Took the dog for a walk / pass shooting geese ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Took the dog for a walk / pass shooting geese ...

Post by R.J. »

I had misc chores to attend to today .. So I missed the Jack rabbit bus with the boys this morning ... :oops:

I was puttering
in the garage when the geese at the river started flying early to feed ....

I've been wanting to test out some Winchester Steel 3 inch mag 1 oz shot 20 gauge loads I picked up .... Thought I would try my Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Semi and take Sally for a walk along the river at a property that I deer hunt 20mins from my house ...

I quickly threw a white break up on the gloss finish of the Beretta with some white electrical tape .... and headed out ... As I'm driving I realize I forgot my camera in the garage :oops: ...

Make a long story short ... We walked the high river bank ... some guys were shooting farther up river .... had 3 small flocks fly by me .... got a double on the 1st group , a single , then a single and headed back to the truck ....

Sally had a blast ! ... Got home and snapped a quick picture with my pocket Olympus Stylus 500 ...

Somebody asked before about my preferred call type ... I like a flute style goose call .... I have 1 that Ernnie Kister made me from Cocobola wood and a stock Lohman .... here is a picture with misc goose jewelry ...

Got to run ... picking up my daughter from guitar lessons .... still waiting for a field report from the "old boys " on their Jack adventure ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Big John

geese

Post by Big John »

:) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm ready! and I'm not doing that to my gun. :)
Is 8:00 am. early enough? :wink: 8)

Good Quad of Geese there!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hear ya. John .... I wasn't sure what I was going to get into this afternoon ... wanted to test out the Beretta tomorrow , so today was a dry run ! .... the tape comes off easy and no mess ....

That particular model Beretta is a little too bright for a field set up ....

http://products.berettausa.com/frame_ta ... nys%20Gold

But them again if the geese are close enough to see it they should be "on their way down " :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS : We want to be on the road from my place by approx 12:15pm tomorrow ... so plan your drive accordingly ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like the 20 ga was plenty for those geese. How long were the shots?
wabi
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

wabi ... they were passing around 30 to 35 yards ... straight over head ( my favorite shot ) ....
xeon

Post by xeon »

lol nice camo job. I hope it came off easy on a $1700 gun.
Oh and nice geese too, Ive yet to try hunting those.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Good shooting!!

I've got to get a dog so I can go for a "walk".
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

R.J. you have any luck with helping the little beagel out?
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

xeon wrote :
Nice camo job. I hope it came off easy on a $1700 gun.
That link is from the Beretta USA web page ... they are alot more around here , but I got mine from one of the older gents that use to go to Pelee Island with us ... he brokers guns ... he made me a deal I couldn't pass up ! :wink:

It has some real nice wood on it ( it is real wood , not the synthetic on some of the other Beretta field models ) I think that is why it caught my eye ! .... It is the smoothest shooting semi I have ever tried ... It is a real sweet gun , light and easy to manover .... I have taken lots of upland game with it and even a deer this year .... it really fits me well ... the camo job was supose to be quick and easy ... It isn't pretty but it is functional ! :lol: :lol: The geese today were a bonus ... it just goes to show you , 20 gauge is plenty with the right loads !

Here is what it looks like without the tape ( which by the way does come off easily ... I've done it before ) :lol:

chris4570 wrote :
I've got to get a dog so I can go for a "walk".
:lol: :lol: :lol: It was an excuse to get out this afternoon ! Sally was getting stir crazy since I left her in the Kennel for the last field set up ... a walk and pass shooting set up was exactly what she was after ! :lol: :lol:

Fergie 10 wrote :
R.J. you have any luck with helping the little beagel out?
Nope ... I never saw it again ... I called the farm and they said it wasn't hanging around ... so I'm hoping it found it's way home or it's owner found it ?
Decoy Dan

Post by Decoy Dan »

