Some critters from today ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Some critters from today ...

Post by R.J. »

Couldn't sit still with this nice weather ... headed out for a hike along the river ...

On the way , I slowed to watch a farmer plowing the field ...

At first I thought his dog was walking in the field while he was plowing ... got the binoc's out at it turned out to be a coyote ! ... I pulled over and walked into the field to get a picture ... the coyote shyed away , but I did get 1 good frame ... Pentax K100D with Sigma 75-300mm lens .

I waved the tractor down as he made a pass by me ... the young guy driving it said the coyote had been following close to the tractor and he got a few pictures with his cell phone camera .... the coyote was moving away now so I asked him if I could ride along to try to get a close up ( many times animals are not affraid of farm vehicles ) ... sure enough as we plowed a row and turned towards the coyote it stopped to have a look ... got some great close ups , then the cotote moved into the next field and headed towards the bush ...

I got dropped back at my truck on the next plowed pass ... I took down the young guys e-mail address and told him I would send him the pictures .... turns out his dad runs a local butcher shop ! ( guess I know where I will be taking some deer this season ! )

Headed out to hike along the Nith river ... I walked awhile then sat at the base of a tree for a rest ... about 10 mins later I hear what I think is a turkey clucking to my left ... I look slowly around the tree and see this young bird pecking along the river flats ... got 1 quick frame and let him walk behind the cover ... but when I tried to relocate for another picture , he saw me a busted out !

Did a long circle back to the truck ... drove to another spot to look for turkeys , but no luck ... As I walked the small creek , something caught my eye .... it was a small painted turtle , sitting in the stream , trying to catch water spiders as they swam by .... I'm thinking " this could be a cool photo op ! " So I stood on a large rock and watched him ... ( see the water spider to the right side of the frame ? in the middle of the round ripples )

There were lots of water spiders ...

I wait for approx 25 mins , but no action except for the occational head movement ! :lol: :lol:

I get 1 frame of the new foliage coming up along the bank ....

Then 1 frame as the trutle moves on down the stream ....

Light is getting poor now and I've had my share of strange looks from passers by slowing to see the camo clad guy with the canera perched on a rock peering into the stream for the last 1/2 hour ! ... So I head home to see what the pictures look like ... some more cool shots for the collection !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
saxman

Post by saxman »

Great pictures R.J.
I looked at a new 8 MP cannon tonight and thought of you.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Saxman wrote ...
I looked at a new 8 MP cannon tonight and thought of you.
Canon makes some beauty cameras !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
xeon

Post by xeon »

Haha I can bet you that you didnt realize you were taking a close up on a skunk cabbage. They do look nice though.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Great pics (as we've come to expect :wink: )!
Guess the yote was looking for a free meal behind the tractor.
wabi
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Those are some nice pictures RJ.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
bbbwb

Critters from today

Post by bbbwb »

RJ
Wonderful pictures as usual. What a great opportunity we have to stop and observe the life around us. In these situations and similar ones during hunting, I often pause in wonderment as to what level of thinking power wildlife have and what are they thinking when they stop, stare at myself located in their midst.
Keep up the great snaps --- much appreciated.

bbbwb
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Always some realy nice pitchers!
diesel

Post by diesel »

Thanks for sharing the great picture.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Excellent work.
the BIG bee

Post by the BIG bee »

Smart coyote lettin the farmer scare up his meal Awesome pics!!! :P
Robert H Johnson
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Great pics RJ!! You sure do see a lot of critters!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

i was at the nith this saturday and while we were just setting up under a bridge by 401 tractor tralier slammed into center median and caught on fire. fire dept. came and put it oout but all the deseil fuel leaked right into where we were fishing for carp and pretty much ruined the day and eventully the enivroment spill guys showed up and started to clean it up
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

really nice pictures, these new cameras are really good, by the way just so you know,,the farmer was disking. thanks for sharing
h.j.
they say he is still up there.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ! ...

Yep : Nature is something ! ... like I mentioned before " the outdoors is my church " .... it's where I go to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the day to day grind .... take a deep breath and enjoy what unfolds in front of you ... The price of some gas and some leg work and you are into the next adventure !

Yep : Not unusual to see a coyote working a fresh plowed or disc field for treasures turned up ( mice , moles , frogs , toads , snakes , roots etc ! )

Yep : The farmer was running disc for sure ... I used plowing as a generic term ...

Wow : Diesel spill at the Nith ! ... that is bad news for sure ! ... I saw the workers there Monday a.m. and wondered what was going on ! .... hope it doesn't screw up that little piece of sancuary !

Good luck to all that enter the Ontario woods tomorrow for " The Bearded Birds " !