Daco?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crunch

Daco?

Post by Crunch »

Can anyone tell me about Daco crossbows? Were they any good?

crunch
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

My dad used to own one, it was a Daco with older exocet limbs on it. Not quite sure how it was rigged up but it sure shot well for many many years. Wodden stock and a peep site took many deer when my father was younger. Thats all i know though.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Daco was from Newmarket & they were not a bad bow but had serious problems with the limbs splintering.

The Scorpion was the worst for splintering as it had a longer power stroke & therefore put more stress on the limbs.

The Hornet was the other bow that they produced & it used the exact same limb.

The original Excalibur Relayer also used this limb & kind of resembled a Scorpion.

They have been used to shoot many animals & anybody that has been around the crossbow world for a long time has probably shot/owned one of these bows at one time.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have one, it was given to my by my Brother in Law, he bought it new 20 years ago..
I just finished refurbing the wood stock and tuning it up on the range, it shoots very nicly. My intention was to pass it on to my son but after hearing several warnings about the limbs shattering I have decided to rig it up for carp fishing..
Do you own one, or are you looking to buy one?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I know a guy who has one. The limb cracked on it. I think it is a Hornet and rated a 125 lbs.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I have a Scorpion with unused limbs, but a cracked stock and minus the stirrup. It used to be my buddies and I remember the splintering on a previous set of limbs. I've been thinking of fixing it up and painting it camo. Is the splintering a a safety issue or a cosmetic problem?

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

Pydpiper,

I saw an add for one for sale and was just curious.

crunch
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Well, it shoots great, I had a string maker make a new string for it. He actually made the string a bit thicker than it is supposed to be to slow the whole shebang down and help my limbs live a little longer.

If you are after a bow for your personal use than I would suggest going to something with less of a violent reputation. I see no wear or potential wear on mine, but I did a lot of reading prior to re stringing it, and there are a lot of stories out there..
If it is a good deal then I would pick it up anyways, just for the sake of owning another. There are ways to check the limbs if you do decide to pursue it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

The splintering is a safety issue as that was usually the first sign of the limb about to break :shock:

Yes if my memory serves me correctly the Hornet was 125lb. & the Scorpion was 140 or 150lb.

Ninepointer, I believe there are a few members here that might be interested in getting ahold of that unused limb for their Relayer :wink:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work