What I think of Fenced Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LeGrand

What I think of Fenced Hunting

Post by LeGrand »

Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Not my " cup of tea " either ...

bstout wrote :
A guy who goes into the wild and gets a huge buck on a whim has my respect.
I agree but , I think any guy or gal who goes into the wild and gets any deer with archery tackle has my respect ...
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Well you just have to go to France for this type of hair-brain idea.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/stor ... cbd72c632a
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
TYE

Post by TYE »

:lol: :lol: That picture was funny.
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Here is a reply from a French Canadian hunting Forum member on what he thinks we should send to France (about what we think of their red wines) as our own insult.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/35/francewineqj6.jpg
A.W

Post by A.W »

LeGrand.

Looks like Quebec may have to take the "cow by the antlers" and tell them what you all really think. :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the only plus I could see of any fence is keeping hunting dogs out. In va you can use dogs and some landowners dont like them.

But I could never go on a fenced hunt... granted you might kill a 150-180 class deer, but its in a damn pen :roll: Thats not hunting, its paying for a deer you know you are gonna kill
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I have friends in Texas who hunt on a high-fence ranch about one or twice a year. The ranch is over 10,000 acres in size. A ranch that size does not make for a canned hunt, but to non-hunters and anti-hunters alike it sounds awfully unfair to the animal and only gives them extra mud to sling. Non-hunters hear "high-fence" and think it's like taking your rifle to the zoo. High fence hunting on large enough scale is not unethical, but I think it looks really bad to the non-hunting public.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

BigTiny wrote:I have friends in Texas who hunt on a high-fence ranch about one or twice a year. The ranch is over 10,000 acres in size. A ranch that size does not make for a canned hunt, but to non-hunters and anti-hunters alike it sounds awfully unfair to the animal and only gives them extra mud to sling. Non-hunters hear "high-fence" and think it's like taking your rifle to the zoo. High fence hunting on large enough scale is not unethical, but I think it looks really bad to the non-hunting public.
I see what you are saying... if its 15,000 acres its a big difference, but hunting a 50-100acre fenced farm would more than likely increase your odds bigtime :shock:
hawg hunter

high fences

Post by hawg hunter »

I'm from Texas as you all know. I'm aworking man and it's cheaper to go out of state hunting . Ther is little public land so you have to lease a piece of prperty to hunt on. High fence deer have become big business.The wild life of the state belong to the people not some wealthy land owner to sell. the ranch I hunted for over twenty years was taken over by a corp. in the name of deer management and weeded the little guys out. We killed some good deer and ther was no high fence. we practiced good management and supplemental feeding during those years. Since the ranch was taken over bythe corp they have high fenced., have breeding pens, artifiscal insemenation, vets and a 10000 dollarprice per deer shot with a trophy fee of 200 for each pt over 160 B@C 1000over 170. The deer have ear tags so you know what you are shooting at. The ranch is 50000 acres. In my opinion this is not hunting deer. It is shooting cattle.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Didn't somebody post a video link a while back about some guys that went to one of these places and shot a trophy? It cost him a fortune.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

It doesn't matter if it is 500 or 50,000 acres. High fence is not fair chase. Not everyone who hunts these things are hunting in the middle of this acreage. Some of the best hunting on a particular ranch may be within 200 yards of this fence. Some 190+ inch deer on any high fence operation may have been trying in vain to get through the fence for the last 2 days because of a hot doe, mineral lick, better feed or because he just wanted too. Then along comes mister high dollar hunter and kills this deer 500 yards from the fence and proclaims it a fair chase kill. Is it? Radio collard deer have been tracked traveling up to 30 miles in just over a couple weeks and bucks in rut have traveled 10+ miles in just one night! So I really don't care if you kill the deer on the fence line or in the middle of the fenced ranch, IT IS NOT FAIR CHASE. If they want it to be fair chase then take the fence down! But we all know the reason that fence is there and what purpose it really serves.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

the problem i have with fenced hunts, big or small, is that there is no downside to overhunting. When you can do anything you want in the deer woods and the deer can't leave its not fair chase.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I don't hunt behind fences, and I haven't, but that's not why I'm posting.

I was going to post a question about how "fair chase" is determined ... but I realized it's just not a topic that commonly lends itself to hunter consensus ... and thinking discretion better than discourse, I was just going to exit the thread without posting at all ... but my self-willed pinkie finger hit "return" and caused my reply to submit ... so here goes:

It seems to me that in the end, everybody's idea of what "fair chase" is and isn't is largely determined by their own approval or disapproval of different places of pursuit, types of hunting, manner of taking, and such. I believe that until people can suspend their innate tendency to consider their own ideas about such stuff inherently better than everyone else's, there's no hope of coming to any substantial agreement in such a subjective field of commentary.

If God had handed down from a fiery cloud some rule about "fair chase" carved upon a stone tablet, I would consider that determinative ... but I think a lot of talk about such things as "high-fenced hunting" has a great deal to do with what individuals personally prefer and approve, rather than what's right and wrong.

It's OK to discuss such things and to "say your piece" concerning them ... but if you base your statements only on what you prefer and approve, remember that individual opinion is just that ... individual and opinion.

My own opinion about high-fenced hunting is that if it's legal, and available to you, and you want to do it, well ... then that's something you can do. As for me, you're not interested in what I think about it anyway.
Grizz
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

I hunt a section of wood of 40 acres surronded by farm plots.I did QDM on that wood and raise the herd from 5 deers to 80 deers.Does it make it a fenced hunting ground?There is no fences but deers get to stay there due to foods plots, proper management etc.
What do you think?
Taureau noir