BroadHead test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

BroadHead test

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

This is probably the most comprehensive broadhead test that I have seen to date. This test uses ballistic gelatin that contained shoulder bones and was wrapped in deer hide. Has they said "... all heads tested will probably kill a white-tailed deer with proper shot placement" but it makes for some very interesting reading. Enjoy

Broadhead Myth Busters: Part I
http://www.hunting.net/articles/article ... les_id=523

Broadhead Myth Busters: Part II
http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/arti ... les_id=529

Have any of you shot the Grim Reaper out of an Exocet???

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
M&M

Post by M&M »

I did try some grim reapers with my exocet 200 and they shot very accuratly but for me it was a tough choice between the grim reaper and the spitfire, the spitfire seemed to shoot just a tiny bit tighter group for me. so I went with that head allthough after reading that info I may give them another try. M&M
diesel

Post by diesel »

I have a friend of mine that has used them. They worked great but you only get to shoot the broadhead once. Each time you shoot you are going to bend or break the brades.
Thanks for the post. I would like to see the DVD they talked about. I could not find the video.
M&M

Post by M&M »

myself I did not have any problems with breaking or bending any of the blades when shooting them into my Block broadhead target (I could not find the vidieo either) M&M
Horizontal Hunter

Here is the video that they talked about:

http://www.whitetailu.com/grimreapervideoREVISED.htm

The GrimReaper Razortip has replacable blades so I would think that you can reuse the broadhead. There is no doubt that they make one big hole.

HH
shewe

Post by shewe »

most interesting tset. i just wish they had published all the results.
laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and they laugh louder.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

shewe wrote:most interesting tset. i just wish they had published all the results.
I agree.

Furthermore, since Grim Reaper conducted the test, I don't find "their" results surprising. What company would conduct a test and put down their own product. In my opinion, the test was done with ulterior motives, and their short video is nothing more than propaganda and an infomercial.

Had the test been conducted by an independent group, and the entire results published for all to see, I don't doubt that it might have told an entirely different story.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

A real nice advertisment for grim reaper. I myself will stick to a fixed broadhead. No test can actually represent a hunting condition and I have personally seen mechanicals fail on two seperate instances. I guess I am just old school. But I do know this, the more moving parts there are on any type of device there is more of a chance of it breaking or a total malfunction. Thats why I shoot Excalibur and fixed broadheads.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Have any of you shot the Grim Reaper out of an Exocet???
Yep, And I never got past testing them on a target. One blade was always open when they went through the paper target on front of the foam, and accuracy wasn't as good as many other heads.
wabi
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

This is a comparative test on principal italian bowhunters site:

http://www.cacciaconlarco.it/Magazine/A ... apunte.htm#

The tests are very hard: you can notice the ranking position of Grim Raper.... :D :D :D
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Horizontal Hunter

When I posted this test I was aware that the testing was the idea of Jay Liechty, president of Grim Reaper. However, I did not realize that he was an active participant in the test. I agree with Shewe, ComfyBear, Buckeye that the testing was very biased and a great advertisement for GrimReaper. One I certianly fell for.

I do know someone who uses them exclusively in a vertical bow and has had very good luck with them. I have hunted for many years with a vertical bow and have had good luck with a 3 blade 100g Muzzy on a carbon arrow chronoed at 286 fps. Last year was the first time I was unable to recover a deer in many years of hunting. The arrow was a complete pass thru and was found in a tree on the other side of where the deer was standing covered with blood and hair. The shot placement was good at 12 yards. I never found a drop of blood or the animal after searching for many hours over two days.

Being unable to recover this animal bothers me still and is something that I never want to happen again. A back injury has forced me to switch to a crossbow for this season and I am looking for the "perfect broadhead." A broadhead that flies like a fieldpoint and makes a large hole. My concern was that they would open prematurely and thanks to Wabi's post I know that they do open prematurely and I will look for a different broadhead.

Mathias72 provided a good nonbiased test which ranks Slick Tricks at the top, another broadhead I have heard good things about.

Thank you all for your input and saving me a few bucks on poor performing broadheads.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Another problem I have with these tests . . .most are done indoors under perfect conditions . . .well, I don't hunt indoors nor in perfect conditions.

I'm doing more of my testing in windy conditions. I want to be comfortable with my set-up regardless of the weather.

Under hunting conditions, seems like the mechanicals would have a definite advantage over the fixed blades. However, from the testing I've done thus far, the shorty type fixed blade Slick Trick has grouped just about as good as the mechanical. The mechanical has performed very well as far as opening/not opening using one o-ring.

Anyway, I have much more testing I want to complete before making a choice and I have all summer to get it done.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Sumner4991,

I read your earlier posting on broadhead testing on the 100 grain Wasp, Slick Trick, and NAP's ScorpionXP. It is great to see information on broadheads shot out of crossbows in more realistic hunting conditions.

I also thought that a mechanical broadhead would have a definite advantage over the fixed blades and I look forward to some more of your testing results.

Thanks,

HH
shewe

Post by shewe »

i like the italian test.....now if i can get a translator....lol :lol:
laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and they laugh louder.