Question about strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Camper

Question about strings

Post by Camper »

I just picked up the new vortex and I am wondering if the Fast flight flemish string is the best to use on it. I have owned an Exomag since 2001 and have only used a FFF string.

The vortex came with the excel string, and I am wondering if my best performance will be the FFF string or if I should keep the excel string on?

Thanks
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Beaver

Post by Beaver »

You will get about 15-18 fps more velocity with the FFF string. The new Excel strings are actually a B-50 dacron string. I, personally, use a B-50 Flemish string on my little Vixen. It cost me about 12 fps on that bow but I consider the trade off well worth the speed loss. When you have a 440 grain arrow at 265 fps and a 460 arrow at just over 260 fps, it becomes a no concern to me as I am only after whitetails and feral hogs.

Actually, I have my bow going even a little slower due to limb saveres and crossbow string leeches, but I have no detectable viberation and it is very quiet for a crossbow. If I do my job, it will keep in 4 inches at 40 yards, easily, and still have 57 ft lbs of energy.
I never was as good as I used to be.