Did you know Black Widow Spider

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

Did you know Black Widow Spider

Post by DrDan »

I just read that up until just a few years ago, Leupold used the web from Black Widow spiders to make the crosshairs in their scopes. Now they are using titanium wire.

Pretty darn interesting because I never heard of anyone breaking a crosshair - the web must be tough. Can you imagine having the job of stringing spider web inside a telescopic sight? Must take a steady hand.

DrDan
TYE

Post by TYE »

I don't know how the heck that would work... :?
Digger

Re: Did you know Black Widow Spider

Post by Digger »

DrDan wrote: Can you imagine having the job of stringing spider web inside a telescopic sight? Must take a steady hand.

DrDan
How about the guy that squeezes the silk from the BW spider? Have to whisper sweet nothings in her ear when squeezing and sound sincere.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I was interested and Googled it. Interesting - they like to hang out in woodpiles and I burn wood. Hmmmm Maybe gloves be good idea. Can make yah pretty darn sick for a few days.

DrDan
TYE

Post by TYE »

Personally I HATE spiders.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Tye

Are yah askeered of em? Do yah scream and jump up on a chair when yah see one?

I swear my sister will probably die of a heart attack someday when she sees a spider. She just go nuts!

DrD
TYE

Post by TYE »

DrDan wrote:Tye

Are yah askeered of em? Do yah scream and jump up on a chair when yah see one?

I swear my sister will probably die of a heart attack someday when she sees a spider. She just go nuts!

DrD
Naw, I just avoid them. It's the big fat ones that freak me out. Seen one in the thing above my driveway door one time, that had to be the size of a timbit. That sucker creeped me out.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Yup them black hairy ones freak me out but as long as they stay on their web I leave em alone cuz they eat other bugs. I like to watch em kill their prey.

DrD
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I don't like snakes very well either. My friend who owns a bait shop is right next door to a reptile shop and he thinks it real funny to go over there and get a big python and bring it back and set it on my lap. Yah - like I told the old lady, if he does it again go get my Magnum outa the car. I would - I'd drill that sucker right there on the sidewalk.

Then he tried to get me to hold a 5' aligator too. In fact "snake people" freak me out. Just try to avoid that scene

DRD
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

One of the reasons I married my husband was to have a "spider slayer". :oops: Hubby has taught our toddler to say "mommy thinks spiders are icky yucky" - it's their private little joke. Cute, but I honestly don't like spiders in the house. If they're outside I'm on their turf, but inside they're on mine! LOL
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

hey tye, if you don't mind what the hell is a timbit?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Steelworker a timbit is the hole of the donut.the round things on the left.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

We've got lots of Black Widows around here. They're not even rare.

Yes, DrDan, they do love woodpiles ... and anything low to the ground that affords shelter and attracts crickets.

I find them and destroy them frequently ... egg sacks too ... don't forget the egg sacks. The ones you find will be females guarding those sacks or setting up house ... rarely find a male. It's the girls who hurt ya, too. They are one of the few things I kill without compunction. I enjoy eliminating Widows.

Nasty old waxy black things, with their long shiny legs ... belly like a marble ... the one good thing about them is that they are not aggressive and tend to move slowly. They are web defenders, and usually just tuck back into the nest and let you squash them. Not to be played with, though.

I saw one stumble onto a fire-ant mound once while I was weed-eating. That was a sight to see. They killed it, too.

I can see how their web could be processed into a crosshair thread. I've balled up many a widow web in my fingers ... it is strong. They're "cobweb" spiders, and you can roll that stuff into a string, nearly.

Anyhow, I hate Black Widows. Can I send anyone some?
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizz, its the same up here man.. they are so common and under everything you pick up outside. the bad thing is some like to make nests under farm equipment which suks. If I see them first im fine, but you know when you hit their webs also. They are super strong and different from any webs ive see. But like ya said, they move slow and tend to hide. They wont bite unless you mash them or play with them.

the ones I look out for are brown recluses.. now those are the ones that can really mess you up! Since they are small and quick, its usually to late when you do actaully see them
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

crazyfarmer wrote:Grizz, its the same up here man.. they are so common and under everything you pick up outside. the bad thing is some like to make nests under farm equipment which suks. If I see them first im fine, but you know when you hit their webs also. They are super strong and different from any webs ive see. But like ya said, they move slow and tend to hide. They wont bite unless you mash them or play with them.

the ones I look out for are brown recluses.. now those are the ones that can really mess you up! Since they are small and quick, its usually to late when you do actaully see them
Same here with Black Widows!

This is what happens from Recluse bites! Imagine on other parts of the body! :roll:

"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/