Arrow speed and kinetic energy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Arrow speed and kinetic energy

Post by Pydpiper »

I have come across a few charts for determining KE, it is always relevant to the arrow weight and speed.
So, at what distance are we measuring the speed? I am using 435 grain arrows but the speed obviously drops the farther back from the target a person gets. So when the chart is asking for arrow speed what distance is it referring to?
For example, my Exocet shoots 316 FPS at 10 yards, do I use that 316 or the speed at the distance I am shooting?
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

two different things.

With the V° speed (exit speed) you measure the kinetic energy max of your crossbow (to understand the real performance respect another crossbow.

With the target speed (arrow speed during impact) you measure the kinetic energy real when the arrow hit the target. This is important to understand how many kinetic energy is necessary for penetrate on animal for example.
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thank you, It was your site that got me thinking of this. I recall reading that you typically do your measurements at around 3' or so?
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

If you can telll me your exact arrow weight with point or broadhead, arrow length, arrow diameter, fletch type(feather or vane), fletch length, fletch height, and if fletch is straight, offset, or helical, and your arrow launch speed, I have a ballistics program that will tell you the arrow drop and lag(speed loss) over 100 yards. I can tell you your speed, KE, and momentum at 10 yard intervals.
I never was as good as I used to be.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks Beaver, I have that program. :D
I guess my question was a little more generic, I was thinking about when an article refers to kinetic energy and speed, I don't know if it is referring to the speed of the arrow as it leaves the crossbow or the speed as it hits the target.

For those who don't have access to the program it is located here: This site belongs to an active member here. This site has some in depth (very in depth) information on crossbows, ballistics and real life tests. This guy has dedicated many, many hours of testing for everyones benefit.

http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.o ... Main0.html