Turkey Hunting - A Field Point and a Nickel Size Washer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Muzzyloader

Turkey Hunting - A Field Point and a Nickel Size Washer.

Post by Muzzyloader »

I was in a local bow shop today. I was getting some parts for my recurve bow. I told the shop owner, an older gentleman, that I was considering going spring turkey with my crossbow. He told me about using a field point with an appropriate fitted washer about the size of a nickel (5 cent piece) fitted between the field point and the arrow insert. He stated that it really works for turkey hunting.

Has anyone ever heard of this ??
Dare to dream...
Perch74

Post by Perch74 »

l was thinking the same thing but putting a muzzy grasshopper instead of the washer. l sure it would work. l think.
M&M

Post by M&M »

sounds reasonable I guess, and a lot cheaper than speacial broadheads might be worth a try. M&M
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Not sure where you guys live or what your regulations are for bowhunting turkeys in your area, but in Ontario you have to use a broadhead with at least two sharp cutting edges of straight unserrated/barbless steel.

If your not from Ontario, you might wanna check the regs for your area.

Page 29, on the right hand side.

http://publicdocs.mnr.gov.on.ca/View.as ... t_ID=20512
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Digger

Post by Digger »

M&M wrote:sounds reasonable I guess, and a lot cheaper than speacial broadheads might be worth a try. M&M
Zwickey Grapplers at about a buck apiece with my Slick Trick BHs is as cheap as I want to go. 8)
Put your own BH on a shaft with a Zwickey, works great.

Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

thanks digger i just bought 4 of them and ive actually got them on the right way :)
Muzzyloader

Post by Muzzyloader »

Its amazing that a thread can get so trashed so soon.

I was not debating where it is legal or what anyone is using for the upcoming spring turkey season. I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of it being used and how good it might have worked.
Dare to dream...
wabi

Post by wabi »

Muzzyloader wrote:Its amazing that a thread can get so trashed so soon.

I was not debating where it is legal or what anyone is using for the upcoming spring turkey season. I just wanted to know if anyone has heard of it being used and how good it might have worked.
Not sure where you get that the thread is being trashed. I can't answer your question on effectiveness, because it's illegal here in Ohio, too. I think the intent of the post warning on the illegality in some areas might have been posted in an attempt to save someone from trying a method that could lead to serious legal problems. If it's illegal in so many areas, that might just be an indication it's not a real effective method of humanely killing turkeys! :wink:
wabi
Muzzyloader

Post by Muzzyloader »

Wabi,

It does not appear to be legal next store in PA either. That does not mean that at one time that it wasn't legal. The gentlemen I talked to has probably about 50 year bowhunting experience.

This forum aleast covers 49 US states and 12 Canadian providences. Whats legal has to be the responsibility of the individual hunter.

Whats legal, ethical, humane, or fair chase should always be known before anyone heads out to go hunting ...
Dare to dream...
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

Muzzy I don't see how the thread was trashed I for one am new to xbow hunting and the info ive gained from you guys has been invaluable.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd say it would work with a good hit to the head or neck. I've killed a groundhog with a steel blunt to the head (shot from a 45# recurve), but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to ethically hunt them. It would really be up to the arrow's energy to make it a quick kill, as it would depend entirely on shock. In essence it's just another form of blunt tip. From a crossbow the energy should be there at reasonable range, but with a bad hit it could easily leave a bird that would escape to die a slow death. If I were going to try it, I'd go for a head or neck shot only!!!!! Either a dead bird or a miss would be the most likely result. :wink:
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Not legal in Indiana and I wouldn't do it even if it was.

Use a razor sharp broadhead and get the job done right.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

I've heard of it but never had the opportunity to test it out for accuracy.
It would just be a curiousity thing for me as I live in Ontario too. How consistent would a washer be?
Might be an interesting exercise. Might be hard on bolts too.

Good Luck,

crunch
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Muzzyloader wrote:Its amazing that a thread can get so trashed so soon.

???... Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed by the sounds of it...

Easy Muzzyloader, Why dig on people when all they're doing is trying to do is help.

Have a good day...
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Muzzyloader ...

They're right, you know. No one was doing any trashing. All responses were plainly intended to be helpful suggestions.

When you post a question, those reading will respond in many different ways ... some to the information you provide, some to points of consideration you never mention, and some to both. Some replies will be replies to a reply, and won't have anything to do with your original post. The thread might take an entirely different direction sometimes.

In all of this, the oil that lubricates the communication process is goodwill ... and a large part of goodwill is granting the benefit of the doubt. For instance, when posters responded that you might want to check the legality of using such an arrangement in your area, you had a choice: to assume they were looking out for your welfare in the hunting experience, or to assume that they were "trashing" your post. Same thing applies to the responses mentioning a rig personally preferred by another poster ... it was your choice: to assume they had found something that worked great for them and wanted you to know about it and have that opportunity yourself, or to assume that they were "trashing" your post.

It wasn't anything people posted in reply to your post that changed the tone of this thread; it was your assumptions that changed it ... from a friendly interchange of dialogue to an accusation and a flurry of protests in denial of "trashing."

This is an unusually friendly and helpful forum. It's the best I've ever found on the net. Our interchanges are generally fluid in nature, and our responses flexible and fun. "Trashers" are not tolerated, and they are very seldom seen ... and none have been involved in this thread.

Good forums require a lot of give and take. People are individuals with varied knowledge and experience and perceptions, and all of that is reflected in posts and responses. It isn't possible in normal forum interchanges to post a question and receive only the sort of replies you want to read. In order to do that, you'd have to include a list of the replies you don't want to see, as in:

I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY REPLIES ABOUT WHETHER THIS IS LEGAL OR WHAT ANYBODY IS USING THIS UPCOMING TURKEY SEASON. ONLY DIRECT AND LIMITED ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION ARE ACCEPTABLE!

Obviously, that wouldn't look good. Suggesting that poster's responses are "trashing" your thread just because they weren't direct answers to your question doesn't either.

I'm sure you're a good guy who wants to interact on this forum with other good guys who enjoy the same activities and share the same interests, and that, my friend, is exactly what you were doing.

Stick around. Keep posting. Roll with the flow. Enjoy the Excalibur experience, like the rest of us ... and remember:

Goodwill + Benefit of the Doubt + Give-and-Take = Good Forums

And, by the way:

Yes, I've heard of it. :wink:
Grizz