REMOVING PAINT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

REMOVING PAINT

Post by confederate »

I painted My Deer Hide brown exocet. The paint will not stay on the back of the limbs. It flakes off when I shoot. I would like to remove it and start again. Would acitone be ok to use or would it damage the limbs.
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
A.W

Post by A.W »

A few years ago I used a product to re-surface the wooden floor of an ell at a friends house. This was acitone based. The can stated not to use nylon/plastic brushes because the acitone will melt them.

I wouldn't use it on your bow.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

Not sure on removing but when you repaint try the Krylon fusion for plastic camo paint. Mine is staying on great and I shoot it at 225# pull sometimes.
xeon

Post by xeon »

I guess any chemicals would get into the stuff the limbs were made of. You would need a VERY VERY VERY VERY flexible paint to use, otherwise, you will, over and over, reaply. Maby a spray type paint would be best, but it wouldnt be as detailed. To get the paint off I would think sanding would work, but it all depends on how far the original paint absorbed into the limbs.
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Confederate -

I think there's a real risk that you could damage your bow's limbs using acetone to remove paint. Chemistry labs use it to clean glassware of all sorts of other chemicals, say nothing of its industrial use as a synthetic solvent. Not only that, but the use of acetone on your bow could void your warranty.

If the paint flakes off whenever you fire your bow it sounds like you could remove the remaining paint with gentle rubbing or buffing like Xeon suggests. Or, you could just practice until the paint comes off. :wink:

TSV