Got lucky today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Got lucky today

Post by Shakky »

This is my third year hunting turkey and finally I got one this morning. Here is the story.

I set up my outhouse blind in a hedge row facing east. North of me is a stand of trees and South of me is a stand of trees. I'm facing an open field in between the two. I set up a lone feeding hen decoy out to my right about 25 yards. I had gobblers in both stands of trees this morning going like mad. I was calling back every 15min or so. At around 6:30 I saw what I thought was a lone hen coming out of the stand of trees to the north of me. It was about 150 yards out and not in a hurry. I called and it gobbled back and so did two additional jakes just behind it. So I have three jakes heading south east on an angle slightly away from me. Heading up a hill not facing me so I put my box call down and bring my shotgun into position. The only call I can do with one hand is the purr and it wasn't very loud but they responding and turned around and saw the hen decoy. They start heading down the hill and get with in 20 yards of me but I can't shoot as they are too close together. I have to let them go by. So now they are all around the decoy and finally one gets tired of it so he heads off and I let him have it. Clean kill at 33 yards with my 20 gauge using Hevi-Shot. The other two just stood there and wouldn't leave the decoy. So I got a jake about 15 pounds but I learned alot today. I have been calling too much and too loud. I was very surprised the jakes could hear that purr but they did. Had I been able to call louder I would have but because I was using one hand I couldn't so yes it was dumb luck. I'll take it though.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

congrats
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Big John

turkey

Post by Big John »

Congratulations Shakky! :) 8)
Jake or Tom, as long as you got one, You win!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!
They have very good hearing & eyesight. I'm just glad they don't have a nose like a deer or I never would be able to outsmart one! :lol:
I took a jake Monday morning on our opener. Figured he's be good eating and I have another tag if I want to trophy hunt now, but if I get anything with a beard in range I'll probably fill the second tag right then. :roll:
wabi
diesel

Post by diesel »

Very nice story. Congrats to you
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats my friend
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's on your first bird ... cool story ... good shooting !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Way to go!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats Shawn!!! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Wat to go, good job. No picture???
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
bbbwb

Got Lucky Today

Post by bbbwb »

Shakky
Congratulations!
You'll be hooked for sure now.

bbbwb
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks guys.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats Shaky, great picture and story.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

congrats... once you get 1 under the belt its easy going from there. It doesnt matter if its a jake or not when its your first.. just like a spike buck or a monstor 12pt(they all feel the same at that time).

turkeys can hear a LONG ways as i found out over the years. If he doesnt answer your calls, it doesnt mean they dont hear you. The only time I call loud is when he has hens and im trying to coax them over to fight or make him gobble. But if he hears you, then soft calling does the trick. Turkeys are just like people talking.. same expressions in their voice anyway;) If you are a guy and this woman wont shutup you will probably walk away LOL.. unless you are desperate at the time:-P

just take those thoughts and put into your calling next time:)
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

congrats on a successful hunt!