OT - New Truck -> Help..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bow Life

OT - New Truck -> Help..

Post by Bow Life »

Im thinking of getting a new truck and had some questions. You guys and gals seem to be the most reliable people I know so heres the question:

Im thinking of selling my truck and purchasing a Ford F-150, between 1997 and 2000 with a shortbox, and the V6. I understand that the only V6 offered these years was the 4.2L, and im looking to purchase something with arround 150 000 - 175 000 kms. Is there anything I should look out for with these trucks?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
dsr

Post by dsr »

I have a '95 Ford F150 V8 4x4 short box with a cap.I really like the truck except for the short box. It is just too short to bring home 8ft building supplies and keep them out of the weather. I think it would be too short to haul my Arctic Cat 650 atv but no matter I have a trailer for that. If the truck is really to be a car and not do any serious hauling the short box is really neat otherwise I would pass on it and go for the standard 8' box.
If you are still alive your mission here on Earth must not be completed.

Old rock hounds never die.They just slowly petrify.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

the only thing that would be going in the back of the truck would be my new Honda trx 450r when i want to take it up north riding. Other then that not much going in, thats why i was looking for the short box.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

F150's are known for front end problems. Ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. If you find a truck you like, might be a good idea to have a mechanic take a quick look at the front end. On a good note I have a 2002 f150 4x4 with extended cab and short box. I bought it new in 2002 and have 92,000 km (55,000 miles) on it now. It has been a great vehicle. Very reliable and other than the routine items I have not had any major probelms wit it.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I have a 04 F150. I bought it new and it has been great so far. I would have prefered to save some money by buying used but the earlier models (called heritage) were supposed to be bad in crash tests. So I decided to get the new version.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Mike, I have a 1998 Ford F-150 with the 4.2ltr v-6 with 153,000k on it and love it. It has an 8 foot bed, extended cab ect. The only problem that I've had with it was the front brakes. Had to replace the rotors and pads last year. I also have a 1996 Dodge 1500 4X4 with a 318 V8. This is my hunting truck. but I'm thinking of selling both and getting a Ford 4 door 4X4. Too much insurance and taxes on 2 trucks. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

bowlife, i have a 1998 f150 now has 137,000 miles it is a super cab 4.6 v8 it has been a perfect truck, a v6 will give you better gas milage i hear the ford 4.2 v6 will do 23-24 mpg on the high way my 4.6 v8 will do 21 on a good day,,,,,it will be easier to find a v8 supercab with that many miles,,,,,1# thing to check with a truck with that many miles, if it has been pulling a big traler then the tranny might have some problems,but most people that pull large tralers have v8.
have a good day,,,,hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Thanks for the help guys. I was talked to a good friend who has owned many fords over the years and he said that the main problem with the 4.2 was that over time rad coolent would leak back into the cylender and cause a rod to be bent. After hearing that i talked to the local mechanic and he verified this, so i made a deal with him that any truck i was interested in he would take a look at for me and make sure i wasnt getting taken.

That being said im now in the stage of looking and making sure i dont jump into something thats gunna cost me too much.

Thanks for all your advice. Have a good one.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
100 Wasp BroadHeads

joeyd50

Post by joeyd50 »

Don't know much about Fords, I'm driving a 1994 Nissan 4X4 pick up with 331000 miles on it and it's still going strong, if this thing ever dies you know what I'm going to replace it with, another one :lol:
Good Luck
Joe
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I had an '89 F150 with a straight-six 300 c.i. and a manual transmission that finally gave up the ghost at 327,000 hard miles ... and I had used it to haul firewood with for five years after 200,000 miles!

Those old inline sixes were tough. I think they quit making them because they were too-trouble free. I have another '84 F150 that I use as a farm truck now ... still going strong.

Can't complain about that.

Don't know anything about the newer ones.
Grizz