people that assume they can hunt land

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

people that assume they can hunt land

Post by crazyfarmer »

One thing I hate about owning any land is friends assuming they can hunt without asking. I even have posted signs around the land also. But a few days ago a friend of mine had his trucked parked almost right beside the posted sign and he was afternoon turkey hunting there. Its just a 15 acre block of timber were 2 jakes happen to roam that woods now. It really erked me that someone cant take the time to ask for permission. The bad thing is, they need written permission to even hunt there since I have signs up. So if the game warden had been called(which I wouldnt go to that extreme) he would have been written up for hunting posted land. Needless to say im gonna let him know my thoughts when I see him next time. I always ask before I hunt somewhere, even if you know the landowner will say yes anyway. I know he has seen the 2 jakes walking around the field edge there so he probably figured i'd slip in really fast and try to get one. Needless to say, its not gonna happen again from him anyway :roll:

all it takes is 1 stupid fast made choice to mess things up for everyone that trys to hunt decent
kitty kat

hunting

Post by kitty kat »

It would be so much easier to ask permission. Usually when we go hunting we get written permission and usually the land owner gives us a few pointers as to when and where the they have been last seen. It is also good that he knows you are in the bush. If anything happens he knows who and where you are, how many are there, and also if you are confronted by the game wardens you can quickly prove that you are legal and then there is no more problems. Its just fair, the poor land owner has fed these birds or animals all year and it should be his choice as to whom he lets harvest them. As a home owner, you would't want anyone carrying a gun through your back yard without permission,most landowners deserve the same respect. Be respectful of each other, hunters need land owners, land owners need hunters. :)
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
xeon

Post by xeon »

Give your friend a break. Maby he thought you were cool enough together that you wouldnt care. If you do talk to him make sure you explain that its for his own safety and make up some stuff how you dont want any lawsuites, just to let him know hes welcome, but should ask.

Dont take what he did to heart. He wasnt disrespecting your property.
the elf

Post by the elf »

xeon--------the friend should have asked the owner any way-----just as a courtesy-----and to find out about any possible changes to arrangement.I have a parcel of land with a camp on it------and as far as I am concerned------if they are not there with me-----or I don`t know they are there ---THEY ARE TRESSPASSING. :!: :!: :!:
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I think you should ALWAYS ask. What if there was a gobbler in the area and crazyfarmer had snuck in and set up on him ? I think it's a courtesy issue as well as a safety issue. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Boo

Post by Boo »

I wonder what he would say if you borrowed his truck without his prior knowledge??????
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have a friend of mine that told me I could hunt his small tract of land. He told me to go out anytime I wanted and hunt. However, every time I head out there, I call him and let him know. I think he needs to know when I'm there.

You should just ask your friend about his truck being there and explain to him that if he wants to hunt, then he needs to let you know when he is there. It really is a safety issue.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nothing should be assumed when it comes to hunting on someone else's land. It's never OK to just do what you want to do without asking first. Private land is just that ... and the right to private control should be respected, as the law specifies.

If a landowner has plainly told you this or that concering hunting on his acreage, then abide thereby ... but don't ever presume on either accquaintance or friendship when it comes to using another's property.

I don't know how many trespassing "hunters" I've told over the years:

"You're the reason landowners turn against hunters and hunting."

And so they are. I can tell my own tales of abuse and presumption.
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

xeon, I hear what you are saying.. im not gonna blow the heck outta him, but Im gonna let him know I'm not to happy about it. Like others said, its a safety thing also. What if me or my dad had planned to go there or someone else we told was gonna hunt that area. we or they pull up and someone's there that didnt even ask. Or say I came in the back way to the woods not even knowing he was in there. It wouldnt be pretty. Worse case the game warden came by and decided to do a random check on him and finds out he doesnt have writen permisson. I know we all make mistakes so ill cut him some slack but next time he should atleast ask. Espically if you are buds and chat pretty often. It doesnt take 5seconds to ask, "hey can I try to get those birds on your land this week?" I woulda said sure, help yourself... but not asking just erks me :?

the same goes for some others hunters around here.. we rent alot of land to farm and just this week 2 landowners had us put posted signs up cause they were sick of lazy hunters driving across their land and not asking to hunt since they asked 10 years ago and assume its still ok to hunt that land.

just some advice to others out there that hunt others land.. take a few minutes to sit and talk with the landowners. Even if they say no, its still worth the trouble to ask. More than likely they will respect you more for asking and if you ask again next year they will allow you to hunt.

anyway, just wanted to ramble about some of my troubles LOL... everything is better now 8) :lol: