Last report this week

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Last report this week

Post by R.J. »

Got to work Sat , Sun .... So tonight I checked with my daughter to see how she was feeling ... she says " it's all good Dad " ... I said " Great , want to go for a hike " ? ... She says " Sorry , made plans to go shopping with Mom " .... I'm thinking " she must be feeling better ! "

Double check with my wife and get the go ahead to take my camera for a walk again ....

I check the usual spots but nothing pans out ....

I got a good idea where the deer and turkeys are , but I don't have permission on that property ...

I drive up to the farm and chat with the landowner .... he sounds reluctant and it seems like he has had some bad experiences with hunters ... he says " My neighbor won't let anybody on the property " ... I said " I won't cross your fenceline , I'd just like an opportunity to take a walk , stretch my legs , fill my lungs with some freash air , and snap a few frames of the wildlife I encounter ... I'll walk back the fencleine behind your shop and do a circle round ... maybe 1 hour tops "

I show him some pictures on the camera from yesterday and other areas ..... and he gives me the OK !

To make a long story , short .... I bump into deer and turkeys together ... they don't see me so I sneak around approx 100 yards of their position .... the wind is right ... I try to get to another fenceline , but they actually intercept my travel path and the " fun starts " !!

I got frames of deer coming at me ... turkeys feeding amounst the deer ... and the lead doe goes from 70 yards out to 10 yards broadside stomping and snorting , trying to figure me out ! ... I finally get busted by some turkeys that walked up beside me ... then the air is full of snorts , whitetails flashing and turkey wings beating the air !

Pictures are down loading now .... stay tuned ..
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

first time i had ever enocuntered a deer in the forest was this past fall and it had sneaked up behind us and starteled us when the doe started snorting and thrashing through the bush it was really exilarating....looking forward to the pics you always have great pictures
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

I walk out behind the farmers workshop heading North ... I bump into 2 geese at the swamp pond that are not happy to see me !

About 200 yards North down the fenceline I cross and walk West till I spot these deer over the ridge ... they had just walked thru the adjacent field fence row into the field I was in ... Pictures are so so because I'm shooting towards the sun .... Pentax K100D , 50-200mm lens with no filter ... ISO 800 ( should have been 400 , but I was a little distracted ! )

I belly over the ridge and bump into turkeys as well .... so far the wind is blowing from the West and nothing has spotted me yet ...

I crawl back using the field elevation as cover and start a slow long 100 yard circle to try to get to another fenceline cover to sneak over the ridge again ... as I head East to start my circle I notice a lone deer in the East field ... I have good background so it doesn't notice my movements ... colors are much better with the sun behind me ... I think it's a buck ...

I head back West ... and belly towards the ridge when I notice some heads coming over the ridge ... I freeze ... and keep snapping pictures ... the wind is in my face ... good !

I lay still and keep snapping .... 1 doe in particlular seems to be fixed on me but can't figure out what I am ... eventually more deer come over the ridge ...

You can see the lead doe is fixed on me , but the others are not sure what the problem is and look to the turkeys for a reaction ... the wind is still perfect !

Eventaully turkeys start over the ridge , with the deer .... the lead doe still stares at me and starts to circle around me ... I lay still and keep snapping ...

2 turkeys feed by a fawn ...

The lead doe works her way around me ... I have to wait each time she truns her head to get the camera turned ... I can hear turkeys clucking to my right but can't turn my head to look .... This is the closest she got to me ....

She walks past and another joins her .... I know there are turkeys beside me but I can't move to see ... This is the last frame I got , you can see the other doe lookig towards the turkeys ... all of a sudden the turkeys freak out and its a crazy fur and feather bug out ! .... I got a few frames of the melay but they are blurry ...

I get up to my knees and catch my breath ! .... I finish my walkabout ... This tree just kinda caught my eye on the way back ... cool colors in th background as the sun goes down ...

I walk back to the farm .... talk with the farmer and show him some of the frames I got .... he said he saw the deer run away over the hill while he was out burning garbage , but wasn't sure exactly where I was ... he chuckled at the amount of mud I had on me ! .... I thanked him again for the privledge of walking his property ... he seem a little more recepitive now .... I think I will be stopping in again sometime .

I missed the sun as it dropped out of the sky but did get 1 frame of the horizon ...

Well that's it for this week .... will be hooking up with Booby J. and Wylie H. next week for some scouting in their area ... hope to get some good turkey shots then ...
Last edited by R.J. on Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

unbelivable pictures....is that around cambridge or more northren?
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

North West of Cambridge ... :wink:
tracer

Post by tracer »

Great pics once again RJ . Thanks a lot .
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

Nice photos R.J., I really enjoy looking at them.

R.J. ya gotta come this way with your camera. About 45 minutes West of Saskatoon there's a game preserve, with whopping big bucks. First we'll stop off to see a buddy of mine, your jaw will drop to the ground, I guarantee. This guy and his son have shot three (3) Boone and Crocket bucks in the last two (2) years. He must have at least 6 or 7 Boonies on his wall, and this is no bulls**t. I'll see if he'll let me take pictures of these wall hangers. The pile of shed horns he has in his living room is also amazing, the guys a franatic. Since you can't hunt in the preserve, only around its perimeter, there's tons of shed horns to be picked up. Joe and his wife and two boys usually find about a half ton load every spring. He's already sold a set to some Americans for $900.00 US., he's presently looking for two other sides of the same set, somewhere in the preserve, also whoppers.

I'd better sign off, I'm starting to excite myself.

I'll give you a shout one day.

Grey Owl
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ....

Greyowl wrote :
I'd better sign off, I'm starting to excite myself.
Man .... I was getting excited to !

I'd love to get back to Sask. for another hunt ! .... I'm going to try to squeeze under the wire this fall but not sure if I can swing the time ?

I just signed on as Mtce GL in the Plastics shop of our new Woostock Plant ... means I finish with the weekend crew in July then on to that project .... will be busy in the fall , but should still be able get most of my vacation time in ( I hope ) .... but fall of 2008 will be so so since it will be our launch ...

Anyway .... will firm up my plans in Sept ...
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well R.J. I had to clean of my puter screen as the pictures were so super I pasted a deer tag on that lead doe :shock:

So nice to see your pictures and the story behind them as you walk with Mother Nature, you sure make one feel he or she is right there with ya!!

Thanks much .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

GaryL wrote :
I pasted a deer tag on that lead doe
:lol: :lol: :lol:
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

R.J.
I was out yesterday scouting and shed hunting. Nothing to report except the deer are pulling hair like crazy. Watched three deer for about 15 minutes. Lots of Geese. Guess Spring is here. I put a racoon up a skinny 15 foot maple. It was raining hard and that racoon looked miserable.

Jon
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Rebel Hog

Post by Rebel Hog »

Wow! Extremely Excellent Pictures! This question might have been asked, but what Camera are you using?
"Just an Ole Sinner Saved By Grace"
www.floridaconservation.org/
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

you've managed to entrall me again RJ
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot