moose

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

You'd be surprised at how most broadheads perform. Last year about this time I shot a 1000 lb. plus Buffalo with my Exomag, using 100 grain Slick Tricks. Next time I'll use 125 grain. But the Plains Bison ran like hell for about 250-300 yards and piled up in the open. The 100 grain Slick Trick didn't quite go completly through but it did do major damged inside the Buffalo. This big Bull was about 3 years old.

If you think that moose have a thick hide, a Buffalo in mid-winter has a hide twice as thick.

Grey Owl
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I still say one is much better off using a good cut-on-contact broadhead when hunting these big animals.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I agree with you Mike 100%, although a 100 grain Slick Trick will and can kill a moose, your much better off airing on the side of caution and use a least a 125 grain broadhead, cut-on-contact.

I only heard of a guy, that shot a moose with a compound bow at 122 yards, and killed it. I didn't believe it myself until I actually met this fellow while hunting. Him and his 3 buddies were hunting Wild Boar and I was hunting the Buffalo. The outfitter himself said that he personally saw this guy narrowly miss a Canada Goose at about 100 yards. Even though he's a crack shot with a bow, I'd like to know how many animals he's shot at from that distance and missed. All it would take is one air current or twig to throw the arrow off kilter for a complete miss.

Very dumb move, with no respect shown to Wildlife.

Grey Owl
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

125gr

"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

Self Deleted
Last edited by Rebel Hog on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

Lone Wolf, take a look! :lol:

www.frow-biggamerecords.com/moosexbow.htm - 8k -
Last edited by Rebel Hog on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Neil,

I agree that a 100grn head will kill a big animal such as a Moose and Bison, no arguement at all there. But I've been hunting moose with a crossbow/bow for quite a few years now, and I've shot at moose with a 100grn head and with a 125 grain (Slick Trick) head and I've seen a big difference in penetration. I just like to know I have the K.E where and when it's needed. Now I'm shooting the 125 grain Montec for moose and the 100 grain deer. That's when I'm shooting my compound or crossbow. I use the 125 grain Magnus Stinger for my trad bow arrows for deer hunting.

It's the point where FOC comes in depending on what kind of arrows (weight/length) you're matching the broadheads up with.

Rebel Hog,

I used a 125 grain Magnus Stinger (great broadhead) on my buck I shot with my Bear Hunter recurve last season, but it wasn't the serrated version as they are illegal for hunting in Canada.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

LoneWolf wrote:Neil,

I agree that a 100grn head will kill a big animal such as a Moose and Bison, no arguement at all there. But I've been hunting moose with a crossbow/bow for quite a few years now, and I've shot at moose with a 100grn head and with a 125 grain (Slick Trick) head and I've seen a big difference in penetration. I just like to know I have the K.E where and when it's needed. Now I'm shooting the 125 grain Montec for moose and the 100 grain deer. That's when I'm shooting my compound or crossbow. I use the 125 grain Magnus Stinger for my trad bow arrows for deer hunting.

It's the point where FOC comes in depending on what kind of arrows (weight/length) you're matching the broadheads up with.

Rebel Hog,

I used a 125 grain Magnus Stinger (great broadhead) on my buck I shot with my Bear Hunter recurve last season, but it wasn't the serrated version as they are illegal for hunting in Canada.
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features ... /index.cfm
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

LoneWolf wrote:Neil,

Rebel Hog,

but it wasn't the serrated version as they are illegal for hunting in Canada.
Why? :shock:
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Not sure why they're illegal in Canada, but for some reason they are.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Rebel Hog wrote:Lone Wolf, take a look! :lol:

www.frow-biggamerecords.com/moosexbow.htm - 8k -
I hear ya Rebel Hog.

That is a great bull moose! 8)

I happen to be an official FROW measurer/scorer and I'm aware of that, but it doesn't say anywhere what weight of head and bolt he was shooting. However, I'm sure I can get that information if I really wanted to. :wink:

I guess I just have my beliefs and will stick by them.

As the ol' saying goes "To each their own" :lol:

You know what they say... It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have!... :D :wink:
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

LoneWolf wrote:Not sure why they're illegal in Canada, but for some reason they are.

Question: Are serrated blades legal in all states and are they considered barbed heads?

Answer: Serrated heads are legal worldwide except in Ontario, Canada. Serrated heads should not be confused with barbed heads which refer to the rear edge of the blade. That edge cannot form an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule. In other words the rear edge cannot angle forward. Some newer heads on the market have forgotten this small detail and thier heads are illegal in many states and foreign countries.

Last edited by Rebel Hog on Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I stand corrected.

Only in Ontario!

Thanks
Ontario Trophy Bucks
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Do serrated blades really offer anything over unserrated blades? They claim to offer more cutting surface but isn't the size of the hole determined by the widest part of the broadhead, and angle of penetration.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

chris4570 wrote:Do serrated blades really offer anything over unserrated blades? They claim to offer more cutting surface but isn't the size of the hole determined by the widest part of the broadhead, and angle of penetration.
Well Chris, take a real sharp Straight Edge knife and try to cut in half a frozen juice can, now try it with a sharp Serrated Edge knife and see which one does the job easier? :o