What broadhead do you folks recomened for moose and what grain. Thanks Rich
Cedrus

Post by Cedrus »

.270 Win 150 grain Sierra Boat Tail. :wink:
TYE

Post by TYE »

Cedrus wrote:.270 Win 150 grain Sierra Boat Tail. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

.30-06 180gr Remington Core-Lokt PSP, or 180gr Winchester Super-X Silvertip for me :D :D

As far as broadheads go, I have no idea. I'm probably going on a moose trip this fall though.
Last edited by TYE on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwk

Post by rwk »

Gentlemen not bullets, arrows from a xbow. Rich
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Montec G5, 125 grains
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
TYE

Post by TYE »

rwk wrote:Gentlemen not bullets, arrows from a xbow. Rich
:lol: Sorry we're just bein' silly.

I'm thinking about using Montecs for moose, or a mechanical head.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

LeGrand wrote:Montec G5, 125 grains
That's what I use at the end of my arrows for my moose hunting. You're much better off using a cut on contact head when it comes to moose, as you have to keep in mind that a moose hide is much thicker than that of a deer.

Not saying that a bladed ferrule head wouldn't work, but I prefer a cut on contact head such as the 125 grn Montec. Personally I wouldn't use a mechanical head for moose, but that's just my opinion.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

The 100/125 grain wasps are what the guys that go with my father use and they have never lost one. I agree that a mechanical head wouldnt be a great choice because of the thickness of the skin. The most important thing is realizing the size of the moose, and making a well placed shot. Quartering away to get behind that big shoulder blade and right in the heart/lungs. Just my two cents.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

yeah i also forgot to mention that, the guys that i know all use aluminum arrows over carbon for the extra impact energy!
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Ask the guy that shot the huge a!! bull in the OMW magazine using a VIXEN. :shock:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I was at a hunting show a few years ago and had the opportunity to talk with Cathy from excalibur and asked her what would be good for moose. I told her I was set up with 2216 aluminums and 100 gr. wasps that came in the package and she said it was a great set up for moose. She went on to say some may say to use a heavier head but she found the 100gr. to be the most accurate which is as important if not more than wieght. Seemed to make sense to me so that's what I use. Never put it to the test though.
Paparock

Newby

Post by Paparock »

I am considering getting into crossbow hunting because I had to give up my Longbow due to a central nerve disease. Otherwise I hunted even muledeer with an old custom .375 H&H. With a I have never used any thing but cut-on-contact heads so it is good to hear positives about them for moose. What are the limits as to sizes in consideration to the affect on bolt flight?
munch

Post by munch »

i shot my moose this year at 27yards 100 gr. wasps from right stuff kit i bought moose ran 200 yards with no blood trail but every drop of blood was in his chest cav. i shot him well on the ground so the blood could not run out. also the same week i lent my bow to a young fellow we had hunting with us and put him in a stand of mine he shot a bear with the bow in first hr .same broad head it only made it 19 yards and died. i came back from up north the next week and shoot two deer same broadhead neither ran 40 yards . ithink the people at x cal picked the right arrows and broadheads for there bows and you can,t go wrong . good luck unbelievable being that close to a bull moose with only your bow you can,t beat it
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Four animals with the same broadhead???

I hope you changed the blades, or at least thought about sharpening them sharp after each kill.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

Montec 125 gr.would be a very good head,but I prefer a 125 gr.Thunderhead.Reason is that blades will be new,and sharp.
Or a 2216 or a 2219 with Razorcap 165 gr,more kinetic energy
Taureau noir