GPS <which one to buy>

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jeepboy

GPS <which one to buy>

Post by jeepboy »

Hi Everyone
Hope you don’t mind I logged I with my husbands logon. I want to buy him a GPS and I was hoping for some input. He hunts, boats, fishes, atv’s, and any outside motorized activities. We have a Garmin that is not portable on the boat and I would like to get a handheld for the other activities. I have seen to many options and my head hurts. Do I need to be able to load maps from the computer? What maps should I be looking for? How many megabits do I need? And so on. I’m willing to spend at the top end $500. Taxes in but hope I can find one for around $200 -$300 hundred. And it has to be fairly user friendly.
Thanks
Bonbon
KNIGHTS OF NI

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

I use a Garmin eTrex Vista CX it costs a little over $300 cdn.
It works great and you don't need to worry about memory size, because it has removable microSD cards.
You can put in Topo and road maps.
The only down side is the screen is kind of small.
The ultimate outdoors GPS I have seen is the Garmin GPSMAP 60CX, but that will cost $450+ tax (unless you go to Lebarons this week and save the tax)
Regards Knights of Ni
Swampdog

Post by Swampdog »

I did a lot of research and decided upon the Garmin GPSMAP76CSx, I just ordered it online from GPS Discount.com for $360. I t will do everything and more that your husband will need. If you order another $40 worth of accessories - shipping is free.
"Life is short, hunt hard"
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

checkout canadian tire on sale this week garman etrex summit gps 129.99$ cant beat that
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:D I have the top of the line Garmin GPS 76CSx and it is the greatest! Spend the bucks and your man will be over joyed! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Brampton Mike wrote::D I have the top of the line Garmin GPS 76CSx and it is the greatest! Spend the bucks and your man will be over joyed! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
I fully agree! I own the same unit and I am totally satisfied. With a 2 GB memory card I have the street maps of Europe as well as the topographic maps of Germany available plus space for routes, tracks and waypoints. The thing has a crisp display and features the new SirfIII-chip (makes for a faster start-up and much higher sensitivity, important in wooded areas).

Regards

Rudi
Excalibur Phoenix
Flemish Fast Flight
TruGlo Tru Brite 1.5-5x32mm Illuminated
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Tricks 100 Grain 1 1/8
jeepboy

Post by jeepboy »

Ok
Brampton Mike & Bushwhacker & Swampdog you all have me convinced. Do you own shares in the company? Just kidding. The Garmin GPS 76CSx it is.
Yes, my man is worth the bucks. Thanks for everyones help.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Here's the lowest price I've found so far. If you're thinking of getting the TopoCanada disc as well you can find it chearer elsewhere.

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?c ... cts_id=804
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Do any of you who have the Garmin GPS 76CSx also have the U.S. Topo 24K software? It says the software covers more than the national parks. I need topo data for my area in SE Ohio and hate to buy something that has no value to me.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Duey

Post by Duey »

DrDan I have that GPS and got the TOPO map from Cabelas. You pick the area of the United States and it gives you several states on one MicroSD card for the area you want . I think the cost was around $80.00.

Duey
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Thanks Dewey,

As I understand it Topo USA is 1:100,000 maps. I was looking for 1:24,000 if it is possible since it gives more detail.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
taureau noir

Post by taureau noir »

I would like your opinion : I tryed a Garmin E-trex Legend,but being 60 years old and not keen with electronic, is there a easier model.I just need the travel from point A entering the wood and the travel I'll do till point B which would be my return pont.Does the summit be enough for me ?
Taureau noir
A.W

Post by A.W »

taureau noir

I have that model too. You can use it very basically. Enter your start pont as a "Waypoint" then do your walking.

When you decide to head back to your start point you have a couple of options.

I. you can enter "Trackback" which will take you the rout you came. Or

2. You can select "GOTO" which will take you to a compass mode and you just follow the needle which continually points to your start point/waypoint.

The Summit may be a little trickier for you. I just checked Garmin.com and it states that you have to calibrate the electronic compass every time you change the batteries. If it's not done properly then you could be in for a long walk.

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexSumm ... Manual.pdf

Hope this helps.

Always carry a compass as a backup though.

pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I have the best system for basic navigation that you can get and it's a lot cheaper than any GPS system you can buy on the market today. It's called a Silva compass,a USGS topographic map, and the knowledge to know how to use them. The compass cost about 6 bucks and I can get topo sheets for about a buck. The knowledge to learn how to use them is available for free at your local Public Library. I can take bearings, back bearings, azimuths, I can profile and contour my route before I even set one foot in the forrest. I don't have to rely on batteries, I don't have to wait on satellites. I also learned how to calculate lattitude and longitutde. I learned celestial observation many years ago. Am I a genius? No, of course not, if you've never learned these things, the knowledge is easily attainable at your Public Library. It is also probably available on the internet, but I like libraries. I once took on the task of contouring a small island in one of the Great Lakes, with nothing more than a hand level and a compass. It's fairly easy to learn this stuff, then you can rely on your brain, rather than some gizmo.

Joe
A.W

Post by A.W »

Here's a great advertisement for Sylva. Funny ending. Just click on the pic to watch.