all because of work and the little ones,but your pics and stories help my fix 8) ------STEEL
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Great story, Great Photos!

I had a great time! oh ye right, I was not there.... felt like it for a minute :wink:

Thanks for sharing

Harry
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
bobby jost

Where?

Post by bobby jost »

RJ,

If you don't mind my asking... what area are you hunting Jacks?

BJ