NEW KID ON THE BLOCK

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Johnny Suttles

NEW KID ON THE BLOCK

Post by Johnny Suttles »

new kid on the block
I just bought my first crossbow EXOMAX, really like it allsome. I would like to THANK all of you for allowing people like me to read the form. It really helps, stops from asking so many questions. But I'm not new in hunting, been hunting all my life want see 49 again. I'm haveing trouble with lazer II'S by reading the form I understand what to do. Brass insert or stay with my 2219 the carbons mite be to light........
AGAIN THANKS TO YOU'ALL TN. DEER

THE NEWBEEEEEEEEEEEE
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Welcome, I'm fairly new here too. By the way, I'm just down the road from you. There are a fair number of members from Tennessee. Some one should be along to help with your Gold Tips. What exactly is the problem?

Regards
Joe
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!
wabi
Johnny Suttles

Post by Johnny Suttles »

thanks for your reply ,i thought they were more friendly than this I must be to of a newbey. I got some lazers 20 yards they flew great but after that they would't group. I read if you use brass inserts an 4 in. vains they would group alot better. Also afraid they are to lite. I have 2219 an have talk to DAN miller I will problely just buy some carbons from him.
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
Johnny Suttles

Post by Johnny Suttles »

Thanks for the reply WABI

BEST REGARDS JOHNNY
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
Big John

new boy

Post by Big John »

Welcome to the forum. :)
There could be any number of things doing this.
Are you shooting from a bench rest, sand bags, etc.?
Are you shooting broadheads? Field points?
Gold tips should perform fine at thirty yds.
We need more info. to answer the question.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Johnny Suttles

Post by Johnny Suttles »

Thanks John I'm not new to arrow flight I'm useing fild points, from 30 to 50 they shoot 4-6 in right then left also shooting from a shooting vice my 2219 group fairly well
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Welcome, glad to have you here
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Johnny Suttles

Post by Johnny Suttles »

I just wanted to shoot carbons isted of alum.
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
Big John

newby

Post by Big John »

With my Exomax I can group 2"in. at thirty yds freehand.
I use GT 11's, 20"in. with six deg. off-set fletch, Brass front inserts, and aluminium rear, as well as Bolt Wraps. They run around 430 to 440 gr.

This is thirty yds. freehand. With these Bolts mentioned. Kneeling on the ground.

This is forty yds. same bolts, kneeling freehand.

Last edited by Big John on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Johnny
This may sound too obvious, but could you possibly be cocking the bow off-center? I shouldn't think you would be having a problem, especially with field tips. I don't shoot the Exomax, though I understand from reading that it's unique among the Excalibur "stable".

Joe
Johnny Suttles

Post by Johnny Suttles »

John I don't know what I'm doing wrong,mybe the arrow is to light an jumping the string. I can just about through a arrow that far. maybe I'm tilting the bow to one side or the other. Like you said pokeyjoe.
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
Johnny Suttles

Post by Johnny Suttles »

I'm also useing a cocking rope.
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
Johnny Suttles

Post by Johnny Suttles »

sorry John I'm useing excalibur II's surely they wouldn't sell something to light for the bow.
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have found that the Exomax's bolt speeds have the ability to show flaws in bolt/broadhead set-ups that slower bows/speeds do not show so well.

First thing I would do is buy a spinner. Really look at the straightness of your bolt. A slight bend will show up at 20 yards. Then look at the field tip/broadhead and make sure it's on straight, no wobble. Next, look at your inserts, make sure they are square. Then look at the tip of your field points/broadheads and make sure the point is center. Most flaws here will show up as you are spinnng the bolt. The squareness of the inserts may take a special tool. Next, check your fletches for extra weight . . .while the bolt is on the spinner, slowly turn the bolt and let go, if the bolt is well balanced, then it will stay in position. If off balance, then the heavy fletch/side will turn down. If the fletch is not the problem, then it's too much glue on one side of the insert.

Brand new, out of the box does not mean it's balanced nor straight. It means it's new and that's all. I have found excess glue that settled on one side of the bolt, broadheads with tips off center, bolts with bad balance, and slightly bent bolts in my gear. After weeding these out . . .everything groups within an inch, even in windy conditions at 40 yards . . .not using a vise.

The Exomax is an awesome bow. However, special care needs to be given to the bolts/broadheads or it will drive you nuts.

The bow can be cocked off center even using the cocking rope, if your rope is not smooth and it catches the wheel and drags, then it will cock to one side. Or if one wheel is not rolling smoothly, it will cock to one side. Anyway, mark your string and double check. Also, check your serving for damage, it can throw off your shot as well. Keep the serving well waxed.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen