VORTEX TRIGGER PULL ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I have the same problem with my Equinox. It creaps them gets tight then more travel them fires. I tried taking the slack out by pulling the triger back with the safety on but it didn't help much. I wonder if it will get better with more use?
Equinox
TPM

Post by TPM »

First of all us Excal owners have been spoiled with having such great triggers thus far. Crossbows have historically been plagued with bad triggers and BillT has done a wonderful job overcoming that obsticle. From what I understand the trigger assembly has been moved forward to accomadate the new stock design. Triggers can be finicky things and I'm sure the crew at Excal will work this out. This is a good example of why I never buy anything of new design until it's been on the market for at least a year and the bugs are worked out. I've worked on too many prototypes and too much custom designed equipment to believe that the first release of anything will be perfect.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The triggers should get better after a few hundred shots. However, not sure the travel issue will get better because your length of travel shouldn't change as you shoot.

After Matthias72 questioned my pulling the trigger with the safety on, I went out and shot some yesterday paying attention to my routine. I actually cock the bow, put on the safety, pull the trigger to take up the slack and make sure the safety is working, then I load a bolt and do my shooting routine. Worst thing that could happen doing this is a dry fire and that hasn't, yet. :D I also noticed that pulling the trigger with the safety on does not seem to help very much . . .every once in a while I'd get a very small movement. Therefore, I don't think it would help you guys with the new bows, heck it probably doesn't help me either. Try concertrating more on your follow-thru. Make sure you are making a smooth/continuous pull on the trigger. I think my trigger is working very well, however, when I hestitate on the pull of the trigger, then I also get a two cycle effect. I've seen some guys say they are basically surprised when the bow fires as they slowly squeeze the trigger. Not me, I know exactly when the bow will fire because I do what I call a controlled pull. I do not jerk, but, I definitely pull the trigger and my finger finishes with the trigger resting between my finger and the trigger guard for about 5 seconds after the shot. Getting my finger/trigger combo to the trigger guard is my goal . . .the release of the bolt is simply the result. There's probably a fine line between what I do and pulling with a jerk . . .do not jerk.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

This week-end I'll try to do the same. However our Venatores used about 20 different Excalibur (Exomax and Exocet200 principally) and I never found two equal triggers: some one is better than other. But I think that the pratice is the principal thing: also a not so good trigger could became enough good if you know well it. The real problem for the precision on my opinion is the crossbow support: shooting by hands is the whorse position, every kind of little defect, as crossbow weight, crossbow balancing, scope position, magnification, reticle type, and of course also the trigger, is exalted. Find a correct way to support in hunting or in targeting your crossbow and all problems will become very smaller.

regards

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Camper

Post by Camper »

I just want to make sure that for the money I spent that the trigger is as good if not better then my previous exomag.

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

camper . . .I'm going to have to agree with TPM on this one . . .it's a new design. You are looking for an answer that only time can give. I'm however willing to wager a fair sum of money that if there is a flaw, then Excalibur will make good on it. Just like the flaw with the scope mount. Your money was well spent.

The best indication of the future is the most present past.

Excalibur stands behind it's product.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
A.W

Post by A.W »

sumner4991 wrote: After Matthias72 questioned my pulling the trigger with the safety on, I went out and shot some yesterday paying attention to my routine. I actually cock the bow, put on the safety, pull the trigger to take up the slack and make sure the safety is working, then I load a bolt and do my shooting routine. Worst thing that could happen doing this is a dry fire and that hasn't, yet. :D
sumner4991. I think you should reconsider your method a little. Like you say. "The worst thing that could happen is a dry fire and that hasn't happened yet"

The operative word here is "YET". If you slip up and do get a dry fire that would ruin your day.....as well as your bow.

I did similar to you when I first got my bow but I put my bolt in first then pointed in a safe direction and pulled the trigger to take up any slack. I don't have any slack now though. Worked in quite well.

Not a criticism. I just wouldn't like you to screw up your hunt/day. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

A.W. . . .I agree with you. Probably not a good practice. I had gotten into the habit of holding down the safety with my thumb and squeezing the trigger after I cocked the bow. Anyway, since that post, I have looked closely at my routine and am in process of making some adjustments. When I first got my bow, it seemed to help. However, not sure it's because it's broke in with all the shooting I have done or it was just "in my head", but, there is very little to no movement. I'd bet it was in my head. :lol: However, if I had the choice, I'd rather have a dry fire than a mis-fire, especially if I wasn't aiming at a safe target.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Camper

Post by Camper »

Looking back on my reply I noticed that it sounded harsh and that was not my intention. :oops: I know my money was well spent on an excalibur. I have been using an exomag since 2001 and it has worked flawlessly.

I do however expect certain things from an excalibur crossbow and they are famous for their triggers. Having said that, I am very happy with the Vortex crossbow and plan on keeping this one for as long if not longer then my 2001 exomag.

I emailed Excalibur and inquired about the issue. I am sure that they will explain everything.

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
ch312

Post by ch312 »

nothing a little jb weld, shims and a stone couldnt fix :wink: