Piston Point New Mechanical Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Piston Point New Mechanical Broadhead

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I was browsing the Internet the other day and ran across theis article by Tracy Breen listing the Top 10 Products from ATA 2007 show. At the top of the list is a new mechanical broadhead called the pistonpoint.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.hunting.net/articles/pf_arti ... les_id=537

Here is a link to their web page:

http://www.pistonpoint.com/

I emailed Piston point for information regarding the speed rating, pricing, and availibility of the broadhead. The following is their response:

"We already had people shoot several animals with crossbows at speeds well over 300 fps. As a matter of fact, I had a customer complain that other broadheads were opening up in flight due to all the kinetic energy from his crossbow, so I had him use the Piston Point and they flew perfect for him. He also shot 3 whitetails with the Piston Point this last fall. We have designed them to work excellent with crossbows. Our replaceable blades will be coming out later this year and the MSRP is $41.99."

I look forward to hearing how the broadhead performs in use and testing with Xbows. I don't think that this broadhead is even availible yet and I just thought I would pass the info along.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
TYE

Post by TYE »

This looks like a promising head. :) I'm interested in it also.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Are they a 1 shot broadhead, it says the blades lock in place once deployed.

Rich
TYE

Post by TYE »

Rich wrote:Are they a 1 shot broadhead, it says the blades lock in place once deployed.

Rich
Lot's of mechanical heads do that, there's gotta be a way you can retract the blades.
Horizontal Hunter

They make replacement blades for it. So I expext that they are reusable.

HH
taxman

Post by taxman »

$41.99 for replacement blades? if im shooting a mech bh-i will stick to ROCKET steelheads for around $20. does the hunting market really need a new broadhead?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like the idea of the tip triggering the blades into an open position. I swear, I was thinking about this idea a few weeks ago and wondered why nobody had come out with something like that. Does the head actually lock into the lower position on impact? If it didn't, then the blades could hit something and punch it shut again . . .so it must lock, right?

The only thing I see that would keep me from trying them . . .looks like the band that keeps the blades closed until impact rides higher than the base and therefore would have some wind resistance in that section. At higher speeds, a little uneven wind resistance is a bad thing.

I really like that 1.5 inch cut.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

As I understood it $49.99 was for a pack of broadheads, which is still pricey. The replacement blades are supposed to be available later this year. Which I hope means before hunting season.

If yopu are looking for a big hole The wasp jakhammer opens to 1.75" cut.

I am giving the mechanicals a hard look as I lost a doe this year after a complete pass thru with my Muzzy broadheads. The arrow went thu the bolier room and into a tree on the otherside,completely burying the broadhead. I looked for two days and the only blood I found was on the arrow.

I am looking for a broadhead that makes a big hole expending the energy in the deer not what is on the other side of it. As of now I am leaning toward the Wasp Jakhammer. Board members have had good things to say about it.

HH
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

HH . . .I'm looking more into the accuracy issue, especially in hunting conditions. Next issue will be the blood trail issue. I'll bet every broadhead on the market will kill a whitetail deer when it is placed accurately. There are so many issues pretaining to accuracy that it's hard to place the blame when an animal is not recovered. There are forum members that have killed a ton of deer with the Muzzys and swear by them. I have found that blades are not perfect, bolts are not straight, bolts are not evenly weighted, fletching is wore, serving is worn, sights are off, and a dozen other items that really need to be refined to shoot a bow at over 300 feet per second. Some mechanicals have an advantage in hunting conditions because they have less surface area to catch the wind. However, they may lose the battle on impact. Which is where the blood trail issue begins . . .haven't gotten there yet.

Keep the new items coming . . .sure is getting interesting!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

That design looks like it may be susceptible to opening up early on a crossbow launch. The head jamming rearward when it hits the target is what opens it, so the xbow launching the bolt forward into the head could also open it. I guess we will have to wait and see if someone try's it on an excal. If it works on an excal it will work on anything. The 1.5 inch cut is impressive.

Scott you sound like me, every time I have a good idea some other guy beats me to it, LOL. You have a PM about the broadhead through the mail program, LOL.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

shurite . . .Yeah . . .I've gotten so use to it . . .I think of something great and immediately start searching the web until I find it, even if that takes 10 years. :lol: :lol:

I never thought about the fact that the forward force of the crossbow may indeed open this broadhead. I would suspect, that has been addressed . . .especially since it's made for speed. I'll bet it doesn't open. I'm just wondering how to unlock it to use it again . . .especially at $42 per pack.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks for the posting HH. I'm going to give these things a try if I can find them in Canada.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

just another moving part or parts to fail in the cold or after one shot..I say keep it simple ..there are plenty of or at least a few broadheads that dont require nothing but shooting them into the deer to work.G5s slicks ect...to many moving parts tend to catch up to you at the worst time..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Hoss, I agree with you and thats why I have never tried the mechanicals before but I'm sick of trying to tune the fixed blades.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

HH . . .I'm looking more into the accuracy issue, especially in hunting conditions. Next issue will be the blood trail issue. I'll bet every broadhead on the market will kill a whitetail deer when it is placed accurately. There are so many issues pretaining to accuracy that it's hard to place the blame when an animal is not recovered. There are forum members that have killed a ton of deer with the Muzzys and swear by them. I have found that blades are not perfect, bolts are not straight, bolts are not evenly weighted, fletching is wore, serving is worn, sights are off, and a dozen other items that really need to be refined to shoot a bow at over 300 feet per second. Some mechanicals have an advantage in hunting conditions because they have less surface area to catch the wind. However, they may lose the battle on impact. Which is where the blood trail issue begins . . .haven't gotten there yet.

Keep the new items coming . . .sure is getting interesting
DITTO!
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron