Nocks For Aluminum Crossbow Arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bhdpal

Nocks For Aluminum Crossbow Arrows

Post by bhdpal »

I shoot an Excal/Phoenix Crossbow. I fletch my own arrows. I use 20" 2219 aluminum shafts, 5" LW True-Flight Feathers, straight with slight offset.

I like to shoot the crossbow in practice for bowhunting. I would like to know "What nocks would you recommend for these arrows shot from my crossbow ??"

Joe Palmere
Nottingham, MD
the elf

Post by the elf »

Hey Joe-------the easiest way is to use another insert the same as you use on the broadhead end ------hope this helps.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Joe,it isn't just that simple!
I inherited 2219 bolts when I bought my first crossbow,and had to learn the hard way that putting inserts in as nocks affects the FOC enough that you "may" get a target point to fly one way,and the same weight of broadhead fly completely different.
I started with 100 grain points,and was using fixed blade broadheads at the time.
I went to a mechanical temporarily while I was sorting out the problem.as I prefer a fixed blade.
I switched to light plastic flat locks,and had to increase the broadhead weights to get a similar flight.
I am up to 125 gr,and working up to 145 gr,to see where this takes me.
I am now experimenting with a small brass insert fitted inside the front insert to improve flight.
I found that a piece of 5/16" brass rod with a small amount of sanding fits quite nicely inside both the 2216 and 2219 bolts.(a piece approx 1/2" long adds approx 50 grains.)
With the heavier 2219 bolt,it is difficult to get up to more than 10% FOC,unless you do some of these things.
Makes for a heavier arrow,with more drop,but knowing your bolt speed and using the Varizone scope,you can compensate for the difference.
Hope that helps,
Bob.
Bob Vandrish.