So how does the game warden know?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DrDan

So how does the game warden know?

Post by DrDan »

I asked this same question at the archery shop and they just laughed, but how does the gamewarden know if you are shooting a 225# bow, a 175 or a 300 if there was one? Do they have scales hanging on their belt along with their hogleg, mace, etc?

The archery shop said just put a sticker on the bow that says what you want it to be.

DrDan
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

We have a 200 pound limit here in Pa. also. I would think that some of the sharper ones would know by the name, [Exomax], but I am willing to bet that many of them have no idea. No matter, I have the 175.
Digger

Post by Digger »

It depends DrDan, on Ohio's laws, Are they going to say"Bad boy, don't bring that bow into the forest again!" Or are they going to take your bow, your car, charge you with poaching and fine you.
What's easieron you.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'd bring my wife along. She has trouble cocking anything over 200 lbs.!
Grizz
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I was just curious... Ridiculous laws! I just hunt whitetails on my own land so have landowners tags - could take a bowie knife out if you wanted or throw a spear. I use Phoenix so no problems. Will be using Equinox on bear in Maine for a little more range. It just makes me wonder how the game wardens would ever know. I have a friend who is game warden so I'll ask him. LOL He a drunk so maybe buy him a 12 pack and he certify my bow.

Sick laws We need some more city boys making laws for the hunters.

DrDan
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I just dont know why they even make that law... its still a bow and last time I checked a shotgun, ML, or rifle shoots bullets 10029283 times quicker than a arrow LOL(u know what i mean)
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:?: there are only 2 bows made and mass produced in North America, that are over 200 lbs . 1 is our favorite and one is a copy , I know people who have put exocet 200 stickers on there max , spoke with F&W officers in the field without incident ?? what is the real difference , 200 or 225 0r 340 lbs. Who made these rules and why . I think they were made early on when xbows first started becomeing legal , to appease the anti 's who think 150 lbs. is to much. Back when these weapons had a bad rap. as a poaching weapon??? Also as far as vert's go some folks use a 45 lb bow while others use 85 lb. bows there is a big diff there !! Just my two cents
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

You know guys, there are so many laws on the books anymore that no matter what you did when you got up in the morning - you are obviously in violation of several laws! It's like the new concealed carry permits. My god been carrying when need be all my life - now I got a permit and have so many rules I rarely ever carry anymore. So to put it all in a nutshell, I don't pay much attention to frivolous laws. I just try to avoid causing anyone else discomfort in anyway and go on with life.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I think the only time they would check is if they find you doing something else wrong, they could just keep adding to the list of fines.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:idea: It's not me is it ? but if a STRYKER can get 405 f.p.s. at 175 lbs. and a max or vortex at 225 lbs. gets onlt 350 f.p.s. Were does the restriction on poundage make any sence ??
it's like a 12 gauge 2.75 slug or a 3.00 slug why is one more dangerous than the other ?? I think there are some laws that need to be revised or at least looked at again.
I am not sure but how many states or provinces have a weight restriction,
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Dumb law, but I would abide by it.

The archery shop guys is right - the CO wouldn't know - but I would.

I wouldn't knowingly break a game law, no matter how I think dumb it is.

As hunters we can't pick and choose which laws we are going to abide by and which laws we are going ignore.

We CAN work to get that law chanegd though..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

GREYWOLF wrote::idea: It's not me is it ? but if a STRYKER can get 405 f.p.s. at 175 lbs. and a max or vortex at 225 lbs. gets onlt 350 f.p.s. Were does the restriction on poundage make any sence ??
it's like a 12 gauge 2.75 slug or a 3.00 slug why is one more dangerous than the other ?? I think there are some laws that need to be revised or at least looked at again.
I am not sure but how many states or provinces have a weight restriction,
Replace Vortex with Equinox.... and I 100% agree.

In my opinion there should be no upper limit on crossbows. Lower limits make sense... but why set upper limits? I don't understand how hunting with a Max/Equinox can be illegal, when hunting with ANY type of gun is legal.

Maybe there is something I am missing.... but what makes a crossbow with a draw weight over 200 problematic?
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Good attitude, Woody. I abide by the laws too, dumb or not (and I realize that's subjective opinion ... someone thought they weren't dumb).

I am on the wildlife enforcement officer's side. Sure, some of them are jerks, just as some people in all fields of endeavor are ... but many of them are avid sportsmen who really care about the environment and preserving our natural resources. One of Indiana's Conservation Officers is a friend of mine. He enforces the laws, even the ones he thinks are dumb, because he knows we can't "throw the baby out with the bathwater."

I favor as little legislation as possible, in any case ... but without game laws, there wouldn't be any deer, bear, turkey and waterfowl to hunt in most areas ... and small game would be rare too, in some places.

I think we should support enforcement officers in their work, because I believe their work is in our favor.
Grizz
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Woody Williams wrote:Dumb law, but I would abide by it.

The archery shop guys is right - the CO wouldn't know - but I would.

I wouldn't knowingly break a game law, no matter how I think dumb it is.

As hunters we can't pick and choose which laws we are going to abide by and which laws we are going ignore.

We CAN work to get that law chanegd though..
I agree with you 100% Woody, but this law is so ridiculous and trivial, I'm not so sure that its worth the time in court. Sometimes when you want change, you actually have to get caught, charged, and then challenge it in court.

IMHO its just a waste of time and resources, taking it to legal counsel, when your only using a weapon that is more efficient, than what the current law requires.

Grey Owl
shurite44

Post by shurite44 »

I have been told that Ohio DNR officers do have xbow scales. I have no source for this, I think I read it on a forum.