Paradox vs Recurve!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rutman

Paradox vs Recurve!

Post by rutman »

You guys seem to be focused on recurve excals morso than much talk of paradox's Why?. Other than the availability of recurves. The trigger mech. is the same which puts them at equal accuracy. There is less to go wrong with a recurve, sure BUT the paradox is WAY less clumbsy! :roll:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Digger

Post by Digger »

They haven't made a Paradox in 3 years, or a Wolverine in 15 years, but I'll talk all you want on them. I own both and shoot them. :D :D

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

I thought you sold the Paradox Doug?
Digger

Post by Digger »

I had three Tye and sold 2.
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
TYE

Post by TYE »

Digger wrote:I had three Tye and sold 2.
Oh, well than. :) Oops.

I've always wanted to get a compound crossbow, but I was always somewhat afraid of the compound idea, since they don't get a long with dryfires too much. :lol:
rutman

Post by rutman »

I pulled the big dryfire on my paradox mid deer season. Zero damage, I was amazed. It happened as a was trying to put the safety on after loading with the rope cocker. I had glove on :oops: and i was on a pile of saw dust when it went poww!. It scared the crap out of me, I looked it over and was so keen to hunt, I loaded it. It worked mint!, the guy at the local bow shop said, had it been a recurve it would have been wrecked. It didn't even loose point of impact! :D
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

rutman wrote:I pulled the big dryfire on my paradox mid deer season. Zero damage, I was amazed. It happened as a was trying to put the safety on after loading with the rope cocker. I had glove on :oops: and i was on a pile of saw dust when it went poww!. It scared the crap out of me, I looked it over and was so keen to hunt, I loaded it. It worked mint!, the guy at the local bow shop said, had it been a recurve it would have been wrecked. It didn't even loose point of impact! :D
Got to disagree with the guy at the local bow shop! Not bragging, just confessing. I've had a grand total of 4 dry-fires with three Excalibur recurves and NEVER had any damage or change in point of impact!
wabi
Digger

Post by Digger »

rutman wrote:I pulled the big dryfire on my paradox mid deer season. Zero damage, I was amazed. It happened as a was trying to put the safety on after loading with the rope cocker. I had glove on :oops: and i was on a pile of saw dust when it went poww!. It scared the crap out of me, I looked it over and was so keen to hunt, I loaded it. It worked mint!, the guy at the local bow shop said, had it been a recurve it would have been wrecked. It didn't even loose point of impact! :D
A dry fire is tough on any bow, but more so on a compound or a high poundage recurve. A 150 lb Vixen or a 165 lb Exocet are pretty much bullet proof. the guy at the local bow shop was sh*tting you. You just got lucky. 8)
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
rutman

Post by rutman »

As in your signature! OH YES! I did realize that mistake and hopefully that will never happen again. Thank god for the saw dust that flew 10 feet in the air.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I have a maxpoint and they are nice xbows'. No complaints. I do wish excal would have stayed with one compound model like the paradox. By now they would have really been pushing the speed envelope with a compound.

Although the mag and max are no slugs when it comes to speed.

The extra width of my mag does not bother me, but the weight out on the end is a little heavy sometimes. The maxpoint, (paradox), is much easier to steady than the mag because of the shorter rail. Similar to the vixen in length but a little heavier.
mike41

Paradox vs Recurve!

Post by mike41 »

Just out of curiosity? When excalibur was selling the Paradox what was the selling price, for bow only? Poundage W/L rail length?

Saw one on ebay a few weeks back, had reserve of $750.00 bow only. Auction expired day after I saw it, don't know if it sold or not.

Mike41:
Digger

Post by Digger »

They were about $599 US for the Maxpoint around $700 Cnd for the Pardox in 2002. The last Paradox I bought just after Excal announced they were dropping the line I bought for $500 Cnd.
Accelerate beyond the norm! It's easy with this MaxPoint/Paradox Crossbow. It's a heavy hitter, producing 175 lbs. of raw power that zings your broadhead an amazing 340 F.P.S. with dead-on accuracy! The ZERO let-off MaxWing Cams are the muscle end of a 13 1/2" power stroke. When the cam reaches its draw force peak, it stays there, storing 25-35% more energy than any modern bow. You get sweet cash off on these factory new Crossbows that normally fly for much more.
Built strong like a brick outhouse:

IBO is 340 F.P.S.
Machined 6061-F6 aluminum riser
Super strong arc carbon quad limbs
Right or left-handed grip
Tech twist string length is 39 1/2"
Manual safety
Integral fiber optic sight and a built-in peep sight
Weighs 7 lbs.
Axle-to-axle length is 27 3/4".
Digger
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
mike41

Paradox vs Recurve!

Post by mike41 »

thanks Digger, sounds like a nice xbow. Lot of power for a 13 1/2" power stroke.

Mike41:
mike41

Paradox vs Recurve!

Post by mike41 »

One last question. Unless answered by management or owners I quess it will be conjecture only. But with excaliburs name recognition and reputation I wonder why they discontinued the compound models? Were they making recurve xbows at the same time they were making compounds?

Granted I don't get ot very much and have never been to a big sports show, I hadn't even heard of Excalibur until I came across it on the internet, just a few yrs ago and joined this forum. But please remember that I live in a small town, and don't know anybody else who has ever used a xbow. From just reading magazines over the yrs. and going to our very small archery shop, and spending a lot of time at the local archery range, its seems to me that you see very few traditional bows, in comparison to compound bows.

Again I want to say I am in no way putting down "Excalibur" I am just trying to figure out the logic, which no doubt had to be a business decision. Its goes without saying that management must be satisfied or they would bring back the compound xbow. (curiosity is not a bad thing)

Mike41:
rutman

Post by rutman »

It's just what I heard but excal and bear archery went togeather and built these bows. Excal was selling alot of these bows and only getting whatever the percentage was. It is far better for them not to have to split on available market with any other company. It's all about the trigger mech. anyway. Accuracy relies largely on a sweet crisp light trigger with little or no creep.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!