1 hr before sunset ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

1 hr before sunset ...

Post by R.J. »

Been real busy all day ... My daughter had a seizure at school on Tuesday , so we have been in and out of misc Doctor appointments etc. the last 2 days .... Today was a Cat Scan and othet tests .... She had us worried but she said she feels fine now and says " it felt like I was dreaming " ...

It rained all day and we were settled in at home tonight when the sun peeked out thru the clouds around 5:30 pm ... I said to my wife " I got to get out for an hour before sunset " She said " If you want to go for a walkabout , I'll drop you at your favorute spot , pick up some groceries and pick you up at Sunset " ..... Sounds good to me ... I never pass up a chance to spend time in " my church "

Well I started out crouched down in the fenceline watching the field .... the wind was perfect out of the west , when a small doe fawn came right by me eating the bean stubble .... she had no idea I was there , and even felt safe enough to stop for a bathroom break ! .... got 2 quick frames before she walked into the bush ... Sorry about the blurr , I was manually focusing thru many branches .... Pentax K100D with 50-200mm lens , 800 ISO setting ...

After the doe fawn left , I decided to walk the bean stubble and search for shed antlers ... I got 1/2 way across the field when I spotted 2 deer come out of the bush edge and cross the corner of the field .... the wind was in my favor again and they never even noticed me ... they were watching another deer in the bushline ...

As I moved closer to the deer in the bush line , it came unglued and took off .... you can see it stomp and flag in the 2nd frame ...

I walk to the West with the wind in my face , I look up and can't believe my eyes ... I herd of deer at the next field ! ... My plan now is to try to get to the post at the RH side of the frame without getting spotted ...

As I sneak to the fenceline , I catch movement to my right and stop in time to watch 3 masked bandits waddle into the field to pick at the wet bean stubble ...

They eventually see me and scurry to the bush line ...

I continue to the post .... if you look at the next frame you will see a small part of the herd ( there were 32 deer total spread out ) ... 3 deer in that frame are bedded ( pictures are so so because I'm shooting towards the sun now )

They start to get spooked and I get 2 frames of a racoon walking across the field as the deer watch it's progress ... ( see the racoon in the foreground ? )

Now the deer are on alert ... but I notice they are looking to my right ... I think they are watching the racoon still ...

Oops ... A shed antlered buck walks into the field about 12 yards from the post that I'm trying to hide behind ... and "I'm busted "

All I see now is white tails everywhere .... into the sun the camera doesn't focus quick enough and they are all gone in about 30 seconds ...

I walk for awhile get a shot of 2 geese that cruise over head ... and I meet my wife back at the road ...

We drive around to the next field and I see where the geese landed ...

I get out and walk by the creek and get a shot of a pair of mallards as they criuse into the weeds ...

The sun is getting low ... I get 1 shot of a merganser as he heads for cover ....

One last shot of the sun going down over the farm and we head home ...

It is amazing what you can see in a 1 hr walk before Sunset ! .... I saw 1 turkey , 2 rabbits , and 1 muskrat that I wasn't quick enough to focus on ! ... well you can't get all the shots !
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
huntman

Post by huntman »

WOW rj those pics are amazing!! Seem to get better all the time; not the quality but the wildlife! 32 deer thats a great size herd.

I hope all is well with the little girl! All the best to her and the family, must be difficult, your mind must be all over the place!
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

That is one hell of an hour, cool pics.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Great shots Rick, You saw more deer in an hour than I saw all season.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks guys ....

huntman wrote :
I hope all is well with the little girl!
Yep .... we have been worried the last couple of days .... the Doctor said it takes 4 days for all the test results to come in ... some we are keeping our fingers crossed !

She is 15 years old and although she has had faint spells in the past , this is the first time she has had a full blown kocked out , muscle spasm type siezure ... her teacher was as freaked out as we were ! ...

Yet talking with her today , she says she feels fine and doesn't remember anything about it ... she said she thought she was at home dreaming ?

Thanks for the " Best wishes "

I've been worried sick the last 2 days ... it's nice to get out for a short walk and clear my head ! ... Like I said before " The outdoors is my church " and the fresh air and open spaces are " my medicine " !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Bucktail

Photos

Post by Bucktail »

RJ,

Great photos. I enjoy all your photos.

Keep up the great work.

Bucktail
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Great pictures again..

You have a talent and a great eye.

Thanks for sharing..

Prayers for your youngster..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Once again RJ great pics as always :D

Glad to hear your daughter is feeling better & hope the tests all come back good.

I am with you on the church & feel the same way about as you, the outdoors is the biggest & best one there is :wink: but don't let it be to well known as it might get overcrowded & this one is to hard to build a larger one.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great pics!
Hope it's nothing serious with your daughter!
Looks like spring is getting close there. We've had really nice weather here for the past few days. Actually had short-sleeve temps at mid-day!
wabi
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

WOW!WOW!
R.J your pictures are always so beautiful and very clear
congrat
what time is it? time to go hunting
TPM

Post by TPM »

Very nice pictures! The deer and other wildlife are certainly coming out of the "woodwork" with all the snow melting.
I pray all goes well with your daughter.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D :D WOW !! great photo's thanks for shareing such a great evening .
looks like a great heard for next year,
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Was amazing photos, R.J.! Thanks for taking us along!!!

Will keep your daughter in my thoughts and prayers...
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Well the users on this forum don't have to search hard for screen savers, we just keep using your pics. I seem to get a new one every week! Once again, great pics R.J. and I hope evrything goes well with your daughter.
Why ride when you can walk!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Hope the daughter is OK . As usual great pictures .