Lighted Nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Lighted Nocks

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Has anyone tried either of the lighted nocks for crossbows??

Tracer lighted nocks:
http://www.tracerarrow.com/page/page/2340033.htm

Lumenok lighted nocks:
http://www.lumenok.net/product.htm

Has I understand it the Tracer lighted nocks add 30 grains to the back of the crossbow bolt and are activated by passing over a magnet mounted on the crossbow. while the Lumenok lighted nocks add 26.2 grains to the back of the crossbow bolt and are activated by the nock being pushed in when the bolt is fired. It sure would make finding a fired bolt easier to find in low light. But I wonder how they hold up to the shock of being fired.

Thanks,

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
hawg hunter

lighted nocks

Post by hawg hunter »

Tracer nocks are made here in S.A. they worked on my bolts very well.They were shot on my wifes Phoenix at300fps and were working very well. They also wrked on my 200 Exomag.Only thing they are pricy. they were on Gold Tips w 100gr. slicks brass insert.
shewe

Post by shewe »

a little pricey. but i've had good luck with the luminocks. saved a few arrows that may have been lost. will never hunt w/o them again. :)
laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and they laugh louder.
Rich

Post by Rich »

I've used the Lume-noks for practice. I've probably got over 50 shots on one of the nocks and it never failed to light. I did encounter a few problems:

1. The very first bolt I shot the nock buried itself into the end of the shaft splintering it. I called Lume-nok and they sent me 3 brand new ones. It was one of the first Gold Tip II nocks and they may not of had the diameter just right.

2. The POI was 2-3 inches off from my regular nocks.

3. 1 of the 3 Lume-noks flew 6 inches off and was not useable.

4. I had to sand down the edges slightly because they were so tight in the shaft.

5. The little contact tabs on the nock make indents in the end of the bolt, never had the bolt splinter but I continually rotated the nock.

6. I had to order the lume-nocks directly from Burt Coyote for the Gold Tip II's, they do not sell them in stores.

7. I had the hardest time removing the nocks from my Gold Tips, I actually ruined 2 bolts and stuck myself in the foot with another.

Overall, I would still use them. Plus they are cool to shoot in the late afternoon. Just never had a chance to shoot a deer this year.

Rich
poordave

Tracers

Post by poordave »

Hi HH
Rich stated the problems with the Lumenoks so I'll skip that section.

Tracers.
I like these the best. They use a very powerful small magnet to turn it on & off. I put mine at the front of the bow. (TL4) my friend puts his on the arrow retention spring. They use 2 rubber O-rings to fill the ID. I had to remove the fat lower O-ring. The top of the nock will screw out of the housing to change the battery if necessary. I have not had a single problem. I have read where some did. Their return policy is great. Both nocks are $$$$$$$$$$. I'm using Beman Thunderbolts.

Make your own.
If you do a search here you will find a page on how to make your own. The diagram is for a standard nock but you can convert it to a flat or moon nock. I just bought the Thill battery set up from Cabelas for $2.50. each. They are used for fishing bobbers. The light is super bright. I have to locate some flat nocks & see how they work. It's based on the push-pull setup like the Lumenok. Hope this helps Dave
Horizontal Hunter

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences with the lighted nocks. I lost a few arrows last year s I was thinking about giving them a try but they seemed expensive and I didn't want to risk damaging a bolt fooling around with them. I was also wondering about the accuracy as this would change the FOC.I am guessing thats why Hawg Hunter uses brass inserts.
Building my own is an excellent idea. I didn't know that you could buy the Thill battery setup that cheap, thanks Dave.

HH
gad

Re: Lighted Nocks

Post by gad »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Has anyone tried either of the lighted nocks for crossbows??

Tracer lighted nocks:
http://www.tracerarrow.com/page/page/2340033.htm

Lumenok lighted nocks:
http://www.lumenok.net/product.htm

Has I understand it the Tracer lighted nocks add 30 grains to the back of the crossbow bolt and are activated by passing over a magnet mounted on the crossbow. while the Lumenok lighted nocks add 26.2 grains to the back of the crossbow bolt and are activated by the nock being pushed in when the bolt is fired. It sure would make finding a fired bolt easier to find in low light. But I wonder how they hold up to the shock of being fired.

Thanks,

HH
I have used both. IMO the tracer is much better. Beyond that, the tracer haves the option to use the flat butt. The lumenock does not.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I like the Tracers. Here's a similar thread I posted to in more detail: link.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Gad,

Maybe I misunderstood your statement about Lumenoks not having the option of flat nocks. You can special order flat nocks for GT II's directly from Burt Coyote.

Rich
Horizontal Hunter

How does the aded weight at the rear of the bolt affect the flight of the bolt and the POI (point of Impact)?? and does it make sense to use a brass insert of equal weight in the front of the bolt to rebalance the bolt??

Thanks,

HH
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

I didn't increase the weight up front, but I saw no significant difference in POI. I only shoot from 20 yards free-handed, though.
gad

Post by gad »

Rich wrote:Gad,

Maybe I misunderstood your statement about Lumenoks not having the option of flat nocks. You can special order flat nocks for GT II's directly from Burt Coyote.

Rich
New option I think. On the time I get them, they don't have the option for flat nocks, only moon nocks. :roll:
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED