Black Bears and Wolves

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

marmot

Black Bears and Wolves

Post by marmot »

I used to want to hunt in Canada; however, after watching a show about a guy who was attacked and eaten at a mining camp, I think I will take a pass. I want to know that I am the top predator in the forest. I gained a new level of respect for Canadians who hunt the deep bush after watching this show.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

The chances of being attacked by a black bear are exceptionally slim. I've hunted, camped, hiked, fished bear country for years and have never had hostile encounter. Most times you would never know you were in bear country save for the occasional track or scat.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

marmot,
Probably a good idea as marmot are consider prey. :lol: :lol:
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i saw a show a couple of nights ago about that, could be the same one. The more details they told, the more it seemed like he made mistake after mistake, along with these wolves becomming more used to humans because of their waste management practices.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
rutman

Post by rutman »

Chances are gettin better since they "ratarded their timing" about the spring bear hunt. Wait till they run out of deer. MMMM! bus stops!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
warpipe

Post by warpipe »

The best advice is to hunt using the buddy system and always ensure that he's a little slower runner than you.
TYE

Post by TYE »

warpipe wrote:The best advice is to hunt using the buddy system and always ensure that he's a little slower runner than you.
Big John

bear

Post by Big John »

I've Hunted and slept and eat'en around Black Bears for years, never had more than a couple close encounters. Even they were not to bad. Scared one off with a big rock, and the other close call came home in my coolers.
I have no problem in the outdoors with Bears around. However, I get most upset when there is none around, especially when it's hunting time.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
TYE

Post by TYE »

Bears are nothing to be afraid of :)

GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Those attacks your talking about came right here in this (my) province.

I never, but never, go into the bush for any reason, without a weapon on my person or on my quad. 99 times out of a 100, bears, wolves will leave you alone, but that 1%, ?????????

I've had two close encounters with black bears, both times I had a gun. I respect those creatures and never say, it won't happen to me.

The most dangerous time to have close encounters is spring when looking for shed horns. Bears come out of their dens, grumpy and hungry. It takes a little while before their stomachs get back to normal, but when it does, their very hungry. Not much around in the spring, just left overs from winter or previous summer.

It was last spring when a Saskatchewan man was attacked when looking for shed horns up north.

Grey Owl
marmot

Post by marmot »

Two of the areas that I fly fish have black bear problems; however, these bears are more interested in garbage than they are humans
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Always a good idea to carry a bag of stale jelly donuts or peanut butter crackers. Just toss em and run like hell.

DrDan
marmot

Post by marmot »

Here's a link to an article on the incident:
http://www.cbc.ca/sask/features/wolves/index.html

The above article omits the fact that Carnegie's body had been dragged approximately ninety feet after he was killed. IMHO, that part of the event has bear written all over it!
A.W

Post by A.W »

TYE wrote:Bears are nothing to be afraid of :)
I bet that's not what you thought when that bear came running at you. It's easy to say that now that you've changed your "depends". :lol: :lol:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
xeon

Post by xeon »

Marmot, Id say that more people are eaten alive by some flesh eating virus, than by a bear every year. You can stay out of Canada's prime hunting areas all you want, more for me. You need to seriously put that past you, and just do it... and do it with a gun too if your that scared :P