Fresh cod , hallibut , a ground hog ? , deer and turkeys ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Fresh cod , hallibut , a ground hog ? , deer and turkeys ...

Post by R.J. »

Todays adventure started with my dog Sally and I heading North towards Huntsville ...

On the way to Hiway 400 North we stopped in on fellow forum member Wylie ( aka Walkintall ) .... had great steak and egg breakfast , and Wylie stocked me up with some fresh Ling Cod , Rock Cod , and Hallibut ! ( glad I stopped by ! ) :lol: :lol:

Hit the road again and pointed the " big green machine " North towards Bracebridge

Volume traffic .... but moving not too bad .... I keep my eyes peeled for any photo opportunities on the way up .... nothing ... quiet drive until I hit Barrie ...

I see a sleepy ground hog wandering in the field .... I get out and walk into the field .. he looks drunk from his winter slumber ... I get 1 good shot as he wadles to his hole ...

I pass Bracebridge on Hiway 11 and head to another forum members house , Frank D. ( aka BUCKSHOT ) .... I pull down his road and snap a picture ( this looks like my kind of neighborhood ! ) ... :lol: :lol:

I get to Franks place and I'm met by " his crew " .... His lovely wife , his excited 7 year old son ... and 2 nieces that are visiting and the 2 family dogs ! .... everybody is outside enjoying the beautifull weather and the awsome surroundings ( Franks place is surrounded by an awsome evergreen forest ! )

Frank and I head out to do some scouting and wildlife photo's ... I brought my snow shoes and I'm ready for any terrain .... Frank says " I can't gaurantee any photo op's , but I have a lead on some good spots "

Well , that was an understatement ! :lol: :lol: We don't even get 5 minuets from his house when I pull over to look at the " lay of the land " ... I get out to look over a re-forrested area and when I get back into the truck I see 4 young turkeys sitting in a tree ....

Now I'm over my knee boots in the snow trying to get a good picture ... found it hard to focus thru the deep cover , but did get 1 good shot of a young turkey at the base of a tree ...

About another 1 min down the road I get 2 frames of a health doe as she heads into the evergreens ...

We head to a friend of Franks .... his property holds deer yarded up for winter feeding ... ( a common practise in the area ) .

We see some good deer sign and heavy travelled trails ! :lol: :lol:

To make a long story short .... I end up seeing approx 70 deer in the course of the day .... at his buddies property and other areas ... At one point we hiked thru the bush and Frank skirted wide of my position , while Sally and I hunkered down in the bush and snapped shots of the deer .... here are some of the best shots from the day ...

Frank uses my pocket camera and gets a quick shot of me in the bush snapping pictures with MY Pentax K100D , digital SLR ...

A nice broadside ...

Three sets of eyes ...

One sneeky doe ...

Later near the lake I get a shot of 5 in a group ...

We start to head back towards Huntsville ( we have a 6:00 pm dinner date with fellow forum member Wayne Jones aka bj and his wife ) I was hoping to get some good turkey shots ....

We pick the right road and run into a batch of young turkeys , picking in the grass ...

I get out and start walking towards them and snap many frames until they take off into the bush .... the last shot was approx 5 yards ... the sun shines bright on thier feathers ... here are the best 3 shots ...

It was such great weather , Wayne and Brenda roll in on their new 2007 Harleys ! ( with maximum Bling !! ) ( can you say Bling in the same sentence with Harley ! ? ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway .... great day out .... long drive home , but worth the drive ! I took 228 frames today ....

Thanks Frank , for the guided tour ! ... Nice to see you again Wayne and Brenda ! .... was cool driving South on Hiway 11 after super listening to the sweeeeeeet sound of Rolling Thunder !!
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Those are some awesome pictures of the deer and turkeys. It is so nice up north in that area. Makes me want to go back.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
TYE

Post by TYE »

I can't believe the pictures you take R.J. they're so amazing! I wish I saw half the amount of wildlife you do.

I actually made the 5 deer picture into my desktop background.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great pictures . I could use some lessons from you . :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Great pictures! What a difference a few hundred miles makes . . .I'm here in 70 degree weather. We have not seen snow in at least three years . . .other than a few flurries. The snow cover makes a nice background.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Good pics, sounds like a great day.
I spent most of the day yesterday outdoors in short sleeves! In the 70's (F) here in southern Ohio, but there's still a chance of snow this weekend.
wabi
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Awesome pics as usuall RJ
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
TPM

Post by TPM »

Great shots! Glad to see turkeys populating the area. Haven't seen any sign of them on our property up there yet but hopefully someday....
It's pretty awesome to see some of the yarding areas up there. Back in the 80's I was involved in a large scale deer feeding operation in the Huntsville area. It was run buy the Muskoka Hunt Camp Association under the direction of the MNR. It was amazing how many deer you see together during the winter. Wasn't uncommon to see groups of 6 or 7 and I recall once seeing a group of 17! I've got some pictures buried somewhere, have to dig them out someday.
BUCKSHOT

What a day!

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I am by no means a photographer, but I love the idea of capturing memories and special times!
I had a great day out with you R.J and thought I would add a couple of the family cam pic's that I captured throughout the day!

Hey, where ya goin?

Where are ya now?

Who says I can't take pictures? :wink:

Uh, oh, what are you thinkin'.

Look at the Partridge!

What a spledid Tom!

Thanks for an awesome day R.J, can't wait to hook up again!
Last edited by BUCKSHOT on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy the Harvest!
huntman

Post by huntman »

great pics guys, it looks like you had a blast! :D