Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the frenchman

meat smoker

Post by the frenchman »

hi to all

I am looking for a plan or a picture of a home made
meat or fish smoker

can any of you provide me with one or the other?

thank's in advance

Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Here's an easy cheap one to get you going

http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

DrDan
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

thank's drdan for the link

Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
xeon

Post by xeon »

You would never imagine someone to make a smoker out of a garbage can. I think that is something I might try this summer. Great link.
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Ingenious...and just what I need to freak the neighbors out:

"Honey. HONEY! Come here and look out the window. The guy across the street is eating out of his own garbage can!"

Savagevervet
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Personally.... If it were me, I'd use a 55 gallon barrel and make a nice door on it so chips could be added without removing the grate and meat to get to the smoker chip pan.

DrDan
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I have cooked a turkey in a garbage can similar to that but you turn the can upside down . The turkey was to big for any traditional method of cooking . Bill T at the company picnic has cooked a hind of venison this way as well . You put the meat on a spit then place the can over the works ,pour half a bag of charcoal on top of the can and the other half around the base . Light it up and about 2 hours later it is cooked . Basicly a poormans dutch oven .
Allan

Post by Allan »

Cold smoking or hot smoking ? Huge difference.

. For cold smoking, any box will do, including a lean to. All one requires is an area to entrap the smoke. I use an old ice box to smoke my spork sausage.

Pre-smoking preparation is important.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Yes there is a difference... What I believe these people are talking about is hot smoking (about 225F for a couple hours), but yes I also had a refrigerator set up about 20 feet away from a firepit in ground. Piped the smoke from the firepit to the bottom of refrigerator and had stack out of top with a damper on it. I'd hang hams and slab bacon in it and usually smoke it for about 4 to 5 days. It was probably only 85 to 90F in it.

Only thing I would be concerned with on burning charcoal on and around galvanized garbage can is releasing zinc vapors. I don't know if they toxic in the food but I know when brazing it the fumes make yah sicker than hell. We call it brass chills!

DrDan
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

My fault I forgot to mention that you must fire off the zinc by heating it up .Usually done by putting a bunch of paper in it and burning.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

i just use a plastic trash can :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot