Need 8ft fence for deer pen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Perch74

Need 8ft fence for deer pen

Post by Perch74 »

Anyone have any idea where l can get 8 ft. fencing at a reasonable price? l want to put up a 200x200 area to raise a few deer. Thanks in advance
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There are two deer farms around me, one uses an 8' fence, the other is two stacked 4' fences. It has been in place for about 10 years and still looks good. May not be what you are after, but it is an option that may be worth exploring.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I was under the assumption, that some deer can jump over a 8 foot fence, if pressured. Maybe its only certain species of Whitetail Deer. I'd still go 9 or 10 foot, just in case. IMHO.

Grey Owl
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Suggest you contact the Allegheny National Forest people in northwestern PA.
They fence off recently logged off areas with continuous 8 foot tall fencing material and leave access for deer hunters to hunt in these areas,as all the deer cannot be eliminated while they put up the fence.
The only time I have ever seen a deer go back into these areas is when windblown trees have dropped on the fence,allowing access.
I have even pushed deer back into these areas,unintentionally,of course.
They usually end up as tough areas to hunt as blackberries tend to overrun the areas.
They are attempting to stop deer from eating the buds and killing off the shoots on desirable logging trees for the future,but IMHO,I believe it is a waste of time and money.
I have seen these areas after they take the fences down ten years later,and my observations would say that they have a jungle of closely growing trees,and I do not see a lot of what I would call prime saplings of desirable trees.
The fences do work effectively,as I have never seen a deer jump an 8 foot fence,even under pressure.
Bob Vandrish.
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

To tell you the truth Bob, I have never seen a deer jump a 8 foot fence either. I'm just going upon what i've read. But I can tell you this my friend, I wouldn't doubt it for one minute that a full grown deer would have no problem at all.

Someone once told me that a full grown Plains Buffalo can easily jump a 4 strand cattle fence, 4 1/2 feet high, or chest high. I said no way, fools tale.

Well I saw it first hand. A little over a year ago, i shot a 1100 lb. Bull buffalo with my Exomag. The two remaining bulls went absolutely nuts later that day, and totally jumped over the fenced in area they were in, and ran 15 miles away until the rancher or farmer caught up with them. Thank God there was snow on the ground to make tracking easier.

Grey Owl
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

ive seen deer jump 10 foot fence.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
chessy

Post by chessy »

i ve seen deer jump 8 ft fence all the time... even standing at bottom of fence..and squat and leap over it... there is deer fencing avalible it is stronger than normal fence.... my buddies used it to fence orchard deer still get in ...
hawg hunter

fence

Post by hawg hunter »

if the deer are pen raised deer to start an 8ft fence may hold them. but if these are wild deer good luck . most deer proof fences are 10ft w/nylon type screen so they cannot see through to the other side. they will not try to jump over if they cannot see where they are about to land. this is what one of the game managers on a deer breeding ranch told me. this is how his pens are fenced. another problem with netting fences hope you do not have wild hogs. if they canget ther nose through the netting the body will follow and there go all your deer.