growing trophy bucks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

growing trophy bucks

Post by crazyfarmer »

now im for foodplots and trying to manage deer but this place takes it to a whole different level. I see you can actaully pick the buck you want to breed and harvest his son

http://www.trophyclassdeer.com/hunts.htm

The place is in Pa.. now its their business and everyone likes different things. I was watching Keith Warren outdoors on the outdoor network and he was their hunting. I was amazed how HUGE deer after deer kept coming by him. I knew something had to be up and went to their website and find out why they had all these big bucks. Its no different from my and our cattle. Breed what you want and take whatcha want :!:

3-8k depending on what size deer you wish to hunt LOL

i just posted this since we were all on the topic of fenced hunting.. now this is a whole different ballpark :?
rutman

Post by rutman »

I'm not a fan of the genetic freak deer. It's all about who has the money to harvest. I believe that these kind of deer should not even be allowed to be entered in any book. The guy's that guide the so called hunters can pattern the deer to the point that the money man only has to show up for the shot. OOOOOH! I got a trophy and only had to take 20 minutes from my busy schedule. Most are shot in a food plot or at a feeder with a high powered rifle. Truly wild deer harvested legally in an ETHICAL fashion should at least have their own B&C, P&Y etc. BOOOOOOH!
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

To each their own, I guess. I wouldn't think the satisfaction level could be the same as that experienced by regular guys like us who hunt regular deer in regular conditions! You're right ... that situation is irregular!

The satisfaction thing is why I love to hunt with primitive weapons like longbows and flintlocks ... any regular old deer cleanly killed with a stickbow or a smokepole represents a job well done.

I think if I bought a deer I'd feel that I'd ... well, "bought a deer."

I don't think I'd like the feeling nearly as much.

If that's what they want to do, though, I guess they can have at it.
Grizz
TPM

Post by TPM »

Never liked these canned hunts. I was working in Texas years ago when we drove past a property surrounded by seemingly endless high fencing. I thought it was part of a State Prison until I drove by the gate. Of course it was a deer farm. I saw this same place a while later on a "hunting" show but never saw any footage of the fencing or gates. :roll: :roll:
Hey grizz, cool that you hunt with a flintlock. I've shot a lot of muzzle loader in my day but all caplock. I've never hunted with my muzzle loader yet but I think it's soon time. Right now I'm shooting a T/C Hawken 54 cal.. I want to work up a good load for shooting conicals this summer as I've been mostly a round ball shooter so far.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

This is a handmade .62 smoothbore fowling piece ... Chambers lock, Getz swamped barrel, Davis trigger ... she's a real nice gun. Not a rifle, but capable of 3" groups out to around 60 yards. Balances and swings like a dream. Good for small game and waterfowl hunting, too.

I don't have one, but I love TC Hawkens ... not because they're authentic copies of anything, but because of what they are ... a stand-on-their own American icon. They are by far the best of the economical sidelocks available ... dependable and well made ... a real trademark of American quality. There are more of them around than any other muzzleloader, including originals. I'd love to have one of the early production models in my collection, just because of what they represent. They were almost wholly responsible for the renaissance of modern blackpowder shooting. I'm sorry to see the decline of their popularity in favor of the more "modern" in-lines.

There is a lot of bull out there about blackpowder. That ol' Hawken you've got will do it every tiime you want it to, and do it well.

Enjoy it, man.
Grizz
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Now I know that id feel alot more satisfaction if i went out in the wild and harvested a deer with a rack a quarter the size of any of those bucks because well thats what i did, harvest a deer. There all they are doing is raising deer. Like figure how used to humans they must be. Its just not right that some people feel the need to go into a zoo pretty much and pick what they want. Id rather go ask a farmer for permission, set up arround his fields and have good days and bad ones. Thats what makes hunting hunting. I guess to each their own, but thats deffinetally not my style of "hunting".
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
warpipe

Post by warpipe »

I don't believe shooting a penned in deer you picked out of a catalogue is truly hunting. Seem's to be more like a pay per view slaughter. Hunting should be a time to respect/enjoy the outdoor's and if you get some meat (especially if it's attached to a large rack) that's a bonus. I'm sure in this case they'll guarantee you a deer from the "prepaid package" and we know that can't mean a fair chase. To each his own I guess!
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I believe it was Coach Woody Hayes who said if its not hard, its not worth a damn. Making hunting eaiser doesn't make it better.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I cant believe many actaully go there and hunt. I guessing thats why the prices are very high and they have different classes. Im sure the people that do hunt there have more money then they need anyway so its just pocket change to them. To me its just like going online and ordering a hunting jacket. Just depends on which you want and how much you want to spend. Then 4 days later its at your door.....

granted I'd love to shoot one of those huge deer, but I'd rather save 7k and kill something 1/4th the size wild from my own stands
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

If I'm not mistaken, this is the place that Tina ( my wife ) tried to book a hunt after my accident but when the info came in the mail,it had a photo of each particular deer, it's inventory #, the score of the rack , the estimated weight, and the price. :twisted: . I'll quit hunting before I go to one of these slaughter houses. I did go on a hunt in Ill. and got to see some bucks that just grow that big around here. Didn't harvest a buck but had a great time. Wasn't a fenced operation.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ray, the only plus I could see from that place was if say someone was in a wheelchair or had not so long to live. It would be a good way to get them a definite trophy. Other than that, its like raising cattle. Watching the show on TV you had no idea of what they did. They claim it was great deer management. Well it is, but its a whole different level of management from what we do with food plots and trying to pass on small deer in the wild.

again, each their own, but I could never claim a deer I killed there :(
rutman

Post by rutman »

We all can feel that much better that were not having to hunt in that environment. This year I saved $3,900.00 U.S by shooting mine in the wild. I hope to save more money next year! :lol:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

well put rutman
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
A.W

Post by A.W »

Not interested in this kind of hunt. They probably have "butler" service at their stand.

The first deer I ever got cost me more than that. Truck, 4-wheeler, rifle, gear, single malt, etc.etc.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Aw, c'mon, A.W. Don't knock the butler service! Bacon and eggs, fresh juice and hot coffee delivered right to your stand. Maybe a masseuse to come and work the knots out of your shoulders after all that hard work and effort spent cocking your bow. Cucumber slices for your eyes to help keep them sharp and in-focus. I don't think you've thought this through... :wink:

Cheers!

Savagevervet