Turkey Field Dressing..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Alaspan

Turkey Field Dressing..

Post by Alaspan »

I took the 'Turkey Hunter's course' almost two years ago, and think this will be the year to land one. Only thing they didn't cover was how to clean them! I've only hunted Whitetail, so I have to clue what to do with the bird should I get lucky.. Is anyone aware of any literature available on the web or could someone give a quick run down on this? I'd hate to spoil it by guessing. Season is coming up quick!!

Thanks guys.

Dave.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

jay73

Post by jay73 »

Hey Dave,

Guttin is nothing - its very quick. Basically, similar to a deer in the way you want to remove all organs from the inside. It's the plucking that will take the most time. I've only done one so far, but that's how it went. :D No body pellets either, thank god, it was only an 11 yard shot.

Good luck,

Jay
150 lb Wolverine
165 lb Exocet
175 lb Phoenix
MADMAX2

Turkey dressing?

Post by MADMAX2 »

I sometimes just gut them then just breast them out,and save the legs for the slow cooker.I also find skinning them saves time plucking!!
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

My first turkey was a jake and my Mom decided that she wanted to pluck it the way they did back in the 1940's at the farm so she had me boil a bunch of water and put it in a 5 gal. bucket then fill another up with cold water.After discarding the head and wings we dunked the torso in the hot water while holding the legs.The real,slow work started next after dunking it in the cold water to cool it down to touch.Plucking,plucking and plucking :( till my Mom said the old days weren't always so good.After that I skin back the breast and fillet it off the breast bone,so much easier. :P
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Skinning is the way to go. Most birds are the same for gutting. Hang it by the legs and cut the thin skin at the bottom of the breast, then pull the breast and ribs down. The cavity opens up and you just pull out the goodies. Easier than a deer for sure.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Skinning and breasting is okay but i fyou want the best tasting turkey you've ever had, pluck it and deep fry it! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Wear gloves and be sure to get out all the lungs.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
BUCKSHOT

Here You Go

Post by BUCKSHOT »

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/dressing3.htm :wink:

Just keep scrolling to the next page and it will cover a lot of information from field dressing to preparation for the taxidermist.
Enjoy!
Enjoy the Harvest!
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

Alaspan -

Here are the only instructions you'll ever need for cleaning a turkey (no disrespect intended to breast fillet or skinning advocates). You will also have the satisfaction of using as much of the bird as possible. However, you will need to clean the bird as soon as practical once you get out of the field.

1. Tie a length of rope or twine around one of the legs and hang the bird upside down from a tree branch. The bird should be at a comfortable height for working on.

2. Pour three or four panfuls of boiling water over the turkey's legs and body to loosen the feathers. (Don't worry about damaging the meat as you'll only be "flash" heating the skin long enough for the feathers to loosen.)

3. Pluck the legs and the body.

4. Lay the bird on a clean surface and remove the neck and head, the legs at the knees and the wings at the shoulders.

5. Gut the bird. Make sure you get all the lung tissue, then rinse out the body cavity at the sink or with a garden hose.

6. If you won't be fixing your turkey immediately, wrap it completely with plastic wrap, then wrap it up tightly inside a clean garbage bag. Put it in your deep freeze.

I have been cleaning turkeys for nearly thirty years and in my opinion this is the best way to preserve a hard-earned bird. Filleting the breasts is admittedly quick and easy, but a lot of meat will go to waste that way. And while skinning eliminates the need to pluck the feathers, it will cause the bird to dry out on the grill or in the oven.

Good luck this Spring!

Savagevervet
Savagevervet

Post by Savagevervet »

...and yes, I know that this method of cleaning a turkey is time-consuming and about as messy as game cleaning gets. Still, I have dressed and prepared wild turkeys in just about every conceivable way and this one is the best I have ever found.

Savagevervet
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've read if you want to "age" a bird for flavor, just hang it outdoors by the tail feathers! When it falls to the ground it's aged!
The author was serious, too! It was in a book on game recipes and he said that method was actually used in some places but he thought the bird might be a little to "high" for his taste.
Haven't tried that one, and don't plan to!!!
I usually just tag the bird and head to the check station. I can have it checked in and home within 30 minutes. Then I take it to my metal bird feeder pole and hang it from one of the extention arms to clean it. I usually skin them, but it limits cooking methods. Another trick for a young bird is to lay it on it's back on the ground and stand on the wings close to the body. Take a firm grip on both legs & pull up hard (but slow). The bird will pull in half & the breast will pop out and is easily detached. It really works!, but I'm not strong enough to breast-out an old one that way. I've done it on a young "jake" and it worked fine. (it's also a great method for birds like ruffed grouse - easily done in the field!)
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

"Turkey field dressing" Just make sure you have your bird checked before "field dressing" it.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"