Lost control of myself...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Lost control of myself...

Post by DrDan »

I sold a microscope today and had a wad of cash in pocket. This is the perfect time to avoid all gun and bow shops, but unfortunately I didn't!

I've been teaching my 8 year old grandson to shoot 22 rifle at the club indoor range and he is just nuts about it! Anyhow my 22's are all too long length of pull for the little feller so I found a "Stevens Favorite" made now by Savage. Really a safe little rifle with a drop lock single shot action. It has an extractor rather than an ejector so each time you put a shell in and fire it you have to manually take the spent cartridge back out again. You always know when a shell is in the chamber. Also has exposed hammer with crossbolt in case when cocking it the hammer slips out from under the finger it won't go off. Anyhow, I think it is a good starter rifle for the boy.

I'm a firm believer that if the child is mature and listens to what you are telling him it is good to start them young under adult supervision. I started shooting 22 rifle with NRA Target program at 9 years old and it taught me respect for firearms in addition to proper safe handling and marksmanship. By the time I was 11 I had all the NRA Jr Rifle medals other than Distinguished Rifleman which I never earned. Anyhow I think the kids that get into trouble with guns are the kids who have been neglected. Hell yes they all want to shoot, but someone needs to spend the time to teach them the safe way to do so.

Then on the way out of the shop I noticed a Taurus Model 62 which is an exact copy of the old Winchester Model 62 slide action 22 rifle. My brother-in-law had an original Winchester when I was a kid and on rare occasion he let me shoot gophers with it. I always loved that little rifle and could shoot it well. Well the Taurus was chambered in 17 HMR which I haven't tried yet. I have a bolt action Savage 17 Mach II that I love but it isn't quite enough to stop a coyote. I don't thing the HMR is really enough either but I have known several people who have dropped coyotes at 100 yards with them. At least with the slide action you can always pump another round into them. So I now have two new rifles and my tail is hanging low... but I grinning.

Do you guys think 8 years old is too young to start a boy on controlled range target shooting? I know I need to constantly monitor him and teach, but I get as much kick out of teaching him as he gets out of shooting. He had one of them soft air pistols that his mom dropped off here to "keep for him" but I thought it was a piece of junk. We put a target on cardboard at 15 feet away and the dang plastic pellets were bouncing right back at us and then the chickens were eating them and chitting orange balls! So I'm kinda into shooting something which has some accuracy with real cartridges.

Your opinions are appreciated - maybe I just a gun nut and should wait until he is older.

Crossbows are a little heavy for him but maybe a kids vertical bow would be good this summer. Anyone have any ideas on a light weight, low draw weight bow?

Thanks

DrDan
TPM

Post by TPM »

I guess it depends on the maturity of the kid. If the kid can focus and follow direction then I'm sure he's ready. I started shooting air rifle at age 7. I learned safety, responsibility and respect for fire arms as well as marksmanship. By age 10 I was in the Jaycee air rifle program and by age 14 I was on the Canadian team at their annual international match (held in Iowa that year). Those things I learned from age 7 to 14 have stuck with me all my life. I actually got away from the shooting sports for a few years in my teens. I'm also a musician and most of my spare time in high school and college was spent on music. It wasn't until I started to informally coach a hunter friend of mine on rifle shooting in my early twenties that I got back into it. I really doubt that if I hadn't of had the solid base of learning and experience as a youngster that I would have got into it as seriously as an adult.
Kudos for taking the time and interest to help a young shooter. The future of shooting sports relies on people like yourself.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I think its a great idea if the young kid is ready. I think the best way for someone to learn respect for guns is to shoot the real thing. My dad tells the story that when he was a kid, he used to take his .22 and shoot birds while he waited for the bus, and then just take the gun to school. Can you imagine the uproar if that happened today.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Kenton,
I'm 62 years old so when I was 12 (1957) I was running a trapline to make $$$. I always carried a Ruger 22 pistol in a plainly visible flap type holster. No you couldn't carry a concealed weapon in those days but if it was in plain sight there was no problems. After running my trapline, I often times just walked into town and stopped for a coke or at the hardware store and never took my Ruger off. Noone ever said a thing. Yes it sure was a different world. Kids didn't go off shooting people because as I understood it, if you did you'd get the electric chair! That was pretty much taken for granted. Now - heck if yah shoot someone and kill them your chances of prosecution are nil if you under age.

DrDan
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My son took his first buck with a .243 when he was 7 years old. He's 9 now and has killed 5 more deer since then. He has taken and passed the NC Hunter's Education and Safety course ( We take it together every year). I guess it depends on the maturaty of the child. No, my child doesn't run wild with a high powered rifle. I keep him on a very tight rope. :wink: As far as archery equipment, He got a Parker Buckshot for Christmas last year but hasn't had one close enough yet to make a clean kill. The Buckshot has a " grow into program ". After you purchase the bow, Parker will upgrade the limbs for $50.00 when the child is ready for more weight and a longer draw length. Tyler's comfortable with 42lbs.
This is the bow. Hope this helps

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0039006417304a.shtml
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Thanks Ray that's a really nice bow but a little pricey since I just blew my wad on rifles. I always enjoyed my recurve and may start him on something like that.

DrDan
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

DrDan . . .I'll bet you will find great leverage with the rifle too. He doesn't get to shoot unless he keeps his grades way up. That always worked on me . . .of course, the downfall . . .he gets great grades, goes to college, and gets a job in the CITY! :evil: Oh well . . .at least I got to enjoy the great outdoors while I was young! :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Johnny Suttles

young age

Post by Johnny Suttles »

DrDan you know the child if he wasn't ready I don't think you would be teaching him. I was raised in the country al my life,been around firearms all my life. I was taught at a early age that was part of our tools. Always something after the chickens or calfs. You never heard of kids killing people when I was growing up I'm fifity now. I think it's all in how you bring the child up. Enjoy every moment you can with him they grow up fast. Just don't push an he will enjoy an never forget.
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Johnny,

Yes me too. I grew up on farm and was driving truck and tractor at 7 years old and like you say a rifle was just another tool that we used to run the farm.

I think the whole problem with kids now is that they are frustrated! Parents are busy with their lives and don't take time to spend with them teaching them things and doing things with them. My gosh my dad helped me all the time building Soap Box Derby racers and then I got into building my own Go Karts and the man who ran the farm repair/welding/small engine shop helped me with engines and machineing. I guess I am fortunate. People used to really care about kids and helped them learn.

Every Sunday afternoon my Dad took me to the rifle range where we had NRA Junior target shooting. We never missed a Sunday.

Later when I was close to 16 years old and could get a car I got mine for $14. It was a 49 Chevy with the transmission in kit form on the floor of the back seat. I went to my Dad's mechanic and he taught me how to fix cars!

My brother-in-law taught me carpentry and plumbing; my Mom was a woodworker and I learned to build furniture from her.

Now here I am 62 years old and to tell you the truth I can fix darn near anything. What are these kids gonna do that just sit day after day punching a hand-held electronic game and being ignored by parents and elders? As a race we are in sad shape and it just keeps getting worse. Morality went out the tubes. My gosh when we can't look up to and respect the morals of the President of the US, Congressional people, Teachers and Priests where do the kids go for guidance? Don't know the answers other than to at least try to help those I come in contact with.

DrDan
Johnny Suttles

APARTMENT

Post by Johnny Suttles »

DRDAN YES THATS WHAT WRONG WITH KIDS TODAY COPED UP IN A APARTMENT AN DON'T EVEN KNOW THERE PARENTS.MY DAD ALLWAYS HAD TIME FOR ME THANK GOD. AN I RESPECTED HIM TO PLUS ALL ELDERS OR HE WOULD TEACH YOU REAL FAST HE MENT WHAT HE SAID, ONE TIME ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. IT'S UNTELLING WHERE I WOULD BE TODAY IF HE HADN'T RASED ME LIKE HE DID STRICK AN RESPECTABLE.
EXOMAX
SLICK TRICK 100
LASER-ll's
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Johnny,

Yup I know what you mean. My Dad never pulled the punches. He had a big Masonic ring and when he cuffed yah up side the head that thing would hurt like the dickens and raise a knot. Even the teachers back then demanded respect. One time I let slip with a mumble that my lady teacher was a bit_h. Oh my god I'll never forget that one. She dropped everything and came over and jerked me up out of my seat by the sideburn and held my head up and slapped me a couple good ones. the whole class just watched and was quiet as a mouse. Kids just didn't lip off to elders and teachers or they got physically punished. Where did that go? Now teachers have just given up! There is no control or order in classrooms. The teachers are just trying to keep peace until their next break from the little monsters. I think we need laws to protect teachers who need to slap the snot out of these kids who lip off.

Just my opinion.

DrDan
shewe

Post by shewe »

each child is different as far as maturity. sounds like the lad you're teaching is ready for the responsibility of marksmanship. kudos to you for taking him under your wing. i'm in my fifties and this thread sure brings back some memories. :)
laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and they laugh louder.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Shewe

If you saw his eyes light up when he hits a 8 or 9 ring you'd realize that to me that's all I need. I'm not real good with groups of kids or I'd start a NRA Junior Qualification Program. Maybe I can solicite help from others who are better with kids. When I was shooting Junior NRA the dad's would show up and make sure their kids were doing as instructed. Now these groups are just another place to drop them off with very little help from the parents.

The thing is that if we do not teach the children there will be noone to make sure we keep the right to keep and bear arms in the future. Hunting and shooting could end up just a fond memory without the kids to carry on for us.

DrDan (Sorry I such a space hog tonight - just nothing better to do)
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Heres a picture of my oldest when she was 5 years old and shooting for her first time. I sat her down when she was 3 and showed her the workings of firearms and the safe handling and dangers of each. I definitely say it depends on the child as to how early you start their teachings on such. When she was six she got her first gun at Christmas. You can get some funny looks from people when you tell them you got your six year old daughter a GUN for Christmas. I think its great and she does too! It is a Rossi .22/.410 combo, a real nice starter set for a child. She's seven now and loves to shoot whenever we can get the chance. My four year old isn't quite as into it as my oldest and I'm just waiting on her to be ready.
Why ride when you can walk!
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Groundpounder

OMG is that a Winchester Model 62? I just bought a Taurus replica in 22 HMR and just love that little rifle.

DrDan