Some different critters today !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Some different critters today !

Post by R.J. »

Started out the morning in a " driveway confrence " with Wylie H. and Bobby J .

Wylie had some errands to run so Bobby and I headed out to scout for sheds and photo opportunities ...

Beauty day ! .... the weather was hot and it felt like summer !

Some awsome deer sign at Wylie's and Bobby's " honey hole " ... but the turkeys , deer , and shed antlers never made an appearance . :lol:

We drove past another property and I thought I saw some deer on a ridge ... we pulled over to look and it ended up being some turkeys that were grouped together ... we drove into the farm and obtained permission to walk the property for pictures ...

Bobby walked down into a low bush area while I circled around .... A single Doe blasted out and almost ran me down ! ... I had the 500mm lens on so I wasn't able to focus on the deer as it tore off into the bush ... a group of about 15 Turkeys came out the other side and I only got 1 mediocre shot of 2 Toms and 2 Hens before they moved over the hill ( I'm not impressed with the 500mm lens on my digital body ... the clairty of the shot just isn't there ) ...

But .... It was an unusual looking Tom ... I think someone here called it a " smoke phase ? " .... cool looking bird none the less , and it had a beauty beard !

We stopped for a beauty lunch and on the way to Bobby's place I pullled over to get a shot of 2 Geese standing on a muskrat den ( looked cool at the time ) ... The pic's turned out blurry , so I didn't save them ... ( liking the 500mm lens less and less ) ...

I dropped Bobby off and headed home for a change of clothes , new boots and socks .... ( starting fresh puts spring in the step ) .. put the 200mm lens on now ... the clairity is much better with that lens .

I headed West ... I was driving down a country road when I saw this fellow out for a stroll ! Pulled over and got a few frames of him before he dropped into the creek ...

Look at the claws on him ....

A face only a Mother could love ! ....

I eventually walk another farm looking for sheds again .... no luck but some swans did set in and I got a few frames ...

Walked back to the truck and headed home by 7:15pm .... great bit of exercise and another beauty day in the outdoors !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well R.J. super pictures again .... Quote in part R.J. "A face only a Mother could love ! .... " sure enough and must state he/she was smiling for your cam.... although him/her could use a claw cliping fer sure!! :lol:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Big difference in pictures between the 200 amd 500mm lenses. Could it be the 500mm needs to have a tripod mount?
wabi
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Nice pictures, R.J.

That one Tom has got some outstanding colors on him, and yes, a nice long beard too! 8)

That would have to go staright to the taxidermist if I ever shot one like him. 8)
Ontario Trophy Bucks
CH

Post by CH »

Great looking creature today rick no sheds that's strange for you better luck next time cheers...
Digger

Post by Digger »

Again, great photos Rick. 8) :D
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Turkeys, turtles, and swans; OH MY!
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

You could make a nice sauce piquant out of that turtle.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Hey RJ,

Did you see those swans out by Bright?

I had to make a trip to St. Jacobs today & saw a bunch out on Corlett's field by the 401 & Hwy. 2 & then another huge group just outside of Bright.

Unfortunately I rushed out the door & did not grab the camera :oops:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
ch312

Post by ch312 »

mmmm....snappin turtle. :D they might be ugly but they taste great :wink:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've got a big #10 WagnerWare iron skillet named Callie Rose ... just the right size for that snapper ... which is just the right size to invite home to dinner! I've snapped up many a snapper ... used to keep several at a time just so I'd have one handy when turtle sounded good for supper.
Grizz
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

I've had lots of snapper in my time as well ... ! :wink:

The swans were from Drumbo area ...

Yep the 500 mm lens should be " steady rest " tri pod or mono pod ... but I have got clear handheld pictures from it before in good light ! ... it is approx 10 years old now and has been dropped / banged around / in the mud / dirt etc ... sent out for recent cleaning but it's just getting worn out ... I notice the auto focus isn't as quick to react now with the 500 mm on .... I think the calibration is off permanently ! Time for a replacement some day ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
STEELWORKER

Post by STEELWORKER »

turtle pics....spring has sprung boys!!
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

That looked like a good sized Snapper . I do not see many big one in our area anymore . Great pictures .