Lesson learned - Updated

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bushwhacker

Lesson learned - Updated

Post by Bushwhacker »

Last week I finally got my new Phoenix. After waiting for about an hour at chief customs office I held a huge packet in my arms and proudly made my way back home.

Bolting it together was a breeze, I had seen the videos on the website so many times I could have done it blindfolded :-) The only alteration I had to make was a bit of milling at the back of the scope mount. The TruGlo scope is rather wide at the back and wouldn't fit the mount at the first attempt.

And here it is in all it's beauty:

I live alone, so no wife to tell me to "get that darn thing off the table" :-)

The next day I went to the shooting range at my friend's place to sight it in.

Image Image

Here's a look through the TruGlo scope (the crossbow shifted a bit, so it's aimed at the 50m mark instead of the actual range of 20 meters):

Things got really exciting after a while:

And then the catastrophe set in. I cocked the crossbow, put it on it's rest and that moment got a phone call from a friend on my mobile. After a rather lengthy conversation (me babbling happily away about my new toy) I put the phone back in my pocket, aimed, flipped up the safety and... TWACK! HORRIBLE SOUND! I HAD FORGOTTEN TO PUT A BOLT ON THE RAIL!

Result:

By utter stupidity and carelessness I had managed to destroy my crossbow after only 40 or so shots!

I since called myself many names definitely not suited for the younger members of the community.

Here's a question to the more experienced customers of Excalibur: Do you think it would be enough to send the limbs w/o the riser back to Kitchener? Or do the screws that hold the limbs have to be bolted down with a specific torque?

Of course I will have to pay for the new limbs and all related services in this ordeal, it was solely my fault, no one else to blame but stupid me.

Well, the next day at least I had a nice walk with the dog along the Elbe river to get rid of some of the frustration.

Mental note to myself:

Never, but NEVER let anything distract you when fiddling with a weapon!

Sad greetings

Rudi
Last edited by Bushwhacker on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Excalibur Phoenix
Flemish Fast Flight
TruGlo Tru Brite 1.5-5x32mm Illuminated
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Tricks 100 Grain 1 1/8
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

First off, your not the first one to dry fire your bow and you won't be the last so don't feel too bad.

You should be fine with just sending the old limbs back. I have replaced limbs on many Excaliburs without a problem. You may have bent the D.B. bars so I would double check them. When you get your new limb just make sure everything is good and tight. Using lock tight is a good idea also.
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

We have all done silly things. Do not be hard on yourself, Rudi.

If we did not do stupid things we would not be any wiser.

Judging from your photographs, the deer have a lot to fear this Fall.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
csharkie

Re: Lesson learned

Post by csharkie »

Bushwhacker wrote: Here's a question to the more experienced customers of Excalibur: Do you think it would be enough to send the limbs w/o the riser back to Kitchener? Or do the screws that hold the limbs have to be bolted down with a specific torque?

Of course I will have to pay for the new limbs and all related services in this ordeal, it was solely my fault, no one else to blame but stupid me.

Well, the next day at least I had a nice walk with the dog along the Elbe river to get rid of some of the frustration.

(...)

Sad greetings

Rudi
Rudi,

You will only have to send the limbs in.

PM ExcaliburMarketingDude, you may be pleasantly surprised at what he has to say with regards to the cost.
Rich

Post by Rich »

If that is a FFF string you have on the Phoenix, if so, do yourself a favor and order yourself an EXCEL string. Those FFF strings are just not as forgiving as the stock ones.

Rich
bbbwb

Lesson Learned

Post by bbbwb »

Bushwacker:
Don't be hard on yourself--- it can happen to any one. I have done it and I know how you feel. However move on and if you are like me, you will never forget the mishap.
I just set up my new Excal 200 with the lumizone scope. Fired it for the first time this weekend and sure am impressed. Very nice field of view with the scope. Plan to do considerable more shooting just to become familiar with the scope. All being well, I am looking forward to the fall--and--- "if it is brown, it is down"

bbbwb
TPM

Post by TPM »

Bushwacker - Sorry to hear about your mishap. I think you'll be happy with the Excalibur service. Beautiful dog. Looks like an Airedale cross(?????)
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

@TPM yes there's some airedale in it, but the rest I don't know about, got the dog from the animal sanctuary (it was mutual love on first sight).

Some %&§&% had abandoned him and he spent 3 weeks at the sanctuary, he hates being left alone, but he is my joy and pride.

Greetings from Berlin

Rudi
Excalibur Phoenix
Flemish Fast Flight
Gold Tip Laser II's
rutman

Post by rutman »

PM Bill T and he will look after you excalibur is the best company that Canada could have representing us world wide. :D
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Update:

Got a PM from Peter the Marketing Dude, he gave me a list of dealers in Germany that could address my problem.

Had then a phone conversation with Mr. Wetzler from Wolfszeit. He agreed to send me two new limbs upon arrival of the money. I was afraid of replacing just one limb, the apparently undamaged limb might have some internal cracks or structural weakness and I'm not taking any chances there.

He asked for 159,- EURO (translates to 244,75 Canadian Dollars) plus shipping and handling.

Not really rock-bottom, but who am I to complain. Clearly not a warranty case, I messed it up myself.

Made the bank transfer, so if all goes well I will be back in business come Friday or beginning of next week.

As I said in my original post: Lesson learned - the expensive way.

Greetings from Germany

Rudi
Excalibur Phoenix
Flemish Fast Flight
Gold Tip Laser II's
TYE

Post by TYE »

Been there, done that... :oops: