Sometimes it all comes together.........TWICE............

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Sometimes it all comes together.........TWICE............

Post by ecoaster »

What a morning! Chris and I teamed up on some birds I had located over the last few days, but I could not get them within range. They were henned up pretty good.

We were in the bush well before light and got setup in and ambush spot where I had seen the birds travelling. At first light the gobbling began. They flew down and began strutting out of range. We gave a few soft calls and got good responses from the gobblers, but the real hens were not about to share, and led the gobblers away from us :x .

We went for a walk to try to cut them off, with no luck. We came back to the orginal spot around 9am and I could see a lone hen on a far off hill. I thought this spot would be a good afternoon setup to try to get them when they were coming back to the roost area, so I picked out a thick tree right in the roost area and began to trim some shooting lanes. Chris went off for a bit of a walk.

He came sneaking back about 15minutes later saying there were at least 4 turkeys in behind us at about 60yards. They were in the wide open and he wasen't sure if they saw him or not. We thought we would give them a try. My gun was lying on the ground about 20yards from where I was so Chris gave me his and he snuck over to grab mine and quickly find a spot.

We waited about 10minutes and then gave some soft calls. We got a response! We started yelping back and forth and the whole time they were gobbling. We went silent for a bit and then made some purrs and clucks. I caught movement coming in on my left. A gobbler at crusing speed. I couldn't believe my eyes (again). He got to within 10 yards and I clucked a few times with my voice, he skidded to a stop and I bowled him over.

That's when I saw more movement behind him about 20 yards. Three jakes came running in and began circling the dying tom. I was between the birds and Chris so I had to hold them long enough so he could get a clear shot. Again with no call at my disposal, I began clucking and yelping the best I could with my voice. They were gobbling and running back and forth. Finally one cleared to the right of me a Chris let loose.

The bird flew off and then started running and staggering. We followed it into the bush for 150 yards (trailing the feathers), but did not recover it. Looked for over an hour with no luck. He blames it on my gun :lol: . It was about a 35yard shot but there was sparse brush in the way. Lots of pellet holes in the brush.

A very exciting hunt. Just too bad we didn't get the double. If I had seen the jakes coming I would have let the tom pass for Chris to get a crack at, then I had a good position on the jakes. It all happened so fast, there wasen't much time to think about it.

The hunter, the bird, and the borrowed gun :lol: .......

20lbs
3/4 inch spurs
10 inch beard

All tagged out now. I will be on camera and calling duty the next time we go out. Still can't believe the season is over in 4 days. Must be luck. I purchased my first tag on Friday the 13th and the guy was telling me that it was not a good idea. I disagree :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

:lol: :lol: Go buy a lottery ticket ! .... Beauty Tom ! ... 2 great hunts ! ... cool story and pic's ! ... thanks for sharing ! .... I'm still waiting for a mature Tom to give me an opportunity ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice bird!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

Season is over in 4 days? I thought it ended May 31st?

Great two hunts, and great birds. My father, a friend and i have also been lucky, two days out and two great hunts so far.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats, nice bird great story.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Bow life,

My season ended in 4 days :wink: . Shot my two birds in 4 days. No more tags.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

ohhhh, you had me worried there, out of the three of us in my group two of us still have a tag each, and i was worried that i only had 4 days to try and get a hunt on film. Sorry about the miss understanding. :lol:

Good luck on camera duty :D
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice one...oops, I mean two.
Great story to go with that nice bird.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
tracer

Post by tracer »

Great story ecoaster, congrat's on tommy2, right on!
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

awesome, congrats
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
saxman

Post by saxman »

Way to go, a twofer. :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Congrats on the tom! He's a nice looking bird. You gotta love it when through all the doubt as to whether or not the turkeys had seen me and taken off, and the fact that we were both moments away from saying "oh well" when they gobbled. That was exciting for sure.

Watching those jakes dance around in front of you was quite entertaining.

I think the jake bobbed when I weaved allowing him to escape. Or maybe it was your gun. It just doesn't like my unfamiliar hands all over it. :lol:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

Way to go guy's, congrats. Nice tom.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Big John

twice

Post by Big John »

You done real good ecoaster! :) 8)
I'm glad you pulled it off. However, ther is still another month left you know? Maybe you can come and call for me? :idea: :)
Congratulations!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
tkstae

Post by tkstae »

Great looking Bird. Sounds like your having a great Spring.