arrows-aluminum or carbon fiber?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ratherbefishin

arrows-aluminum or carbon fiber?

Post by ratherbefishin »

Being new to this-what should I be buying in arrows?Aluminum or carbon fiber?What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?Do they vary much in quality?Where is the best source?What sort of price range?I have a new Exomax and am not going to be competition shooting-just backyard target shooting and if I'm good enough-maybe deer hunting
TYE

Post by TYE »

I prefer carbon just because they stay straight.
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

Carbon , is my choice , Alum. works great but not as forgiving , and much more weight per inch . With the MAX either will work fine , your choice :D
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Aluminum is more precise, carbon is more durable. On my opinion, on short distances up to 40 yards, it is more important the durability than the precision.

regards

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
wabi

Post by wabi »

After hunting one season with carbons I went back to aluminums. Carbons can break unexpectedly (I even had one break while in my quiver when it brushed against heavy foilage as I passed) and broken carbons can ruin meat.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I like the carbons better because I do a lot of target shooting. I do not have to be as careful pulling the carbon shafts out of The Block because, as Tye said, they will flex back to a straight position. I've never had a carbon break, except when I shot it with another carbon arrow. :cry:

Welcome to a whole new world, sort of.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i used carbon until one hit a bone & shattered ,small pieces of carbon scattered through the deer meat,,,,it would be like eating needles, never shot another carbon,went back to alum & there i will stay.

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi and hatchet jack . . .just courious, what brand of carbon bolts were you using? I've shot some carbons into hard surfaces and didn't get a break or a crack. I'm sure they can and will break, just wondering if they were the thicker bolts or the thinner ones. I've shot the Gold Tip II's into trees and my board fence without issue. I have also had two aluminum arrows break off in deer . . .however, I didn't find fragments(One was a shot buried the upper neck bone, so I didn't look). Anyway, were these new bolts? Seems odd that a carbon bolt would break by being brushed against heavy foilage . I don't want to buy that brand either. Please advise.

Thanks.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
A.W

Post by A.W »

I prefer aluminium over carbon. It's true that carbon is more forgiving but I don't want to take a chance of swallowing a shard of carbon.

A while ago somebody posted that they almost served some meat to, I think their daughter, which had carbon in it.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

so-would it be fair to say practice with carbons and hunt with aluminum?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

ratherbefishing . . .That seems like a logical choice. However, I think most everyone would agree that picking one and sticking with it is a better choice. Mainly because it would be hard to have the two sets match in weight. Therefore, getting the scope sighted in might be too much hassle when switching from hunting to target practice. If that isn't a issue for you, then yes. I don't think there is a bad choice, just a personal preference. The broken carbons are probably not common . . .the carbon shafts are strong. Excalibur would not put their name on them if they were a common hazard. I've used both and liked them both for different reasons. I stuck with the carbons because I know when I'm hunting and I shoot an aluminum arrow, I have to replace it. Because once it penetrated the deer, it always got bent. Not the case with the carbons.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
A.W

Post by A.W »

If you did switch from carbon to aluminium you might be able to work out the difference by adjusting your speed ring. I've never tried it but it may work...........Just a thought.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i dont remember what brand they were, but that has been several years ago, my son & i both used carbon back then, that was back before i went to a crossbow, not long ago there was a picture of a guy who shot or got shot in the foot or hand with carbon, it splintersd & his hand was full of carbon splinters , i think it was right here, seems it was about a year ago, i am sure it was on this forum

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
TYE

Post by TYE »

hatchet jack wrote:i dont remember what brand they were, but that has been several years ago, my son & i both used carbon back then, that was back before i went to a crossbow, not long ago there was a picture of a guy who shot or got shot in the foot or hand with carbon, it splintersd & his hand was full of carbon splinters , i think it was right here, seems it was about a year ago, i am sure it was on this forum

h.j.

Big John

bolts

Post by Big John »

I use both aluminium and carbon, like them both for different reasons.
Since the weight of both can be modified up or down, it's more a matter of preference to the user. I tend to use the aluminium bolts on large game like Moose or Bear and keep the weight on the heavier side. And Carbons on just about everything else. I have never had a problem with splinter's or breakage. Not to say it can't happen, just never has, and I've shot stumps, boards, and Large Game in different positions and angles, still no problems yet.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]