R.J.
Good job on the geese
Nice looking springer.
I was the one that asked about the calls. I'd take a pic of my calls and post them up but the kids are asleep and my gun room is next to theirs. Will post them up later.
What info did you get back on the green tarsus band, is it from Michigan.
Dan.
I'll let my exocet do my talking.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Decoy Dan wrote :
Nice looking springer.
I was the one that asked about the calls. I'd take a pic of my calls and post them up but the kids are asleep and my gun room is next to theirs. Will post them up later.
What info did you get back on the green tarsus band, is it from Michigan.
Yep she is a great little dog ... what she lacks in size she makes up for in determination ! Her eyes are greying over this year and her hearing is going as well .... but she is a loyal hunting companion !

She has no fear of the geese , and sometimes gets hard on them if they give her any guff ! Here are some pictures of her handling geese ... 1st 3 pictures are from 2006 ... the last 2 are from previous years ...

Would be cool to see a picture of your calls .... post em up sometime ..

And yep ... The green band was a Michigan bird ...

I had an oramge neck band from years ago . but it is lost in the garage clutter somewhere .. ?
TPM

Post by TPM »

Nice looking 391! I'm a sucker for nice wood. :D What's the weight of that gun? Looks like it could be a pheasants worst enemy.
That doe must have been from this past fall's shotgun week... I recognize the fog!
I was coming home from work today around 3:30 and while sitting at the intersection of Speedvale and Wellington Rd 32 (on the west side of Guelph) there must have been over 100-125 geese sitting in the field next to me. A large group took off and headed southwest toward Cambridge. I then went up 32 towards Hwy 7 and at 7 there were another 50 or so in a field. If I could just get them to land a few km's west of there tommorrow at the same time I'd be happy. Probably going to take one last stab at it after work.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Stop it! Stop it

I can't take it, I still have 5 months to go before hunting season.

Okay, a couple more just to hold me over...
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

TPM wrote :
Nice looking 391! I'm a sucker for nice wood. What's the weight of that gun? Looks like it could be a pheasants worst enemy.
That doe must have been from this past fall's shotgun week... I recognize the fog!
I was coming home from work today around 3:30 and while sitting at the intersection of Speedvale and Wellington Rd 32 (on the west side of Guelph) there must have been over 100-125 geese sitting in the field next to me. A large group took off and headed southwest toward Cambridge. I then went up 32 towards Hwy 7 and at 7 there were another 50 or so in a field. If I could just get them to land a few km's west of there tommorrow at the same time I'd be happy. Probably going to take one last stab at it after work.
Yep ... the wood was the draw for me ! It is a real well balanced gun ... weighs only 5.9 lbs !

And Yep .... The doe was from day # 3 of the 2006 shotgun hunt . from the " one man push " ! :lol: :lol:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... e+man+push

Great to see lots of birds around still .... but the MNR want the late season to reduce numbers and pressure the geese South ! .... It doesn't look like it is having the " desired effect " :lol:

As long as there is open water and open field food source , they are not going anywhere .... they are even heading back onto the golf courses ! :lol:

Today is our last hunt for geese .... teaming up with Jon ( aka Kendo Kid ) and John ( aka John ) :lol: .... in the hopes that we 3 forum members can " lay the smack down " on the long necks and get some cool pictures for my photo journal !

Allan wrote :
Stop it! Stop it

I can't take it, I still have 5 months to go before hunting season.

Okay, a couple more just to hold me over...
Hang in there partner ! :lol: :lol: .... we have a long way to go till next season .... some areas have rabbits open until end of March ... only fox , coyote , groundhogs , pidgeons , nuisance animal live trapping , scouting , equipment tune-ups etc. to tie us over and keep us " in the field "
taxman

Post by taxman »

just a few quick questions from a "city" boy:

are these resident geese? or are they early arriving or late leaving form the migration? i know in virginia we have a season for resident geese. it runs from sept 1 to sept 25.

how do you cook the birds? ive always wondered about that. cooking them has prevented me from shooting any.

thanks

awaiting patiently in the